Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thank you Joe Biden for floating out the "yeah we want to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell and also Gay Marriage is cool" balloon and the rest of the administration followed suit.

The sentiment was there, but Biden saying it directly was a big push for the movement in the administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CannonFodder posted:

Thank you Joe Biden for floating out the "yeah we want to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell and also Gay Marriage is cool" balloon and the rest of the administration followed suit.

The sentiment was there, but Biden saying it directly was a big push for the movement in the administration.

Point still stands.

I don't really care what someone thought about SSM or DADT in the 90's or even 2008. I care what they think in 2016.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Point still stands.

I don't really care what someone thought about SSM or DADT in the 90's or even 2008. I care what they think in 2016.

Can we agree that Loretta Lynch owns bones and Mayor McCheese is a disappointment to the fine state of North Carolina? I hate that he's my governor.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Can we agree that Loretta Lynch owns bones and Mayor McCheese is a disappointment to the fine state of North Carolina? I hate that he's my governor.

Yes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It was self evident from the moment the Obama administration actually started doing anything with LGBT issues.

Any liberal who sits out or votes third party this election is a traitor to the cause as far as I'm concerned. :commissar:

I kind of feel that they knew they couldn't get away with thsi in his first time but the 2nd time around they're really going all out.

edit:

I hope Lynch runs for office.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Actual foreign fields news for this weirdly American centric thread:
Same sex union (not "marriage") are now legal in Italy. They went for a special "concubinage" status for both hetero&gay couples. It covers hospital and i think "some" heritage rights, allows one member to take the name of the other. If it's anything like the French Pacs in ten years 90% of the people getting one will be heterosexuals.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 12, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Isle of Man has recently allowed for both marriage and civil unions for both same and mixed sex couples, which makes them the only place in the North Atlantic archipelago to allow all four. That's good news as equal civil partnerships are stalled everywhere in the UK.

In other foreign LGBT news, the petition to allow people to self define their gender in the UK rather than having a medical gatekeeping process has recently been stalled until further notice.

quote:

There will be a delay in publishing the Government’s response to your committee’s report on transgender equality.

As I mentioned at the Women and Equalities OPQs on 14 March, the Government welcomed your report and is studying the recommendations in detail. However, this process is taking time. Your report called for very significant changes to the legislative framework around gender recognition, as well as significant reforms of NHS and other public service processes, covering around a dozen different public bodies in total. We are looking through these carefully, but we are not yet in a position to issue a substantive response on all of them.

I understand that you were hoping to see the Government’s response immediately after the Easter recess. Unfortunately, we need more time to ensure the best possible response to your report overall. But I will keep you informed of progress and let you know the publication date in good time.
I'm not confident that this will pass though. I look forward to lovely arguments from ministers like "but what if I just decide to redefine my gender one day? what if everyone decided that? the horror :qq:"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

While Republican state leaders have complained about being “bullied” by the federal government over House Bill 2, lobbyists in Raleigh tell WRAL News they and the businesses they represent are being bullied by state lawmakers seeking to silence business opposition to the new law.

Lobbyists say they’ve been told – either directly by legislative leaders or by lawmakers’ staff – that, if they or the businesses they represent speak out publicly against House Bill 2, they can expect retribution from House and Senate leaders.

Legislation they want won’t move, and other bills could actually target them. WRAL News spoke with 11 lobbyists who have experienced or are aware of such actions, but none would speak on the record for fear they would lose business or be targeted for retribution.

House Majority Leader Mike Hager, a vocal supporter of House Bill 2, recently tweeted at a lobbyist, “Wow I would think from all your negative posts about HB2 that u weren’t a lobbyist and didn’t have to work with the majority.”

“That’s not a threat,” Hager, R-Rutherford, explained to WRAL News. “We want people that’ll work with us. We don’t want people that’ll go out there and bash us on Twitter and bash us on Facebook.”

Hager wants to remove state tax breaks that currently benefit American Airlines, NASCAR, Google, Apple and Facebook, all of which have taken public positions against House Bill 2. But he said that’s just a coincidence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wish there was a way to combine :drat: and :lol:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Source please? Also, I love that Trans rights is such a big issue that the right is willing to throw big business under the bus just to preserve the gender binary.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

Source please? Also, I love that Trans rights is such a big issue that the right is willing to throw big business under the bus just to preserve the gender binary.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/north_carolina_republicans_now_targeting_companies_that_oppose_hb2_for_retribution

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BigRed0427 posted:

Big business funds the Republican party, but social conservatives vote for them.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The World Congress of Families meets this weekend. It's the World Cup of hate, and like last year, US groups are playing a big part spreading and reinforcing the anti-gay propaganda that we've come to know and love.

There's the usual anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-woman, and pro-violence sentiments, of course, but there is also a growing rhetoric in opposition to western values and the US specifically. Watching that little political flower grow and blossom over the next decade should be fun.

The gathering is massive. This article has a good list of european and US attendees, and sparse information on attendees from other continents.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/religious-right-leaders-head-republic-georgia-pro-family-attacks-west

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cythereal posted:

Big business funds the Republican party, but social conservatives vote for them.

Democracy works! :haw:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I love that Southern Strategy is finally coming around to bite them in the rear end.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Catholic Church calls Italy's civil unions law "creeping fascism".

You know, as opposed to the literal fascism that the Catholic Church supported in Italy in the 1930s.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://n.pr/1YqGol8

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NC Governor Pat McCrory posted:

We're cool with the economic left tho, those guys are neat.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Quote is not edit

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

"This wasn't a politicial issue until it was made an issue in politics!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TinTower posted:

You know, as opposed to the literal fascism that the Catholic Church supported in Italy in the 1930s.

Also in Germany, Spain and Croatia, and anywhere else they could in all likelihood. One cannot overstate exactly how frightened the Catholic Church was of losing power and influence, and arguably they still are. They were willing to do heinous things to support any government they thought would be favourable to the Church -- knowing this, I think it's little coincidence that fascist dictators really sought to work with the Catholic Church in countries where it was a powerful force.

If the midwest US were Catholic, Donald Trump would be the Most Tremendous friend to the Catholic church, I tell you, you've never seen a better friend to the Church than Donald Trump would be.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TinTower posted:

The Catholic Church calls Italy's civil unions law "creeping fascism".

Lol, if you like confusion used as a nonsensical political argument: the anti-gay French Catholics from "la manif pour tous" manifested out of nowhere during some unrelated event for the memorial day of slavery (it's mostly about the triangular trade) against medically assisted procreation of all things because a gay couples could use a surrogate mother to have their children for money, and it's clearly monetizing the female human body (add a "and you call yourself FEMINIST" if you are in favor) and therefore related to slavery ("it's the new modern slavery" and gently caress both lesbian couples and heterosexual sterile couples who both want to use their own bodies to have children).
It has been terrible last few months for the French Catholics, the pedophile priests stories are finally out in force and when the "manif pour tous" leader asked the FN to campaign for the revocation of gay marriage, they were told by the FN's second in command that noone gave a gently caress about removing gay marriage and that it was there to stay. Of course it's because they were too busy campaigning against gay marriage to realize the FN was going after the gay vote (the islamophobic ones, Pim Fortuyn style) and is the only party on the right who didn't campaign against gay marriage and is like the only political party in France with gay people in major political positions in the party (it's pretty pretty sad). So they are down to manifesting during slavery event and complaining that the french far right lost its way and how those 80 years old people telling everyone how priests raped them with the Church protection 70 years ago are just communist who want to destroy Catholicism.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 14, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There's a reason I can't in good conscience consider myself a Catholic anymore.

The Church got up to some serious poo poo, and god knows how much of it is still going on behind the scenes now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there any country where Catholic clergy weren't loving children? It's disturbingly common -- both the raping and the subsequent coverups that always occurred.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

There's a reason I can't in good conscience consider myself a Catholic anymore.
At the trial of a homophobic murder, the parents of one of the skinheads/killers using "but he is such a good catholic" as a defence mantra and the total lack of empathy for the victim from the church members dragged to be "character witness" for "the good catholic", that's what did it for me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Is there any country where Catholic clergy weren't loving children? It's disturbingly common -- both the raping and the subsequent coverups that always occurred.

Antarctica?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

PT6A posted:

No, and if you want to feel really depressed, nothing ever really got fixed. Even under the latest pope, journalists have reported cases where pedophile priests are getting sent to different continents and to rural orphanages. The church doesn't give a gently caress about its chomos, except in the context of moving them toward more and more vulnerable populations where the stigma of rape gets high enough to keep the kids from talking.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Antarctica is not a country. It has no permanent human residents, although a number of countries have claimed regions of it as territory.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Antarctica is not a country. It has no permanent human residents, although a number of countries have claimed regions of it as territory.

:thejoke:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

On Something Awful? Heavens forbid.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Ah yes, children being raped, that great joke

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

PT6A posted:

It's not just Catholic clergy. Basically any profession where people have access to kids is gonna have pedophiles. Teachers, clergy of all faiths, coaches. Family members. And if they're seen as a community leader people will make excuses for it. The scandal with the Catholic Church was the overarching institutions response to the issue being to hide the perpetrator and then shuffle them off somewhere else to do the same thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Booourns posted:

Ah yes, children being raped, that great joke

gently caress off and take your bizarre vendetta with you

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

State College, PA.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Schizotek posted:

It's not just Catholic clergy. Basically any profession where people have access to kids is gonna have pedophiles. Teachers, clergy of all faiths, coaches. Family members. And if they're seen as a community leader people will make excuses for it. The scandal with the Catholic Church was the overarching institutions response to the issue being to hide the perpetrator and then shuffle them off somewhere else to do the same thing.

Not to mention the evidence that they've been doing just that for at least 50 years.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Schizotek posted:

Yes, let's ignore the non-marrigable aspect peculiar to Catholic clergy then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

computer parts posted:

State College, PA.

...well played.

Honestly it's just depressing how eager people are to ignore kidfucking if there's any reason at all for them to do so.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

PT6A posted:

...well played.

Honestly it's just depressing how eager people are to ignore kidfucking if there's any reason at all for them to do so.

And at the same time demonize the LGBT community as a threat to children

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to mention the evidence that they've been doing just that for at least 50 years.

Probably way longer. I can imagine this is just the way they always handled it.

Otteration posted:

Yes, let's ignore the non-marrigable aspect peculiar to Catholic clergy then.

I am. Because it's not terribly relevant. Pedophiles are common (as they are anywhere) among Rabbi's, Imams, and other denominations preachers. There's just no monolithic magisterium to cover it up for them, and shuffle them off to rural Brazil. And given child abuse statistics, the lack of marriage is more likely to be an issue because they don't have any kids of their own, as opposed to just not getting enough adult vag. There are hookers/tinder/bars for that after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.npr.org/2016/05/15/477954537/when-a-transgender-person-uses-a-public-bathroom-who-is-at-risk

oy

• Locked thread