Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the game for the first time. No idea what route that is but it is whatever comes from beating Eve when he freaks out with his brother being dead. I have to say I have no idea what to feel after reaching my first proper ending in a Nier game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dyzzy posted:

You've got a long journey ahead of you, friend

I know. Only a single question in the game was really answered so far.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still can't get over just how good the god cult section is in the lead up to the first ending. It is confusing and messed up, but the masterstroke is how they handle segments that in any other game would be segments of high or low stress.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Won't be able to play the game for about a week but I did start on path B and it is amazing how quickly the new content escalates into weirdness.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just beat Beauvoir for the first time as 9s. I have to say I can see why that boss fight would mess him up more then it did 2B.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide out there for sidequests that allows you to only check what is available on certain routes?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Deeper into the second playthrough and it is amazing how in this game the deeper you get into the game, the less sense everything makes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Second playthrough ending thoughts. I hope the remaining routes start going into the why of everything as right now almost nothing makes sense.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well that escalated quickly seems like a good way to sum up this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing just how inventively things go horrible wrong in this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

50% of the game is 9S getting poo poo on.

Lets be fair. 90% of the game is either making GBS threads on or building up to poo poo on the unlucky bastards in the story.

Edit: Just reached ending D and christ it is depressing. Especially if you chose the stay option at the end.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 20, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just got ending E and bravo. This game really was something else entirely. Unfortunately there was stuff I needed to finish so I have to start the process all over again. However, I honestly don't regret doing so as it felt thematically right to sacrifice everything to help someone else. The ending sequence in general was something amazing and though I eventually came to depend on the groups support, I am curious to know if anybody managed to beat it without doing so.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 20, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Question: I'm probably just an idiot since I'm pretty sure I missed it - I'm in my 3rd play and I feel like, from context elsewhere, I should have found the person who lets me upgrade weapons from Lvl 3 to Lvl 4? Did I bypass it like a dolt, or have I not gotten to that yet?

I only discovered it by accident so don't worry about it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Also, gently caress me, that was phenomenal.

Out of curiosity. Out of the main machine faction was the only none rear end in a top hat Eve?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

warhammer651 posted:

In a game whose final ending is about taking a third option to ensure the best ending, I feel perfectly justified taking a third option to both help other players while preserving my progress.

But it is also just as much about being willing to sacrifice everything to help someone else.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity, does the Jean-Paul side quest change if you do it whilst playing as 9S?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So why exactly was YoHRa designed to self destruct? As in why was the idea of an eternal war so appealing to those who created the organization.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So where can you find pearls for weapon upgrades?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing just how good it feels when you finally discover the true part of the final ending. I was determined to do it all and I could not even think of backing down but eventually it wore me down and I reached out for help thinking that I had somehow failed. So instead discovering the true meaning of the endgame put a smile on my face as there was something so comforting about being supported by the community. It left me in such a positive state that even with me planning to platinum the game I did not hesitate to wipe my data as that was the only response that felt right. On a more personal note this time last year was particularly rough for me and I still carry some mental scars from what happened. So going from the super depressing ending D and C to reach such a ending felt real good. Also if anyone sees Hunter supporting you then chances are that is my data doing so.

For gameplay, does anybody have any advice for the secret boss, the one that is completely unique?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Who is left that he could really talk to? By that point in the game everybody was either broken or about to break so there was no one able to help 9S deal with his growing crisis of hope and faith.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Oh good, I've got a question. Throughout route C you're asked if you want to assist (read: play as) 9S or A2. I've been choosing A2 each time because I was kind of burnt out on hacking and just wanted to wreck poo poo in berserk mode. Will the game eventually force me into playing as 9S to get him caught up to where A2 is, or will I be going through the entirety of it A2?
No spoilers as to what happens, please. Just want to know if I'll have to save 9S' stuff until the chapter select option that I've been spoiled on already.

You have to play through both characters for story reasons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Jackass, Anemone and all the other resistance androids.

Animal Loving Machine.

Machine on a Break.

Genius Inventor Machine.

None of the machines for obvious reasons and I doubt the resistance would appreciate being told that they are fighting for nothing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Hence, Jackass, because she already knows, and she's the one that wrote the report that spills the beans for 9S in the first place.

Really? Guess I never looked too closely at the documents spelling out that humanity was extinct.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My love of jackass was cemented with the final box sorting quest so I am impressed that the game can come up with even more ways for her to be awesome.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Thankfully I hoarded materials in Routes A and B so all these sidequests in C are a joke. Receive quest for items, already have items, boom.

I still can't get Emil to offer weapons. He did the first time I stopped him in A, but never on B and not so far on C.

You have to move him around by repeatedly visiting him and then leaving the area.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have. I stopped him near the desert camp, in the crater, near the resistance camp, and on the opposite side of the wrecked goliath. The first time at the desert camp he sold weapons, but I have stopped him there again and he was just selling chips.

All you can do is just keep on trying.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how do you deal with the secret bosses gently caress you attack?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

You don't have to do anything merciful for him at all. I just ignored what he said and left. Fucker needs to deal with his grief like a man. No easy way out.

That is the rear end in a top hat option. Anybody would break if they found out that in their attempts to try and educate children to be risk averse had led to them committing suicide.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

If Pascal cant get over all their deaths then he isnt a machine worth jack poo poo. If Pascal was human or capable of going outside his programing of being a test on pacifism hed simply realise infront of unconditional violence pacifism does not work. Passive nihilism isnt the answer to failure, you change and try again or go a compleatly diffrent path.

It turns out that this event is an excellent way to sort out those who are incapable of even the smallest amount of compassion or understanding. An individual who did all they could to try to find and help spread peace saw it all come apart at the seems and even when he threw away his pacifism and went full on kill crazy in a desperate attempt to protect the children he cared so much about, he is rewarded by seeing every child commit fear induced suicide.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Holy poo poo 9S in Route C. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. :stonk:

It turns out that the worst time for horrible events to occur is when someone is already having a crisis of faith.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any good grinding spots for the late game? I am busy trying to up my level for the ultimate secret boss.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I finished Route C, getting Ending D. After how disappointing I found Route B, Route C was a hell of a lot better.

Loved 9S going insane, thought the fate of Pascal's village was sad as poo poo, and loved the unexpected WTF that was going into the reconstruction of the library from the first NieR.

I appreciate Route B because it expands upon the world and the addition they make to the ending is a good little wtf moment to tempt you into Route C.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To make matters worse she then kills 21O just after she spent the entire battle confessing to 9S that all she wanted was to be family with him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do hope that more games start to really take advantage of the unique experiences only they can provide.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just view him as broken by the time the game ends rather then racist. Considering what the main robot group had done to both YorHa and Pascal's village I don't see anything wrong in wanting them dead.

Going back to the image I think having 9S sit down works a bit better due to what happens to both him and Asuka at the end of Route A/B and the movie respectively \.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KamikazePotato posted:

Yeah by the end of the game 9S pretty clearly understands that androids are sentient, he's just in full-on LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU mode because revenge is all he has left to keep him going.

Combine this with the stay behind ending which I think is the more thematic choice and you have a broken kid who the only thing he hates more then himself is the things that hurt the one bright spot in his life.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
E stands for execution. Units specifically designed to kill other androids. So 2B's purpose was to be a leash for 9S and anytime he finds out too much then she kills him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

some guy on the bus posted:

Thank you. Why did they give 2B the virus while 9s was still alive?

By the way, are there big android cities somewhere? Or are the ones in the Resistance Area the last group? Is there anyone overseeing the destruction of YoRha?

I'm going to replay that last part again. I could have missed something just because I was playing it at 3 AM. (Going to work with 2 hours sleep)

Due to what happened with Eve 9S was seriously out of date with the regular check up to the server meaning that he was mostly safe from the virus but even still it got into his system. 2B was less updated with the server but still more recently then 9S so she got hit earlier by it. In regards to other androids I think there are other groups scattered around the planet, you just never see them as you are too busy dealing with everything in your small area.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The trick is to start using healing chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At least we can be sure that those machine cores did not come from the children of Pascal's village.