Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A pretty promising demo, although I fear it doesn't quite demonstrate how the full game will work. Nier was vaguely open-world, with a few spacious field zones spreading out its towns and dungeons. I wonder if any of that is retained or if the game is basically linear in terms of levels and stages.

That said, this feels like a bold and smart evolution of Nier's core gameplay, placing more emphasis on the action but not skipping the fluid and varied changes in gameplay that made Nier so compelling. I feel like they kind of took too much inspiration from the sequence under Emil's Mansion but at the same time, the ever-changing perspective helps spice up the combat and emphasises the shooting mechanics.

Shooting AND comboing attacks is tough to wrap around but I felt pretty decent at it by the demo's end.

Do the harder difficulties do the traditional Platinum thing and have different enemy types, or is the demo limited to cute robots and giant saw arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

they have showed several open world zones and a town area in gameplay demonstrations this year

boar and elk drifting ftw

ELK DRIFTING!?!?!?!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

nier: automata, the sequel to the novel-only, unofficially translated ending to the sequel to the most batshit ending of a batshit ps2 musou clone

For gently caress's sake

Nier ended with us murdering the king of the Shades, killing Devola and Popula, and condemning both humanity and the replicants to slow exinction.

Is that not the actual ending? Why is that not the actual ending

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Here's hoping he wakes up one morning and discovers he's in charge of Final Fantasy XVI.

We joke, but Tetsuya Nomura as I recall discovered he was attached to Final Fantasy XV in this way.

Tetsuya Nomura also apparently is basically drunk all the time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He could probably make a pretty great Shin Megami Tensei game. A very hosed up one, but still.

I don't think you're wrong. I would love to see him helm a spin-off title. Hell, give him Devil Summoner, that series can kinda be whatever it wants.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

i still can't believe how many reviews of nier obviously stopped playing before the mansion kicks off the gameplay experimentation

I was genuinely surprised and pleased to see that it was that half of Nier that clearly delivered the greatest inspiration to Platinum as they tackled the sequel. I suppose Nier is at fault for obscuring its true value until halfway through the game, but once it does start going off the rails, it's just wonderful.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DatonKallandor posted:

And neither of them are canon for Automata I think. Because Yoko Taro.

It's too ridiculous to me. Frankly, in my opinion, Nier has one ending and it is bittersweet and reasonably simple. Papa Nier saves his daughter, but ultimately and unknowingly dooms mankind. Popola and Devola are dead, which might suggest the Replicants are all doomed to die out from being unable to breed but I always felt that the existence of all those other tribes suggests that breeding as usual exists and in ample supply.

This is the ending I assume will be going on for Automata, an ending with a world where all human life has finally extinguished.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

If you own FFXV, apparently the newest patch added Nier music to the ingame radio

Motherfuck, I may boot it up for an hour or two just for that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fast travel is exist

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to finally play this game tomorrow!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, how do I access the DLC items? I got the Day One version, I wanna hang out with my book buddy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I've sunk about three hours in and I"m forcing myself away from the game just to sort of take it all in. poo poo's crazy and cool, combat feels great, exploration is a lot of fun, and I really like the enemy designs. The big open spaces in the first open world section seem kinda janky in places, there's pop-up and the graphics seem to strain more than I'd like, but the game runs smoothly when it needs to, particularly with combat and boss fights.

There's a lot of story questions I have right now, particularly since I'd beaten the first game. I've already seen some suspicious things, and I'm wondering if the twist here is going to be similar to the twist in the first game. Although...

In the background of the Resistance Camp I see Popola and Devola just chilling, not sure if that's just a cameo or not. Also it's sad and unnerving to see the masks of the City of Rules being worn by robots in the desert. Also the robot city is the cutest loving thing ever.

This game is really really good, graphical hiccups aside.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm kinda stuck. I just beat a really big boss and now I've been given a scanner and told to find some friends. It doesn't say where to go, so I've been wandering around aimlessly without much success. Where should I be scanning?

I just beat the big fish boss guy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, the game finally crashed on me. PS4-era games have crashed on me more often than any era since, like, scratched up PSX games. Still, it's taken ten hours to get to that point, so that's something.

This game is so incredible. If SE uses this game as the skeleton to do action RPGs from here on out, they'll be doing themselves a real favor. Platinum also demonstrate their skill and versatility, crafting a battle system with the satisfying mechanics they're known for while maintaining the feel of an action RPG over, say, a Bayonetta.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope that they repurpose this game's engine for future RPGs. There's so much here that's brilliant, particularly the way the game flows in and out of a free 3-D moving space to 2-D spaces, particularly when you're in towns and villages. It allows them to take a very small space and expand it without using up real-estate.

Like, imagine if the FF7 Remake had a similar flow. Exploring Cosmo Canyon like it was the village in this game would be incredible. The seamless way action and exploration is integrated is really wonderful.

This game does so many things so incredibly well. But...

Anyone here playing on the Plus? If so, can you comment on whether the final boss of Route A was really janky and glitchy on your end? Is there pop-up and frame stutters at points?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is great. Route...uh....C? Spoilers? Look, major loving spoilers

I just built a bunch of robot children a slide and now they are sliding down it in all the time and I did that, I made that happen, and this is a good game and a good world and everything is going to be okay. :shobon:

EDIT: why did I post that oh god why :negative:

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 12, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if it's unusual or not, but for the big...uh...choice following that section, I took the third option blind to the outcome. So I'll see what that does.

Which means (BIG SPOILERS) I did not erase Pascal's memories, nor kill him. I left him to live with it. Human beings do not have the luxury of choosing to forget bad memories. His death won't bring anyone back.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dazat posted:

Man, you guys are cold as ice.

Without memories, you cannot grow.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ending C got.

I think some initial streamers and stuff complaining about the game's length are getting tripped up by the A-route ending, this game basically is twice that length and hoo boy...

It's just loving great, it really is. Has anyone else been noticing a TON of Dark Souls references? The "recover your corpse" gameplay conceit is one thing, but there's a lot of Souls-like gameplay concepts at work. I found a hidden area at the bottom of what I thought was a bottomless pit, and another pseudo hidden route that I discovered because I thought it looked similar to another Souls-like route...

I'm not complaining remotely, it's great to see Dark Souls of all games influence a modern ARPG. This game does such wonders for the genre that it should be made the new gold standard as to how to implement RPG mechanics into an action combat engine.

As a fan of Platinum games, I love how much Platinum DNA is in this title. Some of the enemy types are recognizable from Bayonetta, others feel akin to Transformers, and the run and gun/hack and slash mechanics are as excellent as you'd expect from the studio.

EDIT: In terms of...uh...further endings, is there still more? Is there a definitive "endgame" I still need to reach?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god. That ending sequence.

I teared up when it all went down.

ENDING SPOILERS

When I learned that the people who came and saved me had to sacrifice their save data to do it, it legit made me cry. I haven't been so affected by a video game ending since Undertale. What an incredible way to go. By the end, I felt like there was only one thing I could do to repay that kindness, those people who came and helped me when I needed it.

I mean, I don't know what to say exactly, but it's so perfect. It's absolutely wonderful. I've never felt such a heartfelt gratitude at the end of a game, not in a long while at least.

Nier: Automata is truly a masterpiece.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game's story is really good, and it touches on a whole variety of themes in really interesting ways. Even moreso than its predecessor, I think Nier:Automata will be a game that really explores a wide range of very deep human emotions and concepts. Full game spoilers from here on out:

The fact that the war between the androids and machines is blatantly pointless is a clear statement on Taro's overall sentiments towards war and violence. There is no way for this war to ever be won by anybody, and at the point where the game begins the only people invested in maintaining the battle are the Commander and the leaders of the Machine Network. Average Machines, and an increasing amount of disconnected machines, do not care about the war and understand it even less than the androids do.

I think it's very interesting that the alien-built machines want to try and imitate humans, not their alien masters. In fact, there's barely any evidence of alien culture in the design or behavior of the machine lifeforms, to the point where had we not seen actual dead aliens in an alien spaceship, I'd be truly skeptical that there even WERE aliens. The alien invasion seems to be a very overt red herring, but I can't help but feel like there's a larger message being made here. Humanity going extinct is blamed on Devola and Popola, even though I had thought it was Grimoire Weiss's failure to merge with his counterpart that was the actual Big gently caress Up in Nier 1. Still, if the stated canon is the canon to be taken to heart, you can argue that both the machines and the androids inevitably killed their creators.

It ties in with the opening statement about killing God. If you look at life and death as a problem of being perpetually trapped in a bleak and pointless world, then the presence of a supreme being who oversees that, your creator, would be an intolerable offense. It's a kind of Buddhist concept gone to a murderous degree. Both the machines and the androids actually killed their god, and the result is them both living aimless lives whose only meaning seems to come from conflict. Even though we see that peace rejectinand harmony can function, ultimately both sides choose war and die for it.

It seems clear that the machines are self-replicating, so even with the destruction of the Tower I have no reason to doubt that the machine race will continue to exist on Earth as its new dominant species. Interestingly, now that A2 has created a schism in the Machine Network, will that ultimately create the cycle of war and violence anew? If so, that's kind of hilarious--even without the androids, the machines are quite capable of sustaining this state of eternal war forever.

I think that's what makes Pascal such a heartbreaking figure, because he represents an eventual hope that the machines could change from within. The fact that he is ultimately betrayed by his own kind, not by androids, is significant. Also, he detests violence, but in a fiery need to protect the children of his tribe, he embraces bloodshed and actively seeks to kill, but the reward for his violence is only more death. Indeed, he may be right to blame himself: the children's last sight of their beloved Uncle Pascal was him shouting that he would smash and kill all their enemies. Their whole world has been destroyed, and the one constant source of peace in their world has gone berserk. By rejecting his principles, Pascal loses everything he had worked to build.

I think that's why it's fitting to leave him to live with it. It's a pity the game treats this as a "bad" state, since there's no scene to follow-up on that choice. I wonder if there will be a DLC in that regard?

Either way, that's just the tip of the iceburg. This game is incredible, the storytelling especially so, and it elegantly explores a variety of themes and concepts without feeling heavy-handed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's astonishingly heartfelt for being relentlessly depressing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is a lot like Undertale in a lot of ways, almost all of which are indirect, and few have to do with the fact that both integrate RPG mechanics with bullet hell game mechanics.

That said, am I the only one who kind of think Nier 1 had better bosses? You have less cool Platinum-style duels like you do in this game, but you had a lot more big monsters with various bullet configuration attacks...I dunno, I feel like you had more visual variety and just more interesting designs in the first game.

Though I guess the names of the bosses have more meaning in Automata than the first one.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lakbay posted:

Just got ending E

I am weak willed and could not give up my save data to save someone else :smith:

I started crying when I found out about that, because so many people had come and helped me. Four people died so I could beat the credits. And there were...maybe eight different names who appeared to my aid. So many people gave up their saves just to bring my worthless self past the credits...at that point, I felt like I had to honor that sacrifice by doing the same.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

melodicwaffle posted:

I just got ending E.

Video games are good when they produce feelings.

Same here. I actually want to step away and savor it for awhile, but in a couple months or so I wanna do a thorough completionist run and see just what else there is to discover. This game ends on such a surprisingly strong emotional high note.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never found Emil's house. :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Monomythian posted:

Oh my god, did I seriously just destroy a bunch of players save data?! by getting hit in the final shump section for ending E?

They gave up their 30 hour save files so I could finish the game.

It's genius to have other players data save you in the end to understand how important it is to give up yours.

Taro does it again.

It's basically the best credits sequence since Undertale

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

XavierGenisi posted:

Okay I beat Ending C, went back and got Ending D, but then (final ending spoilers?) the pods started talking and I'm going into Ending E??? I kinda just quit out of there kinda worried on if it was anything like Ending D from the origional. Is it safe to go in and do that ending, or should I go ahead and do all the other stuff I missed? Cause I do wanna go back and finish all the sidequests and get all the weapons and what not.

Do you believe games are a waste of time?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fadam posted:

Is it ever explained:

What the deal is with the eye/mouth masks the YoRHa androids wear?
The significance of the name YoRHa?

They are blinded by their orders, their devotion to their mission.

Notice A2 never covers her eyes. The other main characters remove them for moments of personal sorrow or anger or stress, character moments where their very identities are on the line.

It could also play to a motif that justice is blind, which sort of fits the very righteous rhetoric of the YoRHa mission.

It's symbolic, in other words. I have no idea wht YoRHa is, except a possible careful nod towards Yonah from Nier 1.

EDIT: Ha ha, in fact (major spoilers) Both YoRHa and Yonah contract a fatal disease!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dasmause posted:

Self-destruct is purely a gameplay function, you can hold R3+L3 for a few seconds to explode, leaving you at 1 HP and dealing damage to everyone around you. I think disabling it is for people with wonky gamepad so they wouldn't kill themselves on accident

Though you'd be surprised what happens if you self-destruct in the right places...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

"i didnt finish the game and the plot doesnt pay off in tge first ten hours".

also how the hell did this guy spend thirty hours in route a what the gently caress

His criticisms for the open world part aren't entirely unfounded, but I feel he neglects to talk about how the map will change a couple of times throughout the adventure, or that the geographically close map design is reminiscent of the first Nier and also of Dark Souls, which featured a fairly densely stacked world that was more or less geographically sensible within itself.

Also people hate on these sidequests! What gives? Did they not play the first game? The first Nier's sidequests are legit pretty bad, mostly generic with a handful of really good ones here and there (and the banter was great of course) but this game's got sidequests that actually tie into the main plot, and most of them involve performing a specific task or accomplishing a goal, not just "kill x wolves" and whatnot. Hell, the ones that tasked me to get materials and stuff tended to be solved right away, since you can take quests across the various paths, which actually takes the NG+ style and puts it to good use. I'd say this game's sidequests are far more thematically interesting than a majority of its contemporaries.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In fairness, the Emil in the car is not the original Emil, nor are the giant Emils the only ones left on the planet so while all of them do die, Emil isn't extinct after that. The Emil's Fists story weapon is set ~500 years after Automata ending E, and describes new Emils still being made, dying, the machine network coming back and 2B's continued survival. So really, even if you want to call Emil human, it's not like we finish off the rest of the biological humans.

...well clearly I need to do a 100 percent run after all, there's a lot of lore I've missed out on.

Ah but I was...there's so many games...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Canadian posted:

alright well then Just seems massively short sighted? Starting the game it seems like the androids on the surface basically need Yorha because they are losing pretty badly, and I must imagine the machines control the vast majority of the planet. Setting up for the lie to keep everyone happy only seems to work for me if the androids have things firmly in control to begin with.

Androids on on the surface are doing okay, they're all basically soldiering nomads and they don't exactly need food or water or anything. Consider too that they were sending up resources to the Bunker and to the Moon, because you don't have fuel in space. The notion is that Earth has resources and androids have set up means of extracting and refining those to service their war effort. Destroying YoRHa doesn't wipe out the android species, but it probably annhilated a significant chunk of their numbers, and whatever resources the Bunker itself had. I doubt the Resistance can build one on their own.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mazerunner posted:

wow I guess I thought the cutscene was the same and wasn't paying attention because I totally missed them there

I wonder what the significance is? Like are they there to show that both of them are already infected with the virus that's gonna doom them? Or just a dramatic flair to show that this is all happening to another being's design?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

drat, well thanks, that's all I needed to know. I'll wait til it's cheap.

The enemy design in this game is really good, but it sort of all follows a similar theme: many of the enemies have those big-eyed robot heads someplace on them, but there's a decent amount of varied enemy types, including flying vehicles, three size variations of the basic grunt, the basic enemy type with a variety of costumes and unique weapons (some wield buzz saws, for example) and then there's boss enemies, really large enemies, and then there are a few weirder enemies, like a sort of artillery thing and snakes.

I love fighting the enemies in this game, particularly because they have so much character and personality to their designs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am pretty annoyed that walking away from Pascal doesn't have more of a pay off.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

don't worry he probably just kills himself in that scenario

Ah. Probably for the best.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mindblast posted:

It's a pity that they have no meaningful dlc planned even though Nier 1 and Drakengard 3 did get it. I guess that is the true meaning behind the (exploration spoiler, I guess?)the apologising machines. Although I would've just hoped they'd cover them up entirely but them's the breaks during development. Some things probably got axed a stage that made it easier for them to animate an existing model rather than give the landscape a relatively small edit.

I would love for DLC for this game simply because I want more of it, but the locked doors are fine with me as is. Maybe I find it hard to get upset about them considering that the game not only apologizes to me for it, but also commits suicide so as to provide me with money as consolation.

I am placated by this.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Both Nier and Automata share a common theme regarding sexuality. Fairly heavy spoilers for both games following:

So in Nier 1 it is revealed that the Replicants can't breed on their own. It's unclear if they even have sex, although I guess that is implied, but all romantic couplings are in a way "pointless" to that end because people don't actually breed that way. This is revisited in Automata, where the androids have romantic and possibly even sexual relationships; even the machines seem to marry and have families and Jean-Paul is a legit heartbreaker.

In Automata it's more interesting because it's even more overt that these romances are even more devoid of physical intimacies that we humans find so deeply powerful. I'm not sure if there's any deeper statement to it, but in both Nier and Automata, love, romantic relationships, all of these things are for no purpose. Like the violence, which is almost always for no purpose, so too is the love. The androids can never breed. The machines may never truly understand love, even if they attempt to simulate it. The androids are even more doomed because they cannot even pass on their memories to the next generation. They may love in this moment, but when that love has died, there'll be nothing to show for it.

I dunno, it's a rambling thing, but I don't think I'm too off-base in at least pointing out that there seems to be as much a nullifying effect on love and sex in the Nier games as there is violence; neither seem to accomplish anything. In true Buddhist fashion, any hope in the future is completely wasted. The only thing that matters is this immediate instant. Taro wants you to accept that every moment you exist is infinitely precious, and as such you should spent those precious moments gathering striped screws from the robots in the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lakbay posted:

Please, You're just thinking about how badly you want to **** 2B aren't you?

Isn't everyone?