Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Schizotek posted:

Probably way longer. I can imagine this is just the way they always handled it.

I am. Because it's not terribly relevant. Pedophiles are common (as they are anywhere) among Rabbi's, Imams, and other denominations preachers. There's just no monolithic magisterium to cover it up for them, and shuffle them off to rural Brazil. And given child abuse statistics, the lack of marriage is more likely to be an issue because they don't have any kids of their own, as opposed to just not getting enough adult vag. There are hookers/tinder/bars for that after all.

Apparently child sexual abuse is also a huge issue within various Hasidic Jewish communities, and they are just as keen to cover them up. It's really disgusting to think about how many people are pedophiles who just don't feel "safe enough" to commit an unspeakable crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I don't think I've heard the term 'sex pervert' used unironically before.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Media organizations are getting closer and closer to an international understanding of where the money goes and who's really in charge. And it can't come fast enough because the damage they can do abroad when they think nobody's watching is horrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEMkvmhyu9U

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Is there any way to push back against the Lively route of going to places like Uganda and passing bathroom bills?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

ILGA just released their 2016 Global Attitudes Survey which got about 96,000 respondents, and their 2016 report on state sponsored homophobia (warning, 195 pages).

First one is interesting for some surprising global attitudes, though there are some limitations on the methodology since it targets PC users and they're probably likely to be more educated and wealthy. Second one I haven't had the chance to go through since it's huge.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Is there any way to push back against the Lively route of going to places like Uganda and passing bathroom bills?
You might need to recalibrate. He was getting an execute homosexuals bill passed. (the passed version was life in prison, not death, and the whole law was later overturned)

Lively is being sued under the Alien Tort Claims Act for his part in persecution of LGBLTI people in Uganda.
http://ccrjustice.org/home/what-we-do/our-cases/sexual-minorities-uganda-v-scott-lively

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 17, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

You might need to recalibrate. He was getting an execute homosexuals bill (since overturned) passed.

Lively is being sued under the Alien Tort Claims Act for his part in persecution of LGBLTI people in Uganda.
http://ccrjustice.org/home/what-we-do/our-cases/sexual-minorities-uganda-v-scott-lively

And the courts have rejected the defenses' attempts to dismiss twice. This is going to be a very bad case for Lively.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

One issue at the center of North Carolina's so-called bathroom bill controversy is safety, but who's at risk? Depends on whom you ask.

Ah, good old NPR.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And the courts have rejected the defenses' attempts to dismiss twice. This is going to be a very bad case for Lively.

Lively lost his "even looking at SMUG's accusations in the best possible light for them, they've got nothing" motion. The (small 'c') conservative thing to do was to let the case proceed and make sure a better record for the inevitable appeal gets developed, which is what the judge did.
Lively then lost his "buuuut I really reeeeeeally didn't like the judge's ruuuuling!" motion. (As he should have)

The case will be very bad for Lively in the sense that the trial will reveal him to be a nasty bit of work.

(Liberty Counsel is defending Lively, by the way)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Lively makes me wish I was still christian so I could look forward to the day he had to answer to the god he claims to worship

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

You could be a Universalist and think of all the people he would be 'stuck' sharing heaven with.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

joat mon posted:

You could be a Universalist and think of all the people he would be 'stuck' sharing heaven with.

I believe in reincarnation now, so I just think about all the karmic debt he will be paying off next time around.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

I love that they were trying to make it sound like "trans people fear for their lives in bathrooms" was some big new revelation.

Makes me think of that Chapelle Show sketch where the white dude reads Jet on the toilet and says "Hmmm...Apparently the police are beating up colored people like hotcakes!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hermetic posted:

I love that they were trying to make it sound like "trans people fear for their lives in bathrooms" was some big new revelation.

Makes me think of that Chapelle Show sketch where the white dude reads Jet on the toilet and says "Hmmm...Apparently the police are beating up colored people like hotcakes!"

For a great many people the idea of your gender being different than your sex is such a foreign concept that I would hazard to call it almost alien. So yeah folks need to be lead through the absolute basics.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hermetic posted:

for a lot of people it is a big new revelation, like the point of that joke you mentioned was that white people just don't think about how black people are treated bc of being sheltered from it

now if you wanna argue NPR's audience specifically wouldn't have regarded it as new, that's fine, but i kinda think it is a point worth noting

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

For a great many people the idea of your gender being different than your sex is such a foreign concept that I would hazard to call it almost alien. So yeah folks need to be lead through the absolute basics.

mandatory lesbian posted:

for a lot of people it is a big new revelation, like the point of that joke you mentioned was that white people just don't think about how black people are treated bc of being sheltered from it

now if you wanna argue NPR's audience specifically wouldn't have regarded it as new, that's fine, but i kinda think it is a point worth noting

That was, uh, kinda the exact comparison I was making. It IS a big revelation to them, but it kinda shouldn't be. The joke in both cases is that if they had a modicum of social awareness, or ever talked to anyone other than pasty white het-cis suburbanites, these things would be obvious as gently caress.

I mean, I'm dumb as a loving post and I still had the whole "gender is separate from sex" and "trans people are real, and society makes their lives lovely" thing under my belt, like a decade ago.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/and-then-they-came-for-tr_b_9258678.html

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

How can they have so much hatred?

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Aleph Null posted:

How can they have so much hatred?

They don't hate us, it's just their beliefs of how we should be treated... according to what I'm told by a co-worker every day in NC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AlexJade posted:

They don't hate us, it's just their beliefs of how we should be treated... according to what I'm told by a co-worker every day in NC.

May not actually be inaccurate, it's quite possible that it isn't motivated by burning seething "I want to murder you" hatred and simply absolute absence of empathy, combined with a hefty dose of paternalistic moralizing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Their religion taught them that they're saving people from satan. It doesn't make it ok but it's sad how their moral compass has been so hosed up.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AlexJade posted:

They wouldn't be Baptists if they didn't have someone to subjugate. It's why they exist in the first place.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

May not actually be inaccurate, it's quite possible that it isn't motivated by burning seething "I want to murder you" hatred and simply absolute absence of empathy, combined with a hefty dose of paternalistic moralizing.

Not overly comforting considering that previous thing has been built up to by means of the latter thing throughout history. You're already seeing it with angry people assaulting and going after trans/percieved trans people because of this "moralistic" law and its broader effects on the nation

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013
"If only we treat these trans people horribly enough, they'll stop being trans. Wait, over half of trans kids try to kill themselves? Probably not related."

Seriously, are there any examples of these people being confronted with the knowledge that what they do heavily contributes to suicide rates among trans youth? Maybe any good articles on the subject? I imagine it's a lot easier to play the "we're just trying to HELP them" card when the trans people in question are still alive to harass. I want to know if they look even slightly uncomfortable or if they just shrug it off as not their fault.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SwingShift posted:

"If only we treat these trans people horribly enough, they'll stop being trans. Wait, over half of trans kids try to kill themselves? Probably not related."

Seriously, are there any examples of these people being confronted with the knowledge that what they do heavily contributes to suicide rates among trans youth? Maybe any good articles on the subject? I imagine it's a lot easier to play the "we're just trying to HELP them" card when the trans people in question are still alive to harass. I want to know if they look even slightly uncomfortable or if they just shrug it off as not their fault.
"See, it's dangerous to be trans! Trans people should be forced to become normal again so they won't kill themselves!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not overly comforting considering that previous thing has been built up to by means of the latter thing throughout history. You're already seeing it with angry people assaulting and going after trans/percieved trans people because of this "moralistic" law and its broader effects on the nation

It's not supposed to be comforting, if anything it should be more disturbing, it's just perhaps easier to understand than people walking about absolutely furious about LGBT people 24/7. Less hatred and more just complete alienation, not viewing other people as really being people. I would suggest that they probably aren't very concerned about the consequences of their actions because they aren't doing it because they care about the effects, they're doing it because it makes sense in their head and they aren't thinking about it any further than that, because evidence-based beliefs would require them to care about other people.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SwingShift posted:

You see it in the freep and right wing media threads alot: they think the high suicide rates and depression are inherent in going against your "natural" gender and they in no way shape or form acknowledge or recognize that the way they're treated by society contributes to it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SwingShift posted:

"Suicide comes from encouraging these people to be the wrong gender, and then they find out they're still empty inside. If we make them stay what they were born as and teach them to turn their sins over to Jesus Christ they wouldn't have killed themselves."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
See also:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we tell people that they can become meaningful by killing themselves then they'll kill themselves all the time to get more and more meaningful and then they will roll around in all their meaning which they are totally capable of experiencing. Logic!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Damnned dead trans kids hogging all the meaning, soon we won't be able to communicate because all meaning will be sucked out of words and be stuck in dead kids. It's the end of the world!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SwingShift posted:

They want trans/gay kids to off themselves or repent and go straight. It's quite literally their goal.

Otherwise, they deserve to die as an affront to the Lord.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Remember that suicide is still a mortal sin in most if not all of their doctrines, so by attempting to do so these kids are proving that they are wicked.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
TERFs somehow manage to be even more loving despicable than bible-thumpers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Forgall posted:

TERFs somehow manage to be even more loving despicable than bible-thumpers.

Whoa now let's not get crazy

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

I understand that mindset. If you're feminist, you're supposed to be a little woke, but these assholes almost get it, then fall right back down into the toilet.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nah, terfs suck because they attack trans people under the guise of being progressive, and that arguably makes them more awful than people you can know and expect to hate you like the right. It's even more insidious because they can then be co-opted by right groups to further their own bigotry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They're still terrible but bible thumper do it under the guise of saving souls so it's a pretty hard choice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Reminder that the first TERFs were people who got real mad when trans people dumped them.

There were feminists who didn't like trans people before that of course, but the TERF movement of people who were actively against them started with a bunch of feminists who got dumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

Reminder that the first TERFs were people who got real mad when trans people dumped them.

There were feminists who didn't like trans people before that of course, but the TERF movement of people who were actively against them started with a bunch of feminists who got dumped.

Wow...They are the strawfeminists the MRAs have been looking for the whole time.

What a shame they're probably too busy agreeing with them to understand that.

• Locked thread