Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but the chanting plays throughout the whole song and it's not there in that version, and the other version is a different recording.

It's probably a slightly different version, yeah, given that's one of the earliest pieces of footage ever provided for the game.

The chanting is pretty consistent, though; it goes through almost two minutes. The soundtrack isn't going to be totally one style for the most part, to be fair, since it goes through (almost) all iterations and tempos of the song, so if you just wanted the faster-paced backing chant for the entire song you're out of luck there. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Have you had those guys catch you with their pinwheel charge while you're busy dodging the giant behemoth in front of you? Happens all the drat time. Stubbies are secretly the most dangerous unit in the machine force.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Phew. Sweet.

Edit: sorry for all the dumb questions, but what determines whether or not I can subjugate a machine? I usually don't get the option but I have done it.

You're not asking dumb questions, no sweat. Some of the mechanics and particulars can be a little obscure.

If the particular machine doesn't notice you, you can subjugate/remote control them after a successful hack. I don't think you need to be outside of combat altogether for it to work, and if you remote control a machine when others have aggro on you, they'll suddenly calm down.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Macarius Wrench posted:

I dunno, maybe its just not for me but given what platinum have done in the past Nier feels like a massive step backwards. Whatever. I'm not going to change peoples minds and vice versa but the hyperbole on display for this game is bordering on madness.

You mean given Ninja Turtles and Korra...?

It's an action RPG, not a character action game, and Platinum never intended to make it a character action game. I'd suggest taking a break from it and coming back again at some point in the future when you're not expecting Bayonetta 3, because it's not trying to be that. Everyone I've heard who expects Bayonetta 3 comes out disappointed, while everyone who expects "action RPG" is clearly more than satisfied.

Also, just saying, but "out of date and simplistic 10 years ago" is some incredible hyperbole, considering God of War 2 was released literally ten years ago.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Macarius Wrench posted:

I feel that's an accurate statement given Niers combat is less engaging or interesting than any of the God of War games.

Well, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I still suggest giving it another shot when your expectations are somewhat more fair to what was intended.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wow, Senran Kagura and Nier together. How would someone in that target audience not get the oozing feeling of that being a huge bootleg?

I wonder what the icon is fanart of so we can get a mismatched trifecta.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Kind of a bummer to hear it's not great, but I wasn't really expecting much from silly colosseum DLC. I'm still going to get it because I need something fun to help me level up to Super Secret Superboss level, plus upgrade materials for the last few weapons I have.

If nothing else, I get to play as A2 looking like a huge badass and see if 2B can be more like Kaine.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Definitely on purpose. There's more than one spot like that, and if you want to grind levels or materials, you'll be happy to know where they are.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Oh my god how did I not find this Shin Godzilla machine before, this is the best! Holy gently caress. Holy poo poo.

Well now I know what my favorite machine type in the game probably is, goddammit.

DLC spoilers: I'm having a lot of fun with this DLC, honestly (even at level 68; the "final" trial in the desert was a huge challenge but so satisfying when I nailed it), but that's partly because one of my favorite segments in the game was playing as 9S hacking a bunch of robots through the factory to help Pascal and 2B, and because I love weird limited challenge missions in games with solid combat (like the challenge missions in Devil May Cry, or the Alfheims in Bayonetta). Even more so because there's a fair chunk of worldbuilding and story going on in what I thought would just be fun arena fights, and I really appreciate a couple of the arenas just having huge piles of upgrade parts lying around while I finish upgrading all my weapons to +4.

The revelation that the desert machines aren't just emulating Facade without knowing what the place was about was pretty awesome. I like that not only are they still creating rules to this day, but even machines, who you think would be perfect for memorizing that kind of thing, occasionally forget which rules are which. And then they expect you, their king, to live up to all of them anyway.

I'm also very amused that the two strongest machines for the Poke-machine Colosseum are the gun stubby and the small axe biped. If you're good with dodges and timing, those things wreck poo poo.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ularg posted:

I really hate this speed star quest. I guess I have to farm movement speed chips and speed salves.

Come back to it when you've naturally picked up some speed chips/evade distance chips. There's also a couple of pod programs that will help you out if you fire them immediately upon starting the race.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Dabir posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of it's a one-off​spawn for a sidequest that you'll almost always have the items for as soon as you take it. Good thing that the quest is what gives you the unit data. Better thing that it sticks around afterwards so you can still go see it.

Is it? I just found him standing around in the forest.

And also in the forest DLC arena, which is fun to deal with alongside all the other bullshit.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

After beating the DLC, I can safely say it's worth it. There's some really interesting stuff there, and the fact that each arena is different in mechanics and tone helped it not feel like a slog to get through.

I am kind of concerned about the impact the marketing for it had; I know of a few people who said "I'm not getting some dumb DLC where I fight CEOs, I don't want that trash in my game". Whether justified or not, I feel like focusing on costumes and a silly side-fight for funsies may have detracted from people getting into some worthwhile story content. Ah well.

I was really surprised that they went with Plato as the focus of the last bit, even more so since I'd just gotten his weapon story to level 4. I don't think that's ever happened in this series before, depicting a weapon story in the game itself. Plenty of references to previous events, like Caim and Angelus or Father/Brother Nier, but I think this is the first time it's been the other way around.

I loved seeing what ended up being a machine version of the Bunker, too. The server room conversations were a lot of fun and pretty fascinating by implication. What I wasn't so sure about was the symbol they were building, which was also the ending icon; was I supposed to recognize that? Is it a Drakengard thing I forgot about?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

alright fine, i'm sold

are the silly side-fights at least unlimitedly replayable? or am i going to jump around with chapter select for these?

You can play everything as many times as you want. I don't think you need SPOILERS to do anything in the arena, but I haven't done it on a fresh save file yet, so I could be wrong.

Alder posted:

What story/lore part? Do you mean the little slideshow scenes after each battle? I watched them out of order so I may have missed something. Do you mean the Plato memories?

Plato, the slideshows, elaborations on the desert machines and their relation to Facade, the machine colosseum.

Augus posted:

The DLC also has (non-story spoilers) ridiculously hard Level 130 enemy gauntlets that have you refighting bosses, and reward you with the ability to lower your level and turn off Exp gain, so the potential is there for doing NG+ gimmick runs I guess

Wait you mean I can drop my level to go back to old bosses and not steamroll them now? gently caress me, now I have another goal.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Fangz posted:

I played through the game twice. For the glory of mankind.

I only did that to get all the sidequests and weapons and stuff I missed, but boy am I glad I did it anyway. A second playthrough recontextualizes so much.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Noper Q posted:

I'm all for trope subversions, especially in a Yoko Taro game, but not when it has a negative impact on gameplay.

So not like a fair chunk of every other game he's made???

I played through that boss twice, once with B-mode and several healing chips, and I didn't really have much of a problem with it. I feel like the key is to use the pod when it's in the air, then B it up on the ground. If you run out and go into the staggering cooldown, it's probably going to be when it's in the air and easier to avoid anyway.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Nina posted:

Grimoire Nier only covers the backstory though which I feel is really secondary. All the key elements to understand the plot and the characters are actually in-game.

I admit I'm exaggerating I know but for example understanding A2's arc and relationship with the antagonists requires knowledge of the stage play beyond the incredibly cut down summary within the game

I'd disagree. The important details of A2's arc are the gist of the Pearl Harbor situation, which we get from Anemone's perspective, and the reports on the prototype units we get after reading them. Yeah, there's elaboration that side materials provide to be sure, but we know she was viewed as disposable and her entire team that she formed a connection with was either infected with a login virus or willingly destroyed themselves to get rid of the server. Just by nature of their target being a significant machine server, we can extrapolate that they probably encountered the Terminals in some way, and A2 was the only one to make it. Yes, we're going on a fair amount of assumption here, but it's not a huge stretch.

The basic information we need to understand and appreciate A2's character arc is that she survived a mission she wasn't intended to, was hunted down by YoRHa to finish her off, and already hates machines because they're The Enemy and slaughtered the few people she'd managed to connect to. From there, we're able to see her growth in those aspects, leading to working with and defending machines and sacrificing herself for a member of the organization that viewed her as disposable.
I was able to understand and appreciate all of that even though I saw absolutely nothing of the stage play and never really bothered to read about/watch it.

I get what you're saying that there's a ton of supplemental stuff that leads to a greater understanding of the events of the game, but it's just that; a greater understanding. Much like learning that Kaine was a hermaphrodite, or Brother Nier was sexually abused to pay for Yonah's medicine. It's like hearing about the summary of Nier 1's backstory in regard to Popola and Devola and why everyone hates their model. I don't disagree at all that the supplemental material enriches the game's story, but I think it's a significant exaggeration, when given the amount of material the game provides, to say that the game doesn't provide key elements for understanding the plot beats. There are unanswered questions about certain details just like the original Nier.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ending E is probably the most uplifting and energizing sequence in a game I've seen for a long, long time. I'm not to the point of medication, but I've dealt with pretty rough depression and anxiety myself; sounds to me like you got to it at the right time for a nice surprise.

Hang in there, man. Keep on however you can.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Totally unrelated but my fiancée is making me an Emil mask so I can hang out at the poolside and look like a huge weirdo.

http://imgur.com/a/bQ6aE

I got a scarf with a pretty close pattern to Emil's, though it's not quite as faded. We'll also be hooking up bluetooth speakers to the inside so that I can blast Emil's English shop theme (thanks a bunch to the person who put that together) wherever I go.

I'll barely be able to see or hear but it'll be great. She's great.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 30, 2017

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

rear end posted:

I think that's what was also said in the novel after they open up the tower for 9S.

That's never stated, no. All that it mentions is that "due to the actions of Popola and Devola models from another town" humanity went extinct. It never states intent, just that their actions hosed everything up. They didn't want that to happen, but it did, and they were in charge of the one thing keeping the project together.

I dunno where everyone's getting the idea that Nier's Popola and Devola tried to gently caress the whole thing over. It's always been pretty obvious, especially with the perspective of the novel in Automata, that they knew their duty and were trying to balance keeping the Replicants unaware of the whole thing while also kinda starting to get fond of them after so long. Like in Automata, there's only so much you can keep telling yourself "they're not really people" before you start to crack.

The intention in sending Replicant Nier after the Shadowlord was that the Shadowlord would wreck him, or that Weiss would remember who he was and guide Nier to his purpose, but both of those hosed up tremendously because Nier is stubborn and became way stronger than Popola and Devola expected, and the Shadowlord eventually said "screw this" and went to try and do it himself. Which also hosed up.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

You can also just go into your chip loadout (been a while since I played the game, but it's in the pause menu) and remove any auto chips that you don't want to use. This lets you take off the training wheels pretty easily as you feel ready for it. For example, you can fully control attacks and your pod's gun, but you can have it automatically dodge if you're not feeling good about your reaction time, or automatically heal when you're low on health. Full-auto mode is literally "move to where you want to kill things or progress in the level".

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Why should I care?

I mean this is a discussion thread for discussions about the game. If you don't want to engage with someone's thoughts on the game in the thread about thoughts on the game then maybe ignore them instead of shutting them down arbitrarily.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I actually really liked the fishing in Automata because I could just read a book or something and wait for the "plunk".

This may also be my love of marine life speaking, though. I got a real kick out of the mystical Beetle Fish and the unspoilered basking shark.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Momomo posted:

How were their goals different from his? Helping him was literally their reason for existing, and they totally hosed it up.

Because D&P are also conflicted by the fact that they're actually liking and sympathizing with the Replicants. Think 9S's constant screaming of "they don't think, they're just machines," and that's what D&P were trying (and failing) really hard to do. Yes, they could have killed Nier Replicant so that Nier Gestalt could take his body back, but the problem is that they were seeing how hard Nier Replicant was struggling for Yonah Replicant. These are people that they've been watching for over a thousand years.

So yes, their intended goals are the same, but D&P have the added wrinkle of really not wanting to directly betray Nier Replicant. That's why everything fucks up.

I also felt that you weren't supposed to feel "the Shades were the good guys all along." Every single person is a selfish, short-sighted individual, and that's the point. The Replicants are murdering what's left of humanity, but at the same time, the old humanity is absolutely refusing to consider the "new" humanity, Replicants, to even be people. Route B only serves to show that the shades have their own flawed motivations; it's not just to say "you're a horrible person," but to say "everyone here is kind of horrible in their own way, the world is hosed up." Keeping in mind Yoko Taro's inspiration from 9/11 is helpful for looking at Nier.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

There was also the little wrinkle of Nier both not dying in the temple and beating Weiss into amnesia because he's kind of an idiot. If Weiss didn't lose his memory and magic, that would've taken care of the situation.

Also, the person who was Noire before becoming a grimoire was kind of an rear end in a top hat, from what I recall of the short story.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

And if the thread will indulge some sappiness for a moment while its fresh, I don't think there's been a more affecting song for me as "Weight of the World" (and all its variations) since Adagio for Strings in Homeworld. And much like how Homeworld used that one track for the triumphant launch of the Mothership after generations of struggle and sacrifice, followed by the tragic razing of Kharak destroying nearly all of it in an instant, and finally for the bittersweet return to Hiigara after losing so much I don't just mean "sadness" or "crying" but such a range of emotions that it's impossible to pin a single emotion to it. Something like crying when you're incredibly happy and relieved to put it a bit simply.

I feel that both Weight of the World and Ashes of Dreams are perfect songs to summarize both NieR games. It's such a beautiful, sweeping, encouraging melody, but the lyrics are fearful, sad, and struggling to be hopeful. You keep waiting for that comeback, but it never comes. You just have a few bits where you're struggling to find a silver lining, a "maybe it'll get better soon", but nothing's certain, and the outlook is bleak.

"For tho the storms are over and past,
Tho the thunder's rage is quieted at last
Well this nightmare's laid me down in the rags here to mourn,
Here to mourn.
The night has left us crippled with grief
As we strive to keep alive our belief,
But a loss so great, it clouds all our hopes for the dawn."
- Ashes of Dreams

"Cause we're going to shout it loud
Even if our words seem meaningless
It's like I'm carrying the weight of the world
I wish that someway, somehow
That I could save every one of us
But the truth is that I'm only one girl
Maybe if I keep believing my dreams will come to life
Come to life... "
- Weight of the World

I feel like they're both perfect for their respective games, too, considering their final themes and tones. There's just a little more determination with WotW, a little more hope, especially with the last version you hear. Ashes is just despondent, though, because you know that everything everyone's tried for has fallen apart by then. There's really no more hope left at the end of that one.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I think Popola's rant right before the end is a good description of Papa Nier's mentality by that point, too, just a little less manic.

"Stop? Stop? You want me to stop? You think I have the luxury to stop? You cut down my sister like an animal and you tell me to STOP!? No one STOPS!! It's way too late to STOP! No one... STOOOOOPS!!" He's been going for five years to rescue his daughter after she was kidnapped, and that after who knows how long of spending every waking moment working to afford medicine for her sickness. By the time he's done everything up to that point, he kinda has to keep going, to see everything through no matter the cost, especially if it means getting his daughter back.

It's much like how the player keeps playing past the point where things really start to fall apart and you lose all the people you've been with up to that point in the game. You've spent so much time and effort that you have to see it through to the end, and the rapid-fire poo poo that gets thrown at you once you get to the castle does not make it possible to slow down. No one can stop.

Games are such a loving good medium for storytelling. God I love Yoko Taro.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

Although now I have ro play Automata when I can. Consensus seems to be it is even better than NieR and not just in terms of gameplay? I would be playing it on that narrative mode I was told about anyway so the story and characters have a fight ahead of them.

They're both very strong games. I'd say Automata still edges out NieR for me, though they're very different stories and have different themes that they explore. If you liked NieR you really should go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

i am tim! posted:

Oh, so 2P is from Soul Calibur.
It's the name of her alt costume, isn't it? It's just "2nd Player", then, isn't it?

No it's Number Two Type Panasonic.