Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lizard Wizard posted:

Can I just say gently caress you personally?

:thejoke:

-------------------

Your Head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You missed. Aim the katana lower.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Exactly one in P4: Lucifer. He's level 93 and gets the skill at level 99. You can only fuse him on the true ending path because he requires Judgement rank 10, which happens only after clearing the 7th dungeon, and because the normal ending, well, ends before you can even get to the velvet room to fuse him.

3/20 does not have fusion EXP up as a forecast condition, so Lucifer will get to 98 and you have to grind the last level yourself.

Kaiwan, to contrast, is available halfway through the second dungeon.

To add on to that: If you didn't have Victory Cry, you could get into an unwinnable situation, since the only other full SP heals are items, tarot cards, and waiting a day. Tarot cards are entirely random, and the last dungeon must be finished in one day or not at all, in which case the villain escapes. You do get unlimited access to the store, which is normally only available before you start a dungeon.

SP in Persona is, in practice, the counter that says how long you can be in the dungeon before you need a break. Refilling it means you can marathon the dungeon in one day, whereas a typical dungeon takes 3-5 days normally. This lets you do other things on those days that raise your and your Personas' stats instead, or lets you redo dungeons for the optional bosses.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

To add on to that: If you didn't have Victory Cry, you could get into an unwinnable situation, since the only other full SP heals are items, tarot cards, and waiting a day. Tarot cards are entirely random, and the last dungeon must be finished in one day or not at all, in which case the villain escapes. You do get unlimited access to the store, which is normally only available before you start a dungeon.

SP in Persona is, in practice, the counter that says how long you can be in the dungeon before you need a break. Refilling it means you can marathon the dungeon in one day, whereas a typical dungeon takes 3-5 days normally. This lets you do other things on those days that raise your and your Personas' stats instead, or lets you redo dungeons for the optional bosses.

Huh? I'm pretty sure the fox can fully restore your SP for a price. For this to happen you'd have to use up all your SP recovery items AND enough money that you can't afford an SP restore from the fox.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout: New Vegas was generally more lenient with the weapon/armor degradation mechanic than Fallout 3 - damage only starts going down at 75% condition or less, weapon repair kits are fairly abundant, and there's a bunch of merchants who can repair your stuff to 100%. Then you take the Jury Rigging perk. Now you can, as the perk description states, "repair any item with a vaguely similar item." You can repair some of the rarest and most expensive guns in the game with things you can find on trash enemies outside the first town. Light Armor characters can repair their armor with almost anything. High-end guns like the Marksman Carbine and Light Machine Gun can be fixed with the humble Service Rifle carried by 75% of the NCR troopers in the game. Now by the time you qualify for this perk, you probably have plenty of ways to make tons of money, but Jury Rigging adds another - take, for example, an anti-material rifle. It's worth 6,000 caps fully repaired, but you can repair it to 100% condition with varmint rifles, which are like 75 caps tops (if you even need to buy them.) It's hands down the most useful perk in the entire game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Jury Rigging works in "sets". The Anti-Materiel Rifle and the Varmit Rifle are both bolt-action rifles. The Light Machine Gun and the Service Rifle are both automatic rifles. Melee weapons are divided into one-handed and two-handed by Jury Rigging, so baseball bats and sledgehammers can repair Super Sledges. Armor is by its weight class, so the NCR's 300-cap infantry armor repairs 8000-cap combat armor. Metal armor is 1/5 the value of t51-b power armor.

Funnily enough, every piece of headgear in the base game is classified as light armor. So baseball caps can repair power armor helmets. And all unarmed weapons (punching enhancers, that is) are one group so boxing tape can repair an electrical discharge glove.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In fact, you can actually repair the Anti-Material Rifle with a loving BB gun, but BB guns are actually pretty rare in New Vegas (though not expensive to buy.)

I think the only "heavy" headgear in the game is the Riot Gear helmets from the Lonesome Road DLC, but that may actually be a developer oversight/mistake, IIRC the jsawyer plugin changes it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I was talking with someone about King's Bounty: The Dark Side and it reminded me of a couple utterly broken things in the game.

The King's Bounty games draw from the same roots as the Heroes of Might and Magic games, except you only have the one hero and your army is constrained by your hero's Leadership score rather than over time. There were also limited and random stocks of most troops, so minimizing casualties was one of the most important things.

Enter two broken-rear end spells: Call of Nature and Chaos Breath.

Call of Nature was a fairly basic summon spell, which would conjure a stack of a random low-level animal creature for you for one battle. The thing was that it scaled super hard, not only off your magic power, but also off your hero's Leadership, so you could summon gigantic stacks of animals with insanely buffed stats that could clear most battles on their own while your actual army sat back and watched.

Chaos Breath was a spell that would alter a target's stats. Higher magic had two effects: it would increase the magnitude of the changes, and it would also make it more likely to roll positive changes on allies and negative changes on enemies. Late game, a cast of Chaos Breath could drop enemies with a couple hundred health into single digits, while also crippling their attack and defenses, and could prop some of your guys into four-digit territory, making your army freakishly overpowered.

There were a whole bunch of other fun things, but those were some of the most fun.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Slime posted:

Huh? I'm pretty sure the fox can fully restore your SP for a price. For this to happen you'd have to use up all your SP recovery items AND enough money that you can't afford an SP restore from the fox.

Yeah, the fox can restore your SP, but there's a pretty substancial limitation on the fox: Yen. The fox wants money, and aside from some rare occasions, enemies don't drop money, they drop loot that you can sell for money outside of the dungeon. And since SP-restoring items tend to be some combination of rare, weak, expensive, or on a per-day purchase limit, there's a soft cap to how much SP you can regen. Unless you have Cool Breeze (restore 8% HP/SP at end of battle) or Victory Cry, in which case you break the SP economy right over your goddamn knee.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Fate of the World is a game where you save humanity from a great evil: Global Warming. You do this using cards that represent policies that your global organisation can enforce upon the people.

The game starts in 2020 and is played in 36 turns that each take 5 years. The world is divided into 12 regions (North and South America/Africa, Europe, Australia, Middle East, Russia, China, India, Japan and SE Adia). The regions are pretty much,the same as they are nowadays, with poor countries poor and unstable while China emits about a such CO2 as he entire world or something. Africa and India are shitholes of poverty, war and disease.

Japan has a technology advantage, so it makes sense to focus all tech research there. You can easily spread techs to other regions by planning your cards right, so China and India can have access to thorium nuclear power in 2040, letting them stop using all the coal.

If everything goes according to plan, in 2085 you'll have enough technology to launch a global solar satellite. This thing will come online 5 years later and will supply every region in the world with enough free solar power that they don't need anything else.

So the year is 2095 and the energy crisis is solved. What so you do now? Well, the same tech that lets you launch the satellite also enables artificial trees that will vacuum up CO2. You are now slowly undoing the damage mankind has been,doing to the atmosphere since the 19th century! But there's still half a game left to play.

As living conditions improve, people will get healthier. In most of the world, this shows in a life expectancy of 90-95 years average. In the shitholes that are Africa and India, people will start to live to 120 on average. I'm guessing they needed to fudge the formulas so they start the way they do, but when "fixed" they become a sort of Ubermensch.

There is a card in the game that tells regions to start making love and have a baby boom. With the world fixed and you just pressing "end turn" to get to the finish, play this card everywhere. India and both African regions will fill up with nearly 6 billion people each, near the end about 500 million or more will be born each 5 years.

Congratulations, you saved the world from Global warming. Now please stop, 25 billion people is too much for this globe.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Wow, I can still name almost all of the attacks, even the advanced/obscure ones I can't always spark

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The simple act of jumping in SUPERHOT. It gives you even slower bullet time in a game which is almost entirely about bullet time, as well as completely ruining the enemies' aim.

E: It also makes the replays look silly. :haw:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
In Fable, the main way you leveled up was by stacking your combat multiplier. The more consecutive hits you could land without getting hit back, the larger the bonus grew, which multiplied all exp you received.

There were two things about this. The first was the spell Physical Shield, which made you take damage from mana instead of life while active (and you didn't regenerate mana). One important thing that the game did not tell you about it was the fact that while active, getting hit did not decrease your combat multiplier, nor would you get stunned or knocked back.

The second was that the game had a few rare potions that just gave you a large chunk of exp of one of the three types (str/dex/magic basically). However, the combat multiplier, while active, multiplied all exp received. You could go beat up a bunch of enemies (there's an arena a ways into the game that is perfect for getting huge chains) and then pop these potions and be able to cap out nearly everything super early. :black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

theshim posted:

In Fable, the main way you leveled up was by stacking your combat multiplier. The more consecutive hits you could land without getting hit back, the larger the bonus grew, which multiplied all exp you received.

There were two things about this. The first was the spell Physical Shield, which made you take damage from mana instead of life while active (and you didn't regenerate mana). One important thing that the game did not tell you about it was the fact that while active, getting hit did not decrease your combat multiplier, nor would you get stunned or knocked back.

The second was that the game had a few rare potions that just gave you a large chunk of exp of one of the three types (str/dex/magic basically). However, the combat multiplier, while active, multiplied all exp received. You could go beat up a bunch of enemies (there's an arena a ways into the game that is perfect for getting huge chains) and then pop these potions and be able to cap out nearly everything super early. :black101:

You could also slow time down until it nearly stopped and never get touched that way too, while firing arrows like you had a machine gun.

Your character ages as you level up. You're probably an old man with white hair by the time you meet your older sister, who's like 20. :v:

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Roro posted:

What? When you save and quit you're sent back to the dungeon entrance.

There's a permanently unwinnable condition possible if you use the boot-feather jump over the water then use a key there. They might be talking about that?

e: Also from personal experience, don't use the screen warp glitch in the bird temple. The wrecking ball may become unrecoverable and also force a complete restart. (The screen warp can break the game hilariously in both good and bad ways)

CrimsonAuthor has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Jun 24, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THeresa in general was broken as gently caress in the Fable universe - she's kidnapped by bandits and blinded while her mother is tortured to death, then falls in with different bandits led by Twinblade, becoming their blind seeress. Then in Fable 2 and 3 she shows up absurdly powerful controlling everything that happens in fable 2 and advising you in 3, all while being voices quite well by Zoe Wanamaker. Overall I loved her, her arc was hilarious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

theshim posted:

That shield, the silver unique axe and the graveyard with the never ending (and weak to silver) zombies maxed me out right there.

CrimsonAuthor posted:

What? When you save and quit you're sent back to the dungeon entrance.

There's a permanently unwinnable condition possible if you use the boot-feather jump over the water then use a key there. They might be talking about that?

e: Also from personal experience, don't use the screen warp glitch in the bird temple. The wrecking ball may become unrecoverable and also force a complete restart. (The screen warp can break the game hilariously in both good and bad ways)
[/quote]

Yep, that's what I was referring to. Someone linked a wiki on it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

You could also slow time down until it nearly stopped and never get touched that way too, while firing arrows like you had a machine gun.

Your character ages as you level up. You're probably an old man with white hair by the time you meet your older sister, who's like 20. :v:

The slow time spell also worked outside of combat, it was a lot of fun busting out a fully-leveled one and then breaking every record for the matching/hidden object pub game.

Also the Lost Chapters added some area effect spells that were utterly broken because the game hadn't been designed around them, knocking out wave after wave of enemies in the arena without even moving was so funny after slogging through it legitimately in the original release.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Also you could make infinite money by:

1. Buy a house
2. Hang trophies in house
3. Break door
4. Sell house (For more money because of trophies.)
5. Go back into house and retrieve trophies
6. Repeat

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I seem to recall breaking the game over my knee by rushing to some haunted temple and donating money or something after midnight to get some unique bow. I forget the name of it and the game wasnt too hard to begin with but that bow wasnt designed for noob characters and was pretty powerful for what it cost, which iirc was next to nothing.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

theshim posted:

You could also store energy via drawing your bow for a decently long time and one shot large enemies for a massive bonus and then use the potions/eat the effect food for massive skill increases. I think they nerfed it in the lost chapters but it's been a while since I've played.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

im pooping! posted:

I seem to recall breaking the game over my knee by rushing to some haunted temple and donating money or something after midnight to get some unique bow. I forget the name of it and the game wasnt too hard to begin with but that bow wasnt designed for noob characters and was pretty powerful for what it cost, which iirc was next to nothing.

You got the bow by earning a certain amount of evil points at a shrine by sacrificing NPCs. The trick was that the amount of evil points you earned were inversely proportional to how evil you were, so a good character could earn the bow with one well-timed sacrifice while evil characters would have to sacrifice an army of people to earn the same amount.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I remember a way to get around this. There was a quest where you had to rescue a child who had wandered into a nest of goblins. If you were inthe middle of a quest you could do a "hero save" instead of a "quest save" that would let you level up without getting old. That particular goblin quest also had a silver key hidden in it, so you could find the key, do a Hero Save, quit, and repeat in order to get unlimited silver keys and unlock high end gear.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

In Fable 2 whether you start as a man or a woman you turn into The Blob if you level up strength.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Fable 2 has a pretty series of arena fights that you have to participate in to advance the story. Due all the food I ate to restore my health through it, my character coming out look like it ate my character coming in.

Probably the biggest moral choice is when you are tricked into delving into and ancient ruin only to have your youth sacrificed to malevolent shadow beings. However, an unfortunate young woman accidentally got teleported into the same place, and you can sacrifice her in your stead. There's one side quest that has you enter a dream world where you control a child version of yourself. If you go in aged, on waking up, you are restored to your normal self. That effect, as far as I know, was completely unintentional.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jun 25, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

awesomebrah posted:

1. Buy a house
3. Break door
6. Repeat

Merchant pricing in Fable is based on supply and demand. Find a merchant with a shitton of something and buy all of it for cheap (high supply lowers prices), then sell it right back to the same guy (high demand increases prices) and make a profit. Repeat until you are selling his whole inventory back and forth and making money every time.

E: Shop around for diamonds until you get about fifty, run this trick whenever you need money.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Jun 25, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

Merchant pricing in Fable is based on supply and demand. Find a merchant with a shitton of something and buy all of it for cheap (high supply lowers prices), then sell it right back to the same guy (high demand increases prices) and make a profit. Repeat until you are selling his whole inventory back and forth and making money every time.

E: Shop around for diamonds until you get about fifty, run this trick whenever you need money.

Or you could always do the old poo poo trick of buying a bunch of property then setting your clock a hundred years ahead and collecting billions of money in rent.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

awesomebrah posted:

1. Buy a house
3. Break door
6. Repeat

Why does this involve breaking your door?

EDIT: Oh, I get it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lizard Wizard posted:

Why does this involve breaking your door?

EDIT: Oh, I get it.

Why would you be in a rush to replace broken doors on a new house? They aren't even structural!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Somfin posted:

You didn't even need diamonds, you could do it with any item you could amass. Health potions were the most common one.

They fixed this in Anniversary though. Or the hard mode in Anniversary or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nuebot posted:

In Fable 2 whether you start as a man or a woman you turn into The Blob if you level up strength.

That's really more because strength is best increased by eating meat, which increases your fat stat. You can counteract it by eating vegetables.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
While we're on the subject of Molyneux games, Black and White 2 archers were loving ruinous if you had a well-placed wall to shoot from; it pretty quickly turned the game's military stages into a joke, especially if you let your creature serve as a front-line tank. Just douse the area in heal spells every now and again and within two waves the archers are level 10 and kill with a single shot and don't miss anymore.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
In Watch Dogs you have a Focus meter that serves to slow down time. There's a number of skills that increase the duration once activated. You can also visit a cafe or newsstand to double the size of your focus meter for some time. Focus restores slowly over time, or by using an item that you craft out of medicine. In focus mode time is slowed down but you can otherwise do anything as normal, including crafting more focus boost items. So doubled focus meter, all the duration skills, 5 focus boosts, and 5 medicines means you can do virtually anything, so long as you keep using/crafting focus boost before the meter runs out. You can have entire firefights in slow motion- as long as you don't get shot to death you can react much faster than anything else in the game, effectively making your way out of every single situation. You can also do entire car chases in slow motion- you'd be surprised just how easy it is to close distance or escape when you're in slow motion and can avoid every single obstacle and make perfect turns.

Motor boats are broken too, in that you can have 5 stars and police helicopters after you, but full speed on the open water means the cops just... give up. You move too fast for the helicopter to shoot you, and they eventually stop bothering. There's another boat, the water taxi, that has a completely closed interior. First of all, this means that even in motion and being shot at, you can't die (well technically your head is exposed while driving but at speed it's no issue). Second, police will only continue chasing you if they have line of sight. If you just crouch in the closed part of the boat, even with five stars, the police will eventually give up.

Now, the line of sight thing means there's one other flawless way to escape the police every single time- trains. Using the skill to start/stop trains, you can either sit still on an inaccessible bridge or just never stop at train stations, and again the police just give up after a while.

Finally, silenced weapons are incredibly overpowered. There's three (pistol, SMG and assault rifle) and they are perfect stealth weapons in that they don't draw any attention whatsoever. Yes, enemies are somewhat alerted when they see their buddies dropping dead, but simply don't bother with alarms or anything unless they see you or hear an actual gunshot. You can sit a half mile away, just firing until you actually hit something, and nobody seems to care that bullets keep flying around them

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Anyone who wants to see just how janky Watch_Dogs is without wasting money on such a terrible story needs to watch Chip Cheezum's LP of it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Anyone who wants to see just how janky Watch_Dogs is without wasting money on such a terrible story needs to watch Chip Cheezum's LP of it.

I don't want to play it and I don't want to see it being played simply because the player character's outfit is so loving tacky.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't want to play it and I don't want to see it being played simply because the player character's outfit is so loving tacky.

Not even his Vash the Stampde color variant? :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Regalingualius posted:

Not even his Vash the Stampde color variant? :v:

ugly couch coat for life

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'll give Aiden Pearce's outfit credit because it nails perfectly the "Loser-uncle-your-mother-warns-you-about" aesthetic.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Jun 25, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

They really needed to put out a demo for that if they didn't because not even a video can convey just how awful the driving is in that game. Your car is like a shoebox someone kicks down a hallway. I once hit a speedbump and ramped my way clear through a mall. The game is so uninteresting they had to advertise for games within the game that don't actually reward you or anything, they just don't want you to actually play Watch_Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was excited the first time I saw a clothing store in the game, so I could finally change out of that poo poo, and then every single outfit is just a palette swap.

• Locked thread