Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

owls or something posted:

All whiskey tastes the same to me. I remember a guy I know passing around some super expensive bottle of Jonnie Walker and I tried it. I was like "yeah this is really great mam, wow". But really it just tasted the same as everything else I've ever tried.

I like Yukon Jack. That's whiskey I think?

That's sorta reasonable. Unless you drink the stuff regularly and make an effort to notice the different flavors, whiskey will just taste like burning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm making some BBQ sauce and poured some Makers Mark in there because it's cheap and not that good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Honestly I don't tend to cook them myself, or even necessarily use sugar, I just slice/pierce the cherries. You can crack a few pits for that "almond" (cyanide) taste; IANAD but unless you go whole-hog on dozens of pits you should be fine per google. Me personally I take pliers and crunch a couple pits, but it's optional.

do you know that they sell almond extract in stores, and those little bottles are alcohol based so would have zero problem mixing the flavor in? maybe use a drop of that instead if you'd like some non-lethal almond flavor.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Authenticity. :colbert:

Plus a bottle of extract costs a couple bucks, but I already own pliers.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Old crow is 51% bourbon and 49‰ grain neutral spirits. That's why you go for Kentucky gentleman, benchmark or my old trusty, Jim Beam.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

All whiskey tastes the same to me. I remember a guy I know passing around some super expensive bottle of Jonnie Walker and I tried it. I was like "yeah this is really great mam, wow". But really it just tasted the same as everything else I've ever tried.

Yukon Jack is horrible.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Where are people where Maker's Mark is cheap? Around CA that crap thinks its top shelf, even sells for full Jim Beam prices in half-sized (350ml) bottles. A couple bucks more gets you 1.75 liters of Evan.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ever since i quit smoking and moved to colorado most whiskey tastes like literal flat soda sugar water to me. probably more the effect of the former than the latter, but both at the same time gave me a taste for the dry poo poo.

crown and beam are like jolly ranchers in a bottle. ugh

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Where are people where Maker's Mark is cheap? Around CA that crap thinks its top shelf, even sells for full Jim Beam prices in half-sized (350ml) bottles. A couple bucks more gets you 1.75 liters of Evan.

It's a price point up from Jim most places, but not nearly as good as something like Basil Hayden or Eagle Rare. Cheap probably has to do with locale costs. I'm sure I could get a liter of makes for 30 around here (down south (land of bourbon and domestic abuse)).

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
old crow and jack daniels are loving puke even for mixing

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bruce Kison posted:

Yukon Jack is horrible.

Unless it is mixed into a snake bite, :agreed:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I'm in Orange loving County where even gasoline is $0.20 a gallon more than LA, but Makers Mark is $19 a bottle.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Bruce Kison posted:

Yukon Jack is horrible.

I just like the way the bottle looks. That is how I always decide what liquor to buy.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

shoutout to the ancient age posters

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

And why don't we have random military endorsing cheap whiskeys these days?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

And why don't we have random military endorsing cheap whiskeys these days?

I suggest more heroin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=letMVlVvp14

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Drank some woodford reserve, not bad.

Dewars is loving gasoline though, gently caress that. Have a bottle of Ten High im aftaid to drink though. Should i be worried? Is it bottom shelf or is it sit on the floor tier?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The best whiskey is the one that's in front of you.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If I ever pay for top shelf stop me. I don't want to get into logistics. Wait. Is this a ditch?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Got some Wild Turkey 101 for today's festivities.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm rather fond of infusing Seagram's gin with cherry and no sweetener, as well. Makes great tonics and yummy with the old fashioned treatment.

I'm deeply disappointed that you don't flavor gin by putting on waders and slogging through swamps to find slow berries and prick them individually with a vintage silver pin.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
American Pride brand Canadian whiskey

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Finally tried Evan Williams. It's less harsh taken neat than Old Grand-Dad but not as peppy and interesting in flavor. Going to have to play with it more to see if I like it enough to make a regular. Rebel Yell may give it a run for its money in the boring but decent enough neat spot on the shelf.

Also completely ran out of Old Overholt but have a batch of cherry bounce infusing in the cupboard to show for it. :f5:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Thank god Old Overholt is good because there are basically no other cheap and readily available rye options out there.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Christian Brothers

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Evan Williams is growing on me. Makes a respectable sour. Not gonna replace Old Crow as my go-to sour whiskey, though. Increasingly passable neat to tie with Rebel Yell. Probably over-all better since Rebel Yell makes a substandard sour.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
How'd you do your bounce recipe? How long fixing to leave it?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

We should just change this into a general booze thread, I think we have moved past its original theme.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

WT 101 is the best obviously. It's not bottom shelf, but it's also like >$30 a bottle which qualifies it as cheap, ish.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For when you want to make your fridge classy.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

For when you want to make your fridge classy.

One day Buffalo Trace will pay for their crimes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The French Army! posted:

Thank god Old Overholt is good because there are basically no other cheap and readily available rye options out there.

Rebel Yell now does a rye that, at least around me, costs around the same as Overholt.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Has anyone tried "Armaans Black Booster"?

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Clitch posted:

One day Buffalo Trace will pay for their crimes.

Fireball is clearly gross poison, but as a bartender it ruled. The markup is good and no group of excited to get drunk dopes ever stops at just one round of Fireball shots.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Enjoy" Fireball.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

How'd you do your bounce recipe? How long fixing to leave it?

http://imbibemagazine.com/Cherry-Bounce-Recipe/

With the lemon juice and reduced sugar for sweet cherries.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Fireball is the only thing that's almost landed me in jail and it can gently caress off.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

ever since i quit smoking and moved to colorado most whiskey tastes like literal flat soda sugar water to me.
hrrrmmmm

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Reminder that Canadian whisky is garbage. Fireball is a cordial and is gross. And remember that old crow is only considered whisky over grain neutral spirits by a 2% margin.

Old overholt is legit though. Jim Beam makes a decent rye as well, but it can be tricky to find.

• Locked thread