Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Replicant question: I fell down the hole like a moron and missed Beastcurse, so is there an easy way to get back there, or am I better off waiting until my B run to get it?

E: Nevermind, just stopped being lazy and retraced my steps.

E2: lmao, I'm going to have to go back there later anyway? god dammit

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wait till you find out how to get the iron pipe lmao

I thought I just had to beat the side quest to get it, so I actually missed it. I guess you get it automatically after Ending B though, so I'll just wait. Kind of annoying that I did all that backtracking for nothing, but for now I guess it'll just be a weird easter egg.

Finished the first run, game's good. Really enjoying the soundtrack.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 24, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Okay I played way too much over the last couple days and now I'm done with the whole thing. Great game, shouldn't have rushed it so much, can't wait to play Automata.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I did, yeah. Playing as Kainé was a fun twist, and as a fan of weird poo poo I liked the rest of it too, though I think I spoiled something from Automata reading about a character on the wiki after I finished. Oh well, hopefully it's not a big deal, but I guess finding out if something is a big deal or not might be an even bigger spoiler, so I'll just leave it alone until I play and find out.

B route was a bit melodramatic with the shades suddenly having tearjerker stories bluntly hitting a 'maybe we're the baddies' button when it was already hinted at pretty strongly in part 2 of A, especially at Aerie, so it didn't come as a huge shock when that was foregrounded more. That said, the little shade with the robot ended up hitting me almost as hard as Fyra. C/D route was definitely more tedious without adding much beyond the actual endings, but at least it was super fast. The scenes of the Twins conspiring didn't feel like they really added a tremendous amount/felt like a missed opportunity for more exposition since what exactly they were doing still doesn't seem all that clear to me, but more Emil stuff toward the end was good at least. I hosed up killing the sea monster, so I didn't get the new content there, but oh well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I started Automata, and unfortunately it makes me motion sick, while Replicant didn't. The in-game setting option might be helping a bit, but I think I'm going to have to pace myself with this one so I don't wind up feeling like poo poo all the time. I'm not going to quit playing, but it's a pretty big bummer after how much I enjoyed Replicant and was excited for this one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think adjusting the setting for motion sickness in Automata actually ended up working out really well once I wasn't already motion sick from playing without it earlier that day, so I ended up playing a ton and finished it. I liked it a lot, and obviously think it's mostly better/more fun to actually play than Replicant particularly in route structure, where C was loving awesome in Automata while it was a total waste of time except for a couple cutscenes in Replicant, but the soundtrack didn't really stand out as much to me. Tbf it's kind of a blunt instrument in Replicant, with a lot of repetition, but the first time you go to the Lost Shrine or the Aerie, getting hit in the face with the music to set a mood was something I really enjoyed, and Automata rarely gave me that feeling. I kind of wonder how I'd feel about Automata if I hadn't played Replicant, since I think it would have been a lot more confusing/surprising, maybe in a good way, though the payoff of the fakeout with Devola and Popola at the Towerplayed really well with expectations from the original.

I probably felt more emotional attachment to Replicant, both because of the music and because it's just a more grounded and relatable story. That said, while I expected Pascal's Village to be wiped out, the way it was done with a fake sense of relief that the children survived before finding out they committed suicide was loving brutal. Also I selected touch Devola's cheek in the novel section with them, but I looked up what it says if you choose to support her body, and drat what a callback:

As long as we have bodies to support one another…
As long as I have someone with whom to share my fate…
Then I will press on, no matter what happens to me.

Because I won’t ever stop protecting her.

I won’t stop.

No one stops.

Anyway, tl;dr it was a great game, but I think I maybe should have waited a little longer after playing Replicant to play it so I could have experienced it a bit more as its own thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm both really looking forward to this and also really worried that it's going to be disappointing. Seeing Devola and Popolain the trailer made me particularly hyped.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

Was anything posted about the anime being a new take on the game? I thought one of the market blurbs was about a new ending or something.

They've kind of talked out of both sides of their mouth on this, saying that just doing everything the same would be boring but also saying that people worried it won't be a faithful adaptation have nothing to worry about, so it's hard to tell what to read into that or if it's just marketing talk or what.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, considering this appears to be an adaption of the game I’m worried it might be super abridged like the TWEWY anime was (the odds of getting the English cast back for a potential dub might not be guaranteed either). It looks nice at least

I forget, were some of the more human like characters like the blue haired girl in the game?

There were some non-YoRHa androids at the camp but I don't really remember what they looked like except for the twins. I don't think they've released an episode count, but so far the rumor seems to be 12, which feels a bit low to me unless there's a second cour later. The twins being in the trailer suggests it's going to at least try to cover most of what's there though, since there's no reason to put them in for an abbreviated version.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 29, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think this is pretty unlikely but if the anime ends with something that teases a new Nier game that would own.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IMO it definitely could have been made more accessible. Like remaking the entirety of B probably wasn't realistic, but I don't think the Devola and Popola talking scenes and small difference in the mermaid fight made the replay up to C/D all that worthwhile, and even having to fight through the palace again for D is just busy work. It doesn't feel like it would have been hard to put you outside the shadow lord's room for D at least. Also they could have straight up eliminated the weapon requirement instead of just reducing it. I still liked the game a lot, better than Automata in some ways, but there are aspects that felt needlessly tedious for sure.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Episodes two and three really were a lot better than the first one. Too bad about the delays now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I kind of miss the shame that used to be associated with selling out, but at least he's funny about admitting it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If it weren't for E I'd say just watching the endings for C and D would be more or less fine, but E's pretty great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I did everything and sacrificed my save data. Fun game, I loved the way it used the interface for storytelling. I wasn’t really expecting All To Be Revealed but while the ending was tremendously cathartic and full of vibes, I don’t think it made any sense. Which is fine but just to be sure I’m not missing something there was no grand plan behind YorHa, right? The goal was just to forever war against the machines, then get all the androids killed, then delete the data, then ??? Both androids and machines are trapped in an endless cycle without meaning, and the machines want to escape it by going to space in their big cannon

Again this isn’t really important to my enjoyment of the game, I’m just curious.

IIRC the androids really wanted to win the war (even if the ones who made YorHa knew they weren't really fighting it for humanity), and saw YorHa as a breakthrough that could turn it around, but they had no idea how hopeless that was because they didn't realize the war had lasted as long as it had by the machines' choice. The machines were basically just keeping them around to fulfill their purpose of fighting the enemy that the aliens left them, and then to farm exp for evolution once they found a way to escape those orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Dragengard -> Nier part is definitely true, it's the Nier -> Drakengard part that people aren't sure about.