Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Walking simulator is the genre with most dead children per hour my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Gestalt had way better and more varied bosses imho. Automata had Marx in the prologue, Simone, and the rest felt kinda phoned in

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Doctor Teeth posted:

Finally got plat. gently caress farming simple gadgets.

anyway, is this the basic timeline of the series?

- drakengard's joke ending happens
- mid 21st century Nier and Yonah are human
- 1000 years later the events of Nier happen
- humans make androids to oversee project gestalt; popla and devola model gently caress up; project gestalt collapses; humans are doomed to extinction
- 4th ending of nier happens
- androids do ??? until...
- aliens invade, create the Machines, giving them cover to start YoRHa and instigate a forever war to give (most) androids some meaning in their "lives"
- machines rebel against the aliens; machines could easily win but have become curious about humans. they use YoRHa to learn more about humans, since androids lived among them and exhibit some of the same behaviors as humans
- automata happens
- Emil's Heads weapon story sets up a sequel

If all of that is correct the only thing I don't really get is what androids did from the extinction of humans until the aliens invaded.
Despite the events of Nier 1, other facilities for reclaiming gestalts around the world were still kicking! In the meantime, they set up the Human Heritage Restoration Project which was an attempt at keeping the human society go on, with the roles played by androids. The last non-Emil human died 700 years after Nier, and some centuries after a faction of androids rebelled and decided to all migrate to Australia, which is now a state independent from the android central government (which was what HHRP turned into after time).

So really, they were just... living. Doing human things with the knowledge of being androids. „Army of humanity” was a sham from the start.

Also, at some point magical-salt-tainted Tokyo gets sealed off into another dimension, appearing in Drakengard 3, and kicking off magic in the Drakengard world

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
April 22nd. There's a White Snow edition which has cool stuff

Noir still looks kinda racist

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nina posted:

New Ending E where nothing else changes but the city teleports into Drakengard to finally close that loop

That happened in the timespan between the opening and Nier proper though

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Beefstew posted:

Kaine's face obviously looks different. It's less angular and definitely made to look more like A2. But something is still off.
Where's the flower? Seriously, it's not in her hair. It's in the cover art for the remaster, so it's not like they're removing it entirely.

In Drakengard 3

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lt. Lizard posted:

As someone who never played (or read Let's play) of the original Nier, but heard a lot of good things about the story and horrible things about the gameplay, do we have any idea if the Remake does something to address the gameplay side of things? I purposely kept myself in blackout about the whole thing, but that is something I am interested in, to know how to manage my expectations.

Original Nier’s gameplay wasn’t horrible as much as it was just really bland at most.

Except if you wanted to engage with weapon upgrade mechanics & the word system

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wow! This loving sucks.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Tell him that where the fishing spot is or he'll hate the game and become a moderately popular fast food podcaster

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
oh esus christ we're gonna have to do life in the sands AND the perfect flower in real time now

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Walrus posted:

I'm putting a lot of dummy text/periods in the following spoiler to make it unclear if there is added stuff or not, as many might want to be surprised one way or the other I assume.

jk no periods just crazy poo poo, "After Ending D deletes your save file, start a new game with a different name. You’ll play normally until the fight against the huge shade in The Aerie where you recruit Kaine. The remainder of the Nier Replicant remake will play out differently with a new story and cutscenes." I haven't played the original game but that sounds like a pretty significant chunk of new content, definitely more than ending D/E in nier A at least? cool stuff.

Is it different from the novel ending E, which is already the canon one?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BisbyWorl posted:

You only need all weapons for endings. Actual 100% gets you nothing and should only be done if you think slamming your head against a brick wall until you bleed constitutes a fun Saturday night.

Um it gives me a platinum

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1385641802955378689

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

How safely can I completely skip all the fishing stuff in Replicant? I know you need all the weapons for all the endings, are any of them tied to side quests that involve fishing or require you to have fish? They don’t in the first half at least thank god

Like I can handle the fetch quest stuff and wandering all over the map a billion times but this is a bit too much for me especially when my most epic tangle yet was actually against a bucket

Catch the fish

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished act 1! The entire climax was fuckin sick, and doing from Forest of Myth to here without any side stuff to distract me really helped me get into the story more

The voice actor for Grimoire Noir is really bad lmao

Grimoire Noir wears blackface so take no pity

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve done it twice now and both times the moment in the final section where Emil actually says your name out loud made me do a double-take and go “wait WHAT did I just imagine that”

I named my character Dongs and Emil did NOT say that

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I missed Weiss so much. I’m doing all the terrible first half quests so I can get the most banter

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BisbyWorl posted:

To give an idea about how bad it is, the protagonist is an 18 year old anime prettyboy.

Dreadful. Awful. Anyway back to Nier: Replicant v1.22694201337...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Beefstew posted:

I've been trying to garden on the PS4, and I'm aware that adjusting the system clock as normal doesn't work for some godforsaken reason. So I've been trying adjusting the timezone from -11:00 to +13:00, like everyone said, and that makes the flowers bloom, but not die. Can I not go any further than this without just waiting irl? I've followed every guide I can find and tried manipulating both the clock and timezone, and I can't get past the flowering phase no matter what.

Also no, you can’t, the timezone skips 24 hours at most and the flowers die after 48

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
How does Kaine jump like a hundred feet in the air anyway

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up doing it by keeping a perpetual darkwall bubble and bunny hopping across the map lol

You might be the first person to use Dark Wall

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
This combat system really isn’t good enough to justify shades with a sword blocking every single attack from a spear combo

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to getting new words? It just seems to happen randomly while fighting shades

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/960449-nier/faqs/61831

There's actually a whole rear end thought over distribution of words across the shades of the game.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I keep thinking about this guy who needs 10 titanium alloys to repair his kitchen

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Rhonne posted:

New ending question: Why does Emil have four arms now?

to hold Nier’s, Kaine’s, and Yonah’s hands, and Weiss close to his chest

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Terrible news

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Having the DLC only give you static xp is a real weird move

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Okay, so this might be a really stupid question considering what this game is about, but what is the best place to fight shades? All the farming places are robot-related and the third DLC door gives you like... rusted clumps and pyrite, which I already have a lot of

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Despite all the rules the people of Facade are somehow the chillest of all

They're extremely aware of their freedoms

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ytlaya posted:

This post confuses me because that's pretty obviously an actual graphical glitch. I don't recall any "screen goes glitchy when moving the camera" part of the first play-through in the City Ruins.

Maybe you didn't notice he posted a video instead of an image? At first glance (before noticing it was a video) I thought it was was maybe some sort of joke about having the drone be Weiss or something.

That was a different guy. Doctor Nutt is the guy that is legitimately bamboozled by letterboxing in cutscenes lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah but you were talking from the perspective of recommending it to people, and none of my friends are anime perverts so it’s a tougher sell than you’d think.

Find better friends

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Meiteron posted:

I can't remember if this was outlined in some of the external supplements for Nier Automata; I just looked around for a bit and I couldn't find the explicit text but I feel like I remember reading it, maybe I just made a logical leap in my brain or something. Anyway, heavy spoilers for both Niers:

One thing that is explicitly stated is that the Machine army was at one point non-sentient and then later very much became so. What I remember reading somewhere is that in their conquest of Earth they gained access to a vast amount of human records and incorporated it into their own network, and this was the point where they started to develop sentience. You may recall in Automata once you're going through the tower you find a perfect recreation of the Nier Replicant library, and they had to get that somewhere.

What Replicant E implies, at least to me, is that the memory tree thing you run through is what the Machines got access to; it recorded data from all over the world for thousands of years, the Machines took that in the war, and incorporating that information turned them human enough to start thinking for themselves. 2B and 9S look like the sys admins because all YorHa come from Machine Cores, as is revealed near the end of Automata; it's not a big leap to imply that Machines-that-look-like-Androids (and Androids look like Humans to begin with) would draw from templates in the Machine network; this also explains a little why A2 is so similar to Kaine.

But the Memory Tree admits to having its databanks corrupted, right? With only a few memories left.
...that part has always felt v confusing. Is the tree a shade...?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Large Gear aren’t real

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
but the miniboss is the last enemy that spawns, how do I let the enemies kill me?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Emil you rear end in a top hat stop trying to save me from dying

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cool av posted:

just starting out in replicant and this talk about purposely dying in an efficient way to farm a random drop sounds absolutely horrible.

are you guys just nuts or is the grind going to be necessary?

There is no reason to upgrade even a single weapon in the game, we’re just all loving stupid.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i never got a single large gear so i ended up doing the black pearl grind and lucked out with a single metal piercing.

after i got the weapon upgrade trophy, i triumphantly sold all my materials. then i went on to do the route c/d.

during the mandatory junk heap memory alloy hunt i had three large gears drop

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Mostly

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Last Celebration posted:

Do the time attack trophies only consider the fight finished when the cutscenes after are done? I just figured the game checked the time taken and gave you the trophy if you met it after you did all the cutscenes since, you know, that would actually make sense, but I’m pretty sure I beat (Route C/D spoilers)final Popula/Devola in well under the needed time of three and a half but only skipped through some of the post-dialogue (I already got Ending C and I’m just gunning for D now).

That umm, really really loving sucks that they take the post-cutscene dialogue into account, but I guess it explains how I don’t have all the trophies post-timeskip after turbokilling most of the bosses.

You’re gonna be v mad because the timer for that particular fight starts the moment you enter the room, so the subtitled dialogue counts. Also, it ends only when you get control of Nier back so after the cutscenes AND the new Emil textplay

e: with what I’d humbly describe as optimal play, I got 3:40 between the two. Load times don’t count though. Start mashing!

goblin week fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also the LP looks like poo poo in the year of our lord 2021 and the game’s nice and crisp