Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I kinda loved BS1 and even played the multiplayer battle game for a little bit. BS2's combat is more enjoyable and there's a bunch of new units w/ new abilities, some are even fun. I'm haven't finished yet but I like sneak guy and horse archer w/ poison a lot. I also really like the art design.

I generally buy as many supplies if I can and promote my dudes w/ the excess renown, or if I'm low I save enough for one or two promotions. And if it seems I have a lot of extra renown while camping on the road, I start promoting people and generally try and keep my whole 'A' team leveled up incrementally instead of jacking up just one or two people like a few others. If an item is really good, fits a character well, and is high level enough that I'll use it for a decent amount of time, I usually buy it. With the new training missions it's been a lot easier to stay well stocked and promote my team.

This game's combat is much more polished than the first's. Also they realized that the turn order thing is tedious and gave every protagonist an ability that breaks the paradigm, while you still can't blindly focus fire you do have incentives to actually kill enemies outright this time around. The caravan mechanics have also been rethought for the better, clansmen are actually something other than a drag on your resources and you can freely convert them into fighters if you want to.

Personally, I'm finding promotions way less critical this time around. Most units will be at or very near the caps on their primary stats at level 5, getting to 6-8 for the second ability and item access generally seems to be enough to set them up for the whole game. Some people want to get the level 10 items, and I think that some of them are worth buying; like the one that gives +3 to all talents, +1 break & armor+will/turn is pretty much great on anyone, especially Rook or Iver.

FairGame posted:

I can't decide if it's better with a knockback item or with a STR boost/Critical Hit item. Interrupting turns is cool, but so is bringing anything foolish enough to attack to critical HP or dying outright.

The real pity is that there are two characters on the other POV that would make Alette even more absurd. If it's anything like the first game, they'll reconnect toward the endgame.

I can't wait to have a 20 strength Alette killing or wounding anything dumb enough to come near me, and then having a unit just march around picking off the stragglers.

e: goddammit I just burned a TON of renown promoting a unit that literally hosed off forever like 2 minutes later.

If you don't go knockback you will have to go to much greater lengths to make it work. Though Alette herself would need less willpower and so could be lower level. Knockback allows Alette to be the front line of your team, or to lock down a whole segment of the map on her own, if you want to inflict damage then you will need people to stand in front of Alette. Probably buff her with your skald as well, since that will let her crit the big dredge for enough damage to cripple them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread