Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol ... was sort of tuned-out listening to Waypoint when it suddenly occurred to me I'm listening to Special Dragon's Dogma Resident Expert Austin Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Vice/Waypoint is either stupid or on life support… or both.

SIX MINUTES TWENTY TWO SECONDS OF PREROLL ADS!!!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Phone posted:

Vice/Waypoint is either stupid or on life support… or both.

SIX MINUTES TWENTY TWO SECONDS OF PREROLL ADS!!!

Are you talking about the latest podcast? Most of that six minutes was a special announcement about their upcoming live stream, not an "ad" in the traditional sense.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because it does that dynamic ad insert thing, it was 2 Vice specific ads followed by 3 Klepek spots.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Looks like Waypoint listened to some of the Too Many Ads criticism. There's an ad-free version of the podcast for subscribers, in addition to their exclusive stuff.

I was delving into my podcast backlog, and I really loved Hyperbolic Game Chamber's approach to the comedy video game podcast. They tied their bits into the game story well, they get extremely enthusiastic about how wild the character beats and story arcs in games can be, and they take you on a journey through the whole thing.

Waypoint can often deliver some of the same fun, and they have interesting insightful things to say, but the focus is a lot more diffuse, and the fact that they care about spoilers often limits their ability to riff on later-game developments. Still extremely good for banter, though. Probably my favorite of the gaming podcasts I follow that tries to also be a news show.

Someone recommended Plumbing the Death Star to me last month. Australian comedy podcast, focusing on pop culture nerd stuff in general, their game episodes tend to have a very cursory understanding of the material, but they still spin it into solid jokes and ideas. A little bit too vulgar for my tastes, but I've still definitely enjoyed a number of episodes.

Watch Out for Fireballs is a goon podcast, they present a full-game deep dive even more in depth than Hyperbolic Game Chamber, and I really liked their ability to capture the flavor of the whole journey, but it isn't primarily intended as a comedy experience. They can do very enjoyable banter, and I really liked their tradRPG Monster in My Podcast, but I don't usually end up re-listening to an episode because I want to hear the jokes again.

Let's see, anything else game-specific.... Visual Novel Book Club is great! Slowbeef and crew are a delight whether I've played the game or not. I just wish that they put the episodes prior to 6 up in podcast form, I can't exactly play a giant youtube video on my phone without going through some setup hassle.

No One Can Know About This is more of an edited audio Let's Play, but it's a fun ride nonetheless. They have solid banter and that balance of enthusiasm for the project and appreciation of how silly the game can be that makes a podcast really hit for me.

Are there any gaming podcasts I might be overlooking these days? I'd be especially delighted if I discovered another Hyperbolic Game Chamber, whether it's a currently active podcast or not.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Insert Credit with Alex Jaffe (affable host), Frank Cifaldi (game archivist), Tim Rogers (verbose video game reviewer/essayist & developer), and Brandon Sheffield (game developer and sega kid) is a nice one that you'd probably enjoy tho I imagine you've already heard it given all the others you listed.

https://insertcredit.com/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

avoraciopoctules posted:

Are there any gaming podcasts I might be overlooking these days? I'd be especially delighted if I discovered another Hyperbolic Game Chamber, whether it's a currently active podcast or not.
Castle Super Beast is one of the bigger ones, Pat and Woolie formerly of the Super Best Friend Cast reformed into it. They do some variety stuff but also a lot of game stuff, and some solid and knowledgeable takes on games(as well as The Hottest of Takes otherwise), as well as game news. They're my go-to gaming podcast these days.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re ad reads are loving miserable and last forever though. Good otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good thing you can fast forward through them

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Every time I see posts in this thread I get excited that Idle Thumbs is back.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They aren't even making games anymore, let alone podcasts.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

hadji murad posted:

My thought process doesn't get that far but the words "gaming podcast" do make me think of IT.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Two of them were credited in a game that came out in March! Edit: poo poo three actually, sorry Vanaman.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I miss Idle Thumbs and Important If True with all my heart :(

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is this a Valve joke or have they genuinely transitioned out of the industry? They've smartly taken a step back from their social media/internet presence so I don't actually know what they're up to. I know Chris Remo has his crossword YouTube that actually was the push that finally unlocked crosswords for me.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

hadji murad posted:

:same:

Nick Breckon still does streams on the Idle Thumbs channel on Twitch sometimes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

101 posted:

I miss Idle Thumbs and Important If True with all my heart :(

Big same. I've dropped all of my gaming podcasts at this point except for the odd WOFF episode but would happily resubscribe to IT.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Xtanstic posted:

Is this a Valve joke or have they genuinely transitioned out of the industry? They've smartly taken a step back from their social media/internet presence so I don't actually know what they're up to. I know Chris Remo has his crossword YouTube that actually was the push that finally unlocked crosswords for me.

That Archeology game that they were working on got cancelled, so whatever they're doing at Steam, it isn't that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is anyone doing anything like A Life Well Wasted? Stories about people who make games, subcultures etc. Failing that - a 99% Invisible but for games?

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

erstwhile thumbs are doing the same things they've been doing for years: working on video games at valve, most recently alyx & aperture desk job.

for game podcasts i think the only thing i listen to is game studies study buddies. it's monthly, and tightly focused on a specific piece of video game(ish) academic writing, so it's not going to be for everyone, but if you're into more structured stuff like this they've got a bevy of other podcasts in the same vein. the homestuck podcast even heavy features this very forum! prestigious!

noah gervais makes video essays that are honorary podcasts.

for random chitchat i just got streams on in the background nowadays :sweatdrop:

Chas McGill posted:

Is anyone doing anything like A Life Well Wasted? Stories about people who make games, subcultures etc. Failing that - a 99% Invisible but for games?

no idea about podcasts, but this stuff is fairly common on youtube. there's even a channel directly called people make games, but it's got a heavy lean towards depressing analysis of systemic problems rather then dives into specific creators or whatev. good channel tho. watched the vid about a second life brothel recently & you would not believe how big the asses are.

edit: actually, scratch that, the asses are exactly as big as you'd expect. what's unbelievable is that people will put up with playing second life, because the loading times required to do anything look fuckin, like, biblically maddening

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

That Archeology game that they were working on got cancelled, so whatever they're doing at Steam, it isn't that.

Basically all of us worked on Half Life Alyx, which I know is a VR game so some people just don’t count it, especially in the world of binary Goon opinions. But we all did story work on it, Vanaman wrote a ton of that game (and it has both the Firewatch leads in small roles), and Remo and I both worked on various pieces of art and design in it. Weirdly we ended up doing a bunch of pocket Half Life lore for it - all the newspapers you can pick up and read in the game were designed by me and written by Chris. I did some level design on it especially across the narrative infused areas like the opening on the rooftop, the train wreck, the scene with the shadowy woman talking to the advisor. It was a lot of small stuff across the game but ended up adding up to quite a lot of work. We’ve also worked on Steam Deck, and many of us are working on Unannounced Things. I see you say we are working “at steam,” and I’d say that’s a misnomer. Other than a few little things here or there, and other than some work on Steam Deck, we’ve largely worked on game projects since we got here. The biggest one is Half Life Alyx but there have been some smaller things like Dota Underlords and also some things that are unannounced.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ja2ke posted:

Basically all of us worked on Half Life Alyx, which I know is a VR game so some people just don’t count it, especially in the world of binary Goon opinions. But we all did story work on it, Vanaman wrote a ton of that game (and it has both the Firewatch leads in small roles), and Remo and I both worked on various pieces of art and design in it. Weirdly we ended up doing a bunch of pocket Half Life lore for it - all the newspapers you can pick up and read in the game were designed by me and written by Chris. I did some level design on it especially across the narrative infused areas like the opening on the rooftop, the train wreck, the scene with the shadowy woman talking to the advisor. It was a lot of small stuff across the game but ended up adding up to quite a lot of work. We’ve also worked on Steam Deck, and many of us are working on Unannounced Things. I see you say we are working “at steam,” and I’d say that’s a misnomer. Other than a few little things here or there, and other than some work on Steam Deck, we’ve largely worked on game projects since we got here. The biggest one is Half Life Alyx but there have been some smaller things like Dota Underlords and also some things that are unannounced.

Hi Jake, thanks for answering. Sorry, when I said "at Steam" I forgot the actual name of the company "Valve". I had to read your post twice before it even registered what I did lol. Hope everyone is doing well, miss the pods.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I hope Jake doesn't read that I'd definitely subscribe on Patreon if there was a comeback.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

hadji murad posted:

I hope Jake doesn't read that I'd definitely subscribe on Patreon if there was a comeback.

I’d subscribe too, but that might be money laundering?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ja2ke posted:

I’d subscribe too, but that might be money laundering?

Let’s worry about that after the comeback.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
It must have been more than a year since I've thought about the Dota underlords genre. Everyone talked about it for 2 months and I assume it mostly died out after that.

EDIT: it actually has about 2k concurrent players on steam, so I guess it's very much not dead.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I never beat any of the Half Life games until recently, I always got too spooked as a kid and gave up after a few head crabs jumped at me.

I finally got around to playing through Black Mesa and it was fantastic. Working thru Half Life 2 now. Half Life Alyx might be enough to convince me to get a headset (I also play a lot of flight sims), it looks neat and I just like any Half Life lore now.

Consider this post another vote for the Idle Thumbs comeback.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I like watching Chris solve crosswords.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
https://twitter.com/robertashley/status/1602383099165384704
Haven't listened to this yet, but wowzers. Didn't expect there would ever be another episode of A Life Well Wasted. What a nice surprise.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

avoraciopoctules posted:

Renata Price gave some preview impressions of Fire Emblem Engage in a recent Waypoint Radio episode. The way she described Emblem Marth's self-introduction as a tipping point that really transformed the way she viewed the game was quite interesting. Of course, there's still some room for some surprising reveals in the latter half of the game, but I think I am fine with a pretty basic weekend cartoon plot if they have really made the combat as compelling as she says.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-532-happy-new-year-heres-a-peasant-uprising/id1159170164?i=1000592931480

In general, I've been really happy with the last few months of Waypoint Radio. Charismatic hosts, nice joke's, some pretty insightful commentary on events.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

avoraciopoctules posted:

In general, I've been really happy with the last few months of Waypoint Radio. Charismatic hosts, nice joke's, some pretty insightful commentary on events.

It's definitely one of my favorite listens of the week. Ren is so good, and spins a great yarn.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I subbed on their last sale and have been watching way too many Michael Mann shows since.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

https://twitter.com/robertashley/status/1602383099165384704
Haven't listened to this yet, but wowzers. Didn't expect there would ever be another episode of A Life Well Wasted. What a nice surprise.

Really hope he continues recording. Sometimes the editing and music are a bit too much, but I love the stories he unearths.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/1651702008074629121?t=27fY6fKEnm-YCIdziijhQw&s=09

I'm sure they'll all land elsewhere but this was probably my very favourite.

I did catch Patrick calling out Rob buying a new, very expensive, gaming rig a few episodes ago as a terrible decision specifically for when they're working for a company in a "financially precarious position".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh gently caress off vice. Hope they just start their own Patreon I really liked their podcasts.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh gently caress off vice. Hope they just start their own Patreon I really liked their podcasts.

I wish them the best but I kinda doubt they'd have the numbers to support 4 people off a patreon.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

kanonvandekempen posted:

I wish them the best but I kinda doubt they'd have the numbers to support 4 people off a patreon.

Yeah, I think at least Patrick's gonna want something with some traditional health care, because of his kids.

Pretty bummed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just renewed in dec for plus I wonder if vice is gonna refund me them fuckers. Haha right.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd definitely subscribe to a Patreon if it happened but all the same I can't help but feel that Patreon videogame podcasts have rapidly become an over-saturated field over the past year or so and it'd be tough for them to make a living with a team of that size. Would love to be wrong about that though!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea, I’m not sure where they even go now. All the games journalist websites have vanished. I’m sure they’ll be fine I just want to listen to them talk about stuff every week. They actually had meaningful conversations about the terrible stuff around the industry which other games podcasts don’t have cause it’s mostly old white guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

teethgrinder posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/1651702008074629121?t=27fY6fKEnm-YCIdziijhQw&s=09

I'm sure they'll all land elsewhere but this was probably my very favourite.

I did catch Patrick calling out Rob buying a new, very expensive, gaming rig a few episodes ago as a terrible decision specifically for when they're working for a company in a "financially precarious position".

liked it better when Austin Walker was still on the pod, but still one of my favorite gaming podcasts. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later - the past few years have been brutal on digital media in general, and Vice specifically had already been through multiple waves of layoffs in that time - but it still loving sucks