Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Literally almost every show there to a one is hosed up or dead in some way. USGamer gets namedropped, Idle Thumbs network is the top title, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Forever missing Idle Thumbs

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I recently christened my new fightstick with an old idle thumbs sticker I had lying around. If I remember I’ll edit a picture of it in here when I get home from work tonight.

:rip:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Every time something absurd happens in the video game industry (this happens a lot) I genuinely think about how Idle Thumbs would have spun it out into nonsense.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Extremely gaming-adjacent but Shelved By Genre is just a really fun exploration of oddball genre fiction with Austin Walker and the Game Study Study Buddies crew.
Same with A More Civilizard Age's Bonus Episodes covering Star Wars KOTOR has been an incredible listen.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Might be time for a thread refresh. I'll take a stab at it when I've got some free time if nobody beats me to the punch.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Fancy Hat! posted:

Extremely gaming-adjacent but Shelved By Genre is just a really fun exploration of oddball genre fiction with Austin Walker and the Game Study Study Buddies crew.
Same with A More Civilizard Age's Bonus Episodes covering Star Wars KOTOR has been an incredible listen.

The AMCA KOTOR episodes have been a delight.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Suburban Dad posted:

Since it's revived I'll suggest Into the Aether. They describe it as a low key video game podcast where they aren't beholden to new releases. It's two guys that have been friends forever talking about games from any time really and they only talk about stuff they like, so pretty much only good vibes. They try a bunch of stuff from mobile games to old Dreamcast stuff, and everything in between. They do a monthly bonus where they go in depth on a game (the next one is twilight princess for example) same talk about it at length. They do a big game of the year episode that is seriously long (probably not a great place to start) and they usually open each season with a console bonus where they play a ton of games from a specific old console and rank their top 5 or 10.

No ads for anything during the show and they don't advertise anywhere, just word of mouth. They make me chuckle from time to time, they have pretty great chemistry.

Just wanted to say thanks, I checked out ItA because of your post and I really like it!

In other news, the Watch Out For Fireballs people are doing a big new show for Baldurs Gate 3: https://www.reallichhours.com/

I'm digging Remap Radio, but I think they're in a transition period right now as they rotate the standard roster of hosts: https://remapradio.com/
Definitely agree with the people praising the kotor eps of AMCA.

Some of the game-focused eps of Worst of all Possible Worlds have be quite good.
EDIT: One more, I've been really liking the FF9 season of No One Can Know About This

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Just so nobody is trying to work at cross-purposes, I've been cleaning up the OP list and streamlining shows based on what's dead and what's not, as well as a few discussions in this and the Retro Games thread that both suggested some shows. Formatting isn't final and I still need to check that all the links are working/strip the Twitters out of this before it goes live, mostly just posting this as a "are there any obvious missing shows on here". It's really clear I've been working top down and need to recategorize everything, haha, you can see the exact instant my cleanup stops and I haven't finished the link checks.

claw game handjob posted:

Three Moves Ahead
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is quite good at avoiding repeating itself in topics. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny, Troy Goodfellow
Links: Site iTunes RSS

Watch Out For Fireballs! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield, Kole Ross

Abject Suffering (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Sort of like the dark twin to Watch Out For Fireballs' in-depth discussion, Gary and Kole are 'assigned' lovely games by listeners which they must play for 30 minutes minimum before the show, and it tends to become more improv comedy than actual discussion a lot of the time. If you've ever wanted to hear grown men decide "You know something? Bad Rats is a secret success." this is the show for you.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield, Kole Ross

Retronauts
Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back.
Hosts (rotating, regulars are): Jeremy Parish, Bob Mackey, Diamond Feit, Stuart Gipp, Nadia Oxford
Links: Site iTunes RSS Twitter

Axe of the Blood God
Weekly RPG-focused podcast. The successor to prior shows Roleplayer's Realm (RIP Gamepro) and Active Time Babble (RIP 1UP), Kat Bailey goes for the hat trick in reviving the show under a new name at a new site (which outlived its original host, RIP USGamer). Gone independent, and seems to be doing pretty well for itself.
Hosts: Kat Bailey, Nadia Oxford, Eric Van Allen

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which is spoken highly of and usually a lot more laser-focused than most of these. Now with real boy audio equipment! It has some fantastic people on it but I've never gotten into it because it can be dry.
Cast: Tom Francis, Philippa (Pip) Warr, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Giant Bombcast
We don't go here anymore.
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann Brad Shoemaker ???
Cast: I legitimately don't know and the site is a corpse so I ain't a-lookin'.

Nextlander
Three men who got off of the Giant Bomb train before it began derailing, they picked back up and decided they were going to basically continue "Giant Bomb East" in independent form.
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Alex Navarro, Brad Shoemaker
Links: Site/Patreon Youtube RSS

Castle Super Beast
The remains of the Super Best Friendscast, probably has more fighting game content by volume than anything else on this list, as well as whatever wild poo poo the hosts have been living through or discovered in their backlogs this week.
Hosts: Woolie Madden, Patrick Boivin
Links: Site

Isometric
Hosted by three women who proceeded to become yet another set of ex-5by5 refugees within the first year of their show existing, Isometric focuses on talking about video gaming from a different perspective. Includes lots of in jokes about hand turkeys and Georgia Dow being an incredibly polite Canadian serial killer, and on some weeks a lot of really frustrated laughing.
Cast: Brianna Wu, Maddy Myers, Georgia Dow, and Steve Lubitz

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.
Links: Site RSS

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

PC Gamer UK Podcast
Once upon a time, the above show "Crate & Crowbar" was from the British arm of magazine PC Gamer's staff. Then it became its own thing, and PCG's podcast became a pile of wank by yanks. Don't go look it up, it blew. But now there's a new incarnation of this, so we'll all give it a shot and hope for the best!

Easy Allies Podcast
Strictly on-topic (but still funny) one hour gaming news podcast, the successor to GT Time from the former Gametrailers crew. High production values, smart, snappy discussion, corrections, listener questions, and the all important weekly bets.
Hosts: Kyle Bosman, Brandon Jones + rotating Michael Huber, Ian Hinck, Ben Moore, Bradley Ellis, Daniel Bloodworth
Links: Youtube Site iTunes

Frame Trap
Longer form discussions about what the Easy Allies crew have been playing recently and wider musings about industry goings on in a looser, longer form atmosphere. Never let your guard down, because HOTAKE could be invoked at any moment. If you hate Battleborn, you'll love this podcast.
Hosts: Ben Moore + rotating Kyle Bosman, Brandon Jones, Michael Huber, Ian Hinck, Bradley Ellis, Daniel Bloodworth
Links: Youtube Site iTunes

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try. Play the ChronX drinking game: buy a 6-pack in January and open a bottle every time an episode releases. See if you've finished the 6-pack by year's end.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and "roguelites" (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan. Tend to lean a little more guarded on some topics because it's still their job and they work with a lot of people being discussed in the news.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

Game Design Roundtable
Discussion of principles and decisions gone into (a lot of tabletop) games with the creators/creative teams behind them. Rather in-depth but still listenable.
Links: Site

Top Score
It's a weekly show where host Emily Reese interviews people involved in composing the music for video games. It's a bit public radio-y, for obvious reasons, but it's an interesting look at a side of games that doesn't get much real attention. More recent episodes have been interviews with Winifred Phillips, composer for Little Big Planet 3 and Assassin's Creed Liberation; Jason Graves for Evolve and The Order; Peter McConnell for Grim Fandango and Hearthstone; Jukio Kallio for Luftrausers; and Ben Prunty for FTL.
Cast: Emily Reese and weekly guest
Links: Twitter Site iTunes RSS

Game Audio Podcast
Focuses on interviews with creators and technicians in game audio. Sometimes episodes will be on a topic of the field, rather than just a specific soundtrack (unless, again, it's an interview week).

Talking Simpsons
Bob Mackey hosts this and it's really well-done. An episode by episode look at the Simpsons, in chronological order, with discussion of what was happening that week in pop culture and the world for context. Leads well into...
Links: Site iTunes

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still a Retronauts alumni (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad. Somehow puts out less episodes than Chrontendo.

Computer Game Evolution, a show that slowly builds the history of how we got from board games and their earliest forms to the current chapter he's in, the 70s-80s bridge, and how a lot of things that get credited as 90s innovations were around forever, just in myriad dead-ends or never known titles. Real good stuff.

Similarly good but a bit more niche is Inverted Castle, a Metroidvania discussion show that got me back into the genre recently. I'd classify it as the kind of duo of hosts I want on more game discussion series, where nobody stonewalls the other over minutiae, and they're both pretty aware of their own tastes but when a game is just outside of those and otherwise sound.

They Create Worlds is a lot more on the side of History Of People and Industry. It's bi-monthly, tightly edited, extremely fact dense, more than a little bit of original research. They cover a lot more Arcade and PC game companies and their history. Very much around delving deep into topics.
https://videogamehistorian.wordpress.com/about/ - more on Alex Smith and his MO. I would kinda call this the "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History" of retro gaming podcasts, except it's more in the form of a conversation.

Hardcore Gaming 101 - Top 47,858 Games of All Time . Hardcore Gaming 101 seems to be a writers collective that produces books, etc, and the concept of the podcast is to "Stack Rank Everything!!" - this is an extremely eclectic show, the cast is knowledgeable and geeky as hell.

Podoken! - Retro arcade owners / collectors cover one arcade game per episode.

Retro - Adjacent but entertaining:
Insert Credit Podcast - also eclectic topics in the form of a twisted panel session.
https://insertcredit.com/show/290/ - I liked this episode where they cover all games Treasure made.

Axe of The Blood God - RPG focused, Nadia Oxford also appears on Retronauts.

Home Brew Game Club - Talks about new games for retro consoles.

Retro Computing -
Jason Scott Talks His Way Out of It - Jason Scott is THE retro guy for Archive.org, also created several originally researched documentaries on BBSs.

Apple Time Warp Podcast - John Romero got his start on the Apple II and he's a BIG 8 bit history nut. Didn't produce too many episodes with these interviews. Romero famously has a high capability of recalling information, and here he is on 8 bit PCs.

Designer Notes interviews with game designers, frequently veterans who've been in the industry for a while - so lots of 90's PC stuff

Nate The Hate with Modern Vintage Gamer - If you like MVG he also has a podcast, though more discussion of current events.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 18, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Castle superbeast is hosted by Woolie Madden and Patrick Boivin.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can probably add Retro Game Squad and New Game Plus.

RGS is three friends playing a smattering of old games based on a console or theme over a month or so and then voting which is the personal best.

NGP is three friends selecting a game randomly and playing for a week to try it out and see what they think

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Is Rob Zacny ever on TMA anymore?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A lot of those podcast descriptions are a little out of date but Easy Allies and Frame Trap are in DESPERATE need of an update because not only have a lot of the crew moved on, but Isla Hinck is referred to by a deadname.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I started listening to the Get Played! Game of the year award episode and it's called the Goatses. If that's not endorsement enough, then I don't know what to tell you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SpannerX posted:

Is Rob Zacny ever on TMA anymore?

Like once a year at most. Almost as rare as Troy appearing, it's too bad. The hosts and guests have gotten progressively worse and less incisive in their criticism over the years. I only really turn on when it's some of the old timers on again.

He did host a Micheal Mann film retrospective which was alright, I'd say good but only Zacny understood that Miami Vice is one of the greatest films ever made.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn’t that on waypoint? Or did he do another one with TMA

TMA has fallen off my downloads, which is too bad. I listened to so many hours of that podcast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think it was on waypoint and is now on the post waypoint feed. Idk, seems like the poster just wanted to hear the dulcet tones of Mr.Zacny once again.

Jordan7hm posted:

TMA has fallen off my downloads, which is too bad. I listened to so many hours of that podcast.
It's understandable given the careers and age of most the original guys, but man it sucks that there really is nothing comparable to the pod anymore in the strategy space.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Wasn’t that on waypoint? Or did he do another one with TMA

They just need to put Rowan on a timer. "You've hammered on about some random loving thing for 5 min, we are now muting your mic so others can talk"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kris xK posted:

They just need to put Rowan on a timer. "You've hammered on about some random loving thing for 5 min, we are now muting your mic so others can talk"

I stopped listening to Insert Credit for the same reason; Tim Rogers is always the first to talk, filibusters until he maybe figures out why he was talking in the first place, and is completely incapable of ending a paragraph. Dude sucks poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kris xK posted:

I've not downloaded an episode with Rowan on intentionally in years. I've never seen someone use so many words to say nothing at all.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I started listening to the Get Played! Game of the year award episode and it's called the Goatses. If that's not endorsement enough, then I don't know what to tell you.

I feel like we got there first with http://goty.cx but I endorse this all the same.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I stopped listening to Insert Credit for the same reason; Tim Rogers is always the first to talk, filibusters until he maybe figures out why he was talking in the first place, and is completely incapable of ending a paragraph. Dude sucks poo poo.

I go through cycles of how much it bothers me - Tim frequently has good or funny points in the midst of that verbosity - but will admit that I preferred the chunk of episodes where Tim was out and they just had a rotating guest slot instead.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mode 7 posted:

I go through cycles of how much it bothers me - Tim frequently has good or funny points in the midst of that verbosity - but will admit that I preferred the chunk of episodes where Tim was out and they just had a rotating guest slot instead.

I think I got introduced to the show when he wasn't on it, and it was this fun and snappy show with cool guests, then this bloviating idiot starts showing up and it's like 86% unlistenable sludge, 9% someone else gets to talk, 4% soundboard, 1% he actually tells a funny joke. If someone could please let me know when he's off the show again, I'd appreciate it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ja2ke posted:

I feel like we got there first with http://goty.cx but I endorse this all the same.

It’s exactly what I thought of.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mostly just posting this as a "are there any obvious missing shows on here".

Remap isn't on there.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate & Crowbar has been in shaky ground lately. The most recent episode is over a month old and it had been two weeks since the one before that. The hosts have shuffled around a bit as well. They’ve added Jamie Brittain as a recurring guest/host and some of the others haven’t been on in a long time.

Bummer, they were my favorite after Thumbs.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Biggest one missing that I didn't see mentioned is MinnMax. MinnMax is good.

Kinda Funny also exists but I don't really like their shows.

Frame Trap just released their last episode, number 200. So that one can be removed.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Speaking of MinnMax, frequent collaborator Jacob Geller is also part of Something Rotten, another good podcast which is deep dives into "rotten" games. Not bad games, but games that are dark, violent or nihilistic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Just so nobody is trying to work at cross-purposes, I've been cleaning up the OP list and streamlining shows based on what's dead and what's not, as well as a few discussions in this and the Retro Games thread that both suggested some shows. Formatting isn't final and I still need to check that all the links are working/strip the Twitters out of this before it goes live, mostly just posting this as a "are there any obvious missing shows on here". It's really clear I've been working top down and need to recategorize everything, haha, you can see the exact instant my cleanup stops and I haven't finished the link checks.

Fire Escape Cast?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
The Jeff Gerstmann Show and the Video Game History Hour are good adds too.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Abnormal Mapping is a pretty good monthly game club podcast

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd be less harsh on the Giant Bomb entry, even if some corporate shenanigans resulted in the dismissal of SA's very own voidburger :(

The current staff there with Jan Ochoa hosting, Jeff Grubb anchoring, Dan Rykert being his weird rear end self and Jeff Bakalar playing straightman works well.

I can't recommend adding Designer Notes enough, generally hosted by Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ IV among many other illustrious credits. They interview prominent game designers in the industry about their career paths, decision making, etc. Someone on SA recommended it to me for the Justin Ma & Matthew Davis (FTL/Into the Breach) episodes, but most have been utterly fascinating.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

I'd be less harsh on the Giant Bomb entry, even if some corporate shenanigans resulted in the dismissal of SA's very own voidburger :(

The current staff there with Jan Ochoa hosting, Jeff Grubb anchoring, Dan Rykert being his weird rear end self and Jeff Bakalar playing straightman works well.

I can't recommend adding Designer Notes enough, generally hosted by Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ IV among many other illustrious credits. They interview prominent game designers in the industry about their career paths, decision making, etc. Someone on SA recommended it to me for the Justin Ma & Matthew Davis (FTL/Into the Breach) episodes, but most have been utterly fascinating.

i honestly really like GB the way it is now. it has a lot of energy and they mix it up a lot. having an expanded cast to draw from really keeps it fresh.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah I really like the interjections from Bailey and Tamoor. And sometimes Mitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
Axe of the Blood God is in there in both the main list and the Retro section.

Anne Scantlebury hasn't been part of One Life Left in a long time. For correctness, you can list AI Charles Cecil in her place.

ShallowKnave fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 24, 2024