Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Nina posted:

I dunno to me the creepiest scene in the game is 9S’ gleeful and thrilled proclamation he’ll murder a roomful of 2Bs when you keep in mind that whole ”androids are programmed to feel plessure while killing” deal. Really makes me uncomfortable at the idea of leaving the guy alone with 2B if you go for Ending E

Since I can talk about spoilers without getting probated, the Adam sequence's censored text in the Japanese does not fit gently caress, it fits kill or violate. Kill is most likely anyways, since he actually lacks the organs, according to Yoko Taro, but you are right that 2B and 9S have one hosed-up relationship. The entire game is rather BDSM on this matter; the Yorha androids walk around in fetish gear with blindfolds. If there's anything intended, it's to suggest that their existence is one of torture and being tortured.

You've got to this of it this way; why did YoRHa choose to assign 2B to 9S, when their surveillance probably discovered that they had fallen in love with each other? The obvious, kind, decision, would have been to reassign 2E to another mission so she wouldn't have to kill 9S all the time, but YoRHa chose not to do so. Likewise, with the 11B recovery plot, you discover that her lover was quite unhinged, and 11B had to be somewhat selfish for trying to escape on her own. It's not simply the 2B / 9S axis that's screwed up, the entirety of YoRHa is not very right in the head.

That said, what did you find unsatisfactory in the 2B character? If A2 is a murderhobo, and 9S is a psychotic child, 2B has always impressed me as a character based on loyalty and willing suffering for her duty. I think you mentioned that Nier: Automata lacks an Emil-like sympathetic character, but 2B is the closest to a standard JRPG heroine, refusing to kill non-hostile machines in the amusement park section, for instance. She's the character that humanizes both 9S and A2 in different ways.

Nina posted:

To me the whole characterization just comes off as 2B being deeply disturbed by what she has to do specifically because of the messed up way they’re programmed to experience violence to the point she seems really eager to die when the opportunity arises. Meanwhile 9S is much more eager to go with the motions and be driven by his desires, even when he knows the truth he’s willing to ignore basic self-preservation instincts for the sake of being around her.

For the longest time the characters really bugged me because their dynamic felt way worse than the characters in the first Nier. But when I started thinking ”what if these characters actually feel intense discomfort around each other but are unable to let go” suddenly the interactions where they flip flop between inane bickering and actual care clicked. Like any actually good allegory it’s not direct but I can’t look at these two and not feel like they’re screaming a message about clingy, unhealthy relationships that damage both parties. They’re totally codependent and bad for each other.

If you've looked at the supplementary stories, 9S has tried to either kill or escape 2B multiple times, to minimal success. The one time he did succeed, though, he chose to kill himself so that he could remain near 2B in some way. So you're still right in a way. On the other hand, 9S is still a total jackass given that if he were to escape 2B, 2B would no longer be tasked with the endless "cycle of life and death" of murdering 9S and having to live with the trauma.

One thing you've allowed me to realize is the rationale of the Route C opening sequence. It never quite made any sense for me for 2B to send off 9S and work as a decoy; it was way too self-sacrificing when 2B, in my playthrough, was level 99 and 9S could have quickly dispatched the YoRHa units by hacking. But if you think of 2B's history, she's burdened by the guilt of killing 9S out of her duty repeatedly, and with YoRHa gone and no longer binding her, it's her way of making amends. 2B's final actions form a symmetry to 9S's suicide.

Kulkasha posted:

Yeah my buddy who beat the game before me went on and on about how existentialist the game is but once I beat it, it became pretty obvious that there's way more Buddhist DNA in the themes and plot.

There's many intersections between Buddhism and existentialism. Wang Yangming's Neo-Confucian School of Mind, for instance, has been described as essentially "Zen Buddhism", but it's also been described as Chinese existentialism. Buddhist emphases on "emptiness" also align with existentialist priorities on existence.

Charles_Kinbote fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

this is exactly why 2B is a really boring character

If you've gone through the material, she's like Kusanagi Suito from Oshii's Sky Crawlers: Suito's fate is that she's in love with a man, who is constantly killed and reincarnated. That, to me, is not boring, and even if she might feel like the joke "discard" protagonist of Nier: Automata, she's the heart and soul that gives it life.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
I think there's two angles to interpret the agency statement. First, 2B, despite having her virtues, or rather because of them, is a patriarchal female character. She lacks a self; everything she does is alternately for YoRHa or 9S. If 2B is identified through her weapons with samurai, she's like a samurai's wife in traditional obedience. The other angle is that video games are intended as escapism, and playing as a character who is just shoehorned into situations without personal agency is too much like real life.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
End of game spoilers:

Since we got up to the 9S freakout stage on TDI's LP, I think the actual explanation is, if he's looking at 2B's memories, not 9S's, then he's also looking at the memories of all the times she's killed him under orders. That actually explains his behavior: he knows that the data he's destroying is 2B's, and he's taking out his rage at being murdered and reincarnated around half a dozen times.

Charles_Kinbote fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 5, 2017