Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

this is a pretty funny video, i hope this thread can reach such heights lets do our best guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761455

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is not you're mothers bed! :smugbert:

(Because she's fat and it would break under the weight of her ham hocks lol)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

This does not look sturdy enough to support a goons weight.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Greatest Living Man posted:

L brackets? Never heard of them.

Every tall piece of Ikea furniture I've ever bought comes with brackets to secure it to the wall. Maybe that's a legal requirement here and not elsewhere.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

My Q-Face posted:

Making a piece of furniture with a heavier bottom and low center of gravity is a tall order, you can't expect cheap furniture companies to pay somebody to actually think about the design process!

That's not how a cabinet maker would do it. How many triangular chests of drawers do you own?

Brackets and other fixing mechanisms are available from ikea and third parties for that subset of people with young children for whom this would actually be a problem, which is actually a much more sensible solution than designing every piece of furniture you sell around the precise requirements of an unsupervised 3 year old.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

They all come with wall mounts, people are just stupid and lazy.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

if you roll into this it will splinter into a hundred pieces

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Anything IKEA makes that can tip over on your dumb kid has an anti-tipping device included anyway. Its usually a piece of webbing or a metal bracket you screw into the top of the unit and into a joist in your wall. IKEA didn't kill that kids, his lazy parents who didn't follow the instructions did.

See, perfectly clear and understandable.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 22, 2016

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Aah, natural selection at work

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

its actually a fun date to take a girl who's down for droll poo poo to IKEA to just walk around and snack on meatballs and look at furniture and stuff.
the best part is you don't ever buy any of it and don't kill the kid you may or may not have. (if you're at a point where this ikea date thing is viable yr probably pretty steady)

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
IKEA website:

quote:

WARNING - Serious or fatal crashing injuries can occur from furniture tip-over. To prevent this furniture must be permanently fixed to the wall. Secure it! Learn how to prevent furniture tip-over accidents.

quote:

Every two weeks a child dies in the U.S. from furniture, appliances or TVs tipping over, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. By working together, we can help prevent these tragedies and make the home a safer place.

quote:

IKEA offers free wall-anchoring kit for chests and dressers

Kid death sucks but it's 99% their parents fault and 1% lovely swedish balsa wood furniture.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I prefer my version of Ikea, finding old disassembled furniture on the side of the road and piecing it together at home without a guide or tools

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

ded posted:

This does not look sturdy enough to support any human's weight.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crabcakes66 posted:

IKEA website:

Kid death sucks but it's 99% their parents fault and 1% lovely swedish balsa wood furniture.

kids are assholes anyway let god sort them out

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
How are you supposed to anchor it to a wall with base boards?

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

OlmanRiver posted:

i reckon if you think you're gonna get a fancy place with bourgeoisie poo poo like base boards you gotta budget non ikea furniture in as well

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

into

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
man as the original poster in this here thread I really expected more contributions. its really hard making a thread in this here forums and it would be really nice if you guys encouraged me a little bit more by making a funny photoshop with the rules/info i provided in theoriginal post

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jellidelic posted:

its actually a fun date to take a girl who's down for droll poo poo to IKEA to just walk around and snack on meatballs and look at furniture and stuff.
the best part is you don't ever buy any of it and don't kill the kid you may or may not have. (if you're at a point where this ikea date thing is viable yr probably pretty steady)

i too, get my date ideas from 500 days of summer :twisted:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

notZaar posted:

Use a bracket or something to secure it to the wall. Even the cheapo compressed particle board furniture I got from Walmart came with a strap to screw to the wall.

or, or, dont transform into a baby and tip it onto yourself

there's nothing inherently dangerous about these dressers lol, its a retangle with a retangle shaped base. there's no design flaw in stability here other than the fact its a dresser so its tall and you can tip tall things onto yourself especially if you fill it up with heavy poo poo on top. this could literally happen with any similar sized dresser from any manufacturer anywhere

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
*in black and white like one of those infomercials for products only a clumsy boob would need*

ah now to open the top drawer of my IKEA drawermusten to check on my collection of old alternators WHOOOAAAAAA

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

OlmanRiver posted:

IDK about IKEA, but bookshelves and such from other manufacturers often come with short straps instead of brackets for just this reason. (and also because nylon straps are probably cheaper than metal brackets)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i dont know if you guys know this but as the OP i thought I should point it out that alot of these furnitures have brackets that allow you to attach it to a wall or something just a protip for you guys

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Breivik

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

OlmanRiver posted:

Oh great.., I own this exact model. Wish they were doing a true recall, its such a piece of crap I would have loved to get my 150 dollars back.

TRUE RECALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Indy posted:

Only americans will start a lawsuit over something easily prevented by not ignoring the instructions and the included safety features.

There was a guy who reloaded ammunition for a gun that said, in the instruction manual, not to fire reloaded cartridges out of it, because the factory cartridges are already under high pressure and reloading them will likely result in an overload that will blow up the gun.

Predictably, the gun blew off most of his hand and he sued the manufacturer of the gun. He won the lawsuit and they gave him a replacement from their new batch that now has "DO NOT FIRE RELOADED AMMO" on the side.

• Locked thread