Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

arisu posted:

About 9 hours in now, taking my time with exploration and side quests though. Game's got a lot more charm than I was expecting when I started, the machines themselves have so much personality. They're some of my favorite parts.

I really love all the ways they find to differentiate themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh weird i think they changed some of the camera angles in the patches so that now you can see outside the world in places that you couldn't before :confuoot:

like they're substituting bugs for other bugs, thanks yoko taro

lol (no spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDybV35fvdA

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 26, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

holy poo poo this music

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ending a thanks a lot square enix pr

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh man i am so enthusiastic about the way b route starts

pretty sure they're spelling things at me with bullets now, but maybe in japanese? right around the time when 9S has his line about nothing the machines do meaning anything.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 26, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

people are saying to restart your ps4 if you haven't already tried that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

haha of course there was an invisible weapon out in the middle of the desert

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sorry i have no idea where i stumbled across it and there's no mark or anything left behind :shrug:

it was the phoenix lance, i tried googling it but there's nothing but talk about it from the first game

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 27, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can change difficulty at any time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Memory leaks aren't a problem when you have to restart the game or your whole console on a regular basis due to bugs :kiddo:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Regular ps4. Yesterday I heard a pop and then the right audio channel went out, so I went to dashboard and it was out there too so I started to get worried, but restarting the console fixed it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You keep your level and everything so getting to ending b is really quick and you absolutely should do it

Don't like skip cutscenes though

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you start with a launcher by hitting heavy attack right after jump you get more height than just double jumping too

Whoops it's heavy

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 27, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hidden weapon do some fishing in the sewers :D

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Everything about Route C owns so much so far. Holy fuuuuuuck. A2 is amazing, I love her. Anyone know what the red means on her evasion tech when held down? It feels like a prompt to do something, but I'm not sure what.

maybe just a longer evade?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dazat posted:

I just started Route B and... Did they just directly reference Prometheus Beepy?! Sob.

That's what I took it as a reference to

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i assumed fist weapons were going to use the unarmed moveset so i never used them and that was a big mistake holy poo poo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm in route c but this is just gameplay related did I miss the third pod somewhere? I've had vulcan and missile forever and I chase down every sidequest marker that shows up but I still haven't found the third. Maybe I need to fish it up somewhere?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Finished it. I don't know what people who are new to the series will think but I loved it. 95% sidequests, 97% weapons, 42 hours.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 1, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't even know how to tag this. npcs? Doesn't seem like anyone has figured out what to do with the apologetic machines and their locked doors. Of course they could just do nothing, ever :yum:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

For people who've finished the game all the way: Did you read the translation of the stage play? If you didn't, what was your feeling on A2? I think they give a decent amount of the backstory in game if you do Anemone's memories sidequest and then talk to her as A2 and read the terminals, but I'm still wondering how people are going to take her.

Speaking of important sidequests, if you don't do the red hood sidequest does the type-E thing at the very end just come completely out of left field? I think the only other mention of it is in A2's intel, which is also optional lol

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this unit data sidequest is killing me

Mindblast posted:

Also I just finished the game, all main endings. That was some crazy poo poo. Still wondering about 2E's actual assignment and how feasible/useful it was. If I get it correctly, the purpose was to kill 9s to... what, reset him? Keep him from learning too much because he was so advanced he would end up always figuring it out? Is the suggestion that 9s and 2B/E go back way longer than we're shown and 9s just can't remember? Maybe I just missed archive items.

Yeah, it's been happening since before the game started. If you think back there were actually a lot of little signs of it. The first time you're in the bunker one of the operators mentions how often she sees 2B and 9S together and how close they supposedly are, but at the time as far as you know it's just like, the third time they've ever met? 2B's super strong reaction to 9S getting hurt (it's not like she freaks out about her squad getting pasted on the way in, or really anyone but 9S at any point ever), and then her clenched fist moment after finding out he lost his memory of it. At the end of A and B route when she's sobbing about how it's always like this. Her going all BEEP BOOP EMOTIONS ARE PROHIBITED every time 9S shows even the slightest affection for her. Maybe even her first lines when you start a new game? There are probably a lot more.

Also there are a few side missions that are pretty explicitly type-E poo poo, like apparently normal units aren't regularly given confidential missions to hunt down traitors. They're ordered to attack A2 immediately and A2's intel talks about her being hunted by type-Es, etc.

e: route c turns out A2's red dash does damage while in berserk mode

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 2, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

any interest in a discord? be fun to chat about it because i'm kind of going crazy over here. separate channel for super spoilers, you know. probably wouldn't be active for too long, but i dunno the game is actually selling pretty great in japan so who knows maybe we're in for a deluge of yoko taro games

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

arisu posted:

No memory alloy? That's my biggest bottleneck. :(

can you not buy that from emil or the carnival zombie?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

2nd boss the THIS CANNOT CONTINUE version of the music in that fight is amazing. if you couldn't hear it well you should look it up on youtube, it's super catchy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

buy as many copies as you can

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

looks cool?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol the steam forum for this game is a trash fire

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Something like that spoils basically nothing for you, I promise.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dazat posted:

Bonus Boss Spoilers: Does anyone know how to trigger the second Emil fight? I've already beat him outside his room.

you need all the weapons and they all need to be upgraded to lvl 4

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a live event going on right now. Yoko Taro said he wants DLC for this game to be like Witcher 3's (!) but there's no realistic expectation of that.

It's pretty heartening that he wants to do something substantial at least. All comes down to how much money Square is willing to give him.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This review on metacritic lol

quote:

Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It’s not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can't permanently miss sidequests, you'll always have a chance to do them later if you want. Sometimes they just go away for a while.

Watching streams, yikes @ people just running in and slaughtering non-hostiles

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

But also lol if you think you're ever going to go back to the first nier if you start automata

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

A lot of what I've seen is people playing on hard because they're real tough guys and then being super afraid of getting close to enemies because every hit does 90 to 100% of their health. but of course they'll never turn the difficulty down.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's a chip that lets you push toward attacks as a parry

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No, enemies do less damage on easy and take more from your attacks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

White moose and boar meat sells for a lot. If you're in your first playthrough don't worry about it, the game starts raining machine cores on you later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can uh, turn it down at any time