Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ratoslov posted:

Is there a non-profit that wants to lobby these things into non-existence that I could donate to?

https://www.truthwinsout.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

Isn't that situation flatly illegal? I'd think the people running the place could be charged with False Imprisonment.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Isn't that situation flatly illegal? I'd think the people running the place could be charged with False Imprisonment.

Depends on how old the person is. Back in the Tranquility Bay days, kids were literally kidnapped in the middle of the night from their beds and brought to those facilities. The instant they turn 18 they are told they can stay with the program and finish, or quit right there and then. If they quit, they were given a ticket back home and some cab fare. Usually, if you quit, the implication was that your family wouldn't take you back and you'd be totally on your own with $50 to your name.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

They get the same sort of legal loophole as military style discipline camps for troubled teens, and nobody will dare touch them because the Evangelical crowd would political murder you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CommieGIR posted:

They get the same sort of legal loophole as military style discipline camps for troubled teens, and nobody will dare touch them because the Evangelical crowd would political murder you.

I think their clout is on its way out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aleph Null posted:

I think their clout is on its way out.

Not soon enough for their victims.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hollismason posted:

Maybe then it could purchase some drones to drop off care packages or something. Their "therapy" in those camps is usually outdoor labor.

This I could get behind.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

This I could get behind.

Yeah until the camps do a contraband check (which they do constantly) and the kids get extra punishments for it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah but you just do it every day. You don't own the air above something and if it's just stuff like positive msgs it's going to be difficult. What are they going to do make them do more hard labor?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are the crazy torture cult going to do to the children in their care, I loving wonder...

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/741373595306360832

:buddy:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also if anyone wants to read more about those types of camps and some personal experiences with them, the PYF disturbing wiki article thread in PYF has been discussing them for the past however many pages. I posted a personal experience of a friend of mine getting kidnapped for one back in 9th grade (he wasn't gay, it was for being a generic "bad" punk kid and having an insane mother)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

You don't own the air above something
According to the property law interpretation of cuius est solum etc. you do to the extent that it affects your use of the property.
So you can't call a no-fly zone over your house just because you don't like the noise or you're an insane sovereign citizen, but if you argued that the drones were affecting your business, even if it's a repugnant business, you might have a case.
It'd be interesting to see if it applied to general positive messages under the first amendment.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Keeshhound posted:

You don't need gofundme to buy $200 of gasoline and a matchbook.

Somebody doesn't remember his Bradbury.

:thejoke: is that kerosene burns, gasoline explodes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max posted:

Back in the Tranquility Bay days, kids were literally kidnapped in the middle of the night from their beds and brought to those facilities. The instant they turn 18 they are told they can stay with the program and finish, or quit right there and then. If they quit, they were given a ticket back home and some cab fare. Usually, if you quit, the implication was that your family wouldn't take you back and you'd be totally on your own with $50 to your name.

I truly do hope everyone that had a hand in those, the ones now and the ones in the foreseeable future get the express route to hell in the end.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If there is such a thing as divine punishment, I'm pretty sure that people who torture and abuse kids (under any pretence, or none at all) will indeed enjoy priority admittance to it :unsmith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Has anyone seen any news stories about statements ? I would really like to hear this young woman's side of events.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone seen any news stories about statements ? I would really like to hear this young woman's side of events.

If she's back in her controlling religious parents house I wouldn't be expecting any statements other than "I'm ok thanks for the concern though" before they make sure she's out of the public eye again

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
In regards to the pill that would erase transgenderism/gayness whatever. The topic was already discussed and completely solved forever in the hit movie "X-Men The Last Stand™". Please use "X-Men The Last Stand™" for all future reference for any debate and/or discussion centred around a pill that cures people of being different.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Megaspel posted:

In regards to the pill that would erase transgenderism/gayness whatever. The topic was already discussed and completely solved forever in the hit movie "X-Men The Last Stand™". Please use "X-Men The Last Stand™" for all future reference for any debate and/or discussion centred around a pill that cures people of being different.

Its made from a gay kid whose gay power is to turn others straight, and it works but will eventually wear off?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megaspel posted:

All I can think about is that terrible scene when Rogue, the mutant who literally cannot touch another living being or she will drain their life force away, says 'yea you know, may wanna go in on that cure, it'd be pretty awesome to touch another human being once in my life'. Then Storm, the literal queen/goddess from her country with lightning powers that do nothing but make her more of a badass says 'hey, we're perfect as we are'.

Like, I love X-Men but when you get past the absolute most base levels of comparisons the whole 'they're kinda like ANOTHER minority that has to live in the shadows, huh?' kinda goes out the window. Like, I drain my partners souls away through prolonged contact because I'm a terrible human being, not because I'm gay, thank you :colbert:

ed: god drat I love that wordfilter

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

TrueBlood was worse, I mean the vampires were objectively horrible monsters destroying peoples lives.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
X-men started out as an extended metaphor for African-American and civil rights, and trueblood metaphorically sucks. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Fittingly enough the best 'x-men more like THE STRUGGLES OF GAY YOUTH' stuff has actually been around Iceman, mostly because a lot of it was lowkey enough so when he came out there were some genuinely solid articles countering the whole 'oh you just randomly did it for PC poo poo' with some genuinely solid cases. Like, since the old comics he's had issues with 'disappointing' his parents especially his dad, most of his relationships with women are friendly rather than romantic, one of his big romances is with an alien that switches gender around because it's made of like...fog I think?

See, he works just fine because 'ice poo poo' is a cool power that has both ups and downs and all, so it's reasonable for him to be all mutant and proud while still having issues! Using Rogue as the stand in was just kinda hamfisted and terrible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

X-men started out as an extended metaphor for African-American and civil rights, and trueblood metaphorically sucks. :colbert:

the mutants can be both gay and black

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If we're going to fix lgbt issues with a magic pill that changes your personality, how about a pill that makes straight people stop caring about whether anyone else is gay or trans.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VitalSigns posted:

If we're going to fix lgbt issues with a magic pill that changes your personality, how about a pill that makes straight people stop caring about whether anyone else is gay or trans.

There's no money in it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So, I know I'm not a thread regular or anything, and I don't want to impede or interrupt, but uh, a cool thing happened.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-bob-poe-hiv-positive-florida-elections-20160609-story.html

Summary: Openly gay, officially married Democratic candidate for Congress, Bob Poe, in Florida just revealed he has HIV-AIDs, and wants to use his position to campaign for awareness on the subject. He is currently in a relatively thick field of competitors, but at least one of his opponents also publicly expressed support for his saying he has the disease.

I don't know what you guys think but I figured I'd share since I saw the headline on Facebook. I read most of the thread and didn't see this mentioned at all, so my bad if this wasn't actually news.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I'm always kinda conflicted about the dude who used to run Exodus...Like, I'm glad he denounced conversion therapy and came out and all...But he still basically spent decades as a modern day Amon Goeth. I don't see why a fucker who ran literal torture camps gets to run around free just because he says he totally feels bad about it now.

"Gosh guys, I thought that Jews were behind the German defeat in WWI, and I did what I could to solve the problem, but I realize that I was wrong now, and I denounce the Nazi party. I'm such a good person, right? :shobon:"

Dude should spend his new out loud and proud life in solitary confinement, as far as I'm concerned. With an hour exercise a day because he's such a good person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So uh, speaking of the pray the gay away camp...has anyone actually looked into Heartlight Ministries? The literal only mention of them being 'pray the gay away' is in this recent story, its main services seem to be rehab, like actual drug rehab and poo poo. There's literally zero record of anyone talking about them being gay conversion until 3 days ago unless I'm really missing something? The most I can see is their founder has made some silly 'we should love gay people but it's totes a choice guys and it's trendy to be gay now anyway' kinda statements which sucks but I'm not seeing, say, Exodus poo poo.

They even make it super clear they don't actually require church attendance or anything. I know no poo poo they can be lying but you'd think a gay cure place would, ya know, advertise 'yea we fix those poor confused babies' like everyone else does

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Actually, basically all of those "juvenile rehab" places are just as creepy and should largely be burnt to the ground, even if not degayification is an advertised service.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
At best they're places where you send your kids after you realize you never wanted kids, basically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That seems like a weird brush to tar the literal concept of rehab for people under 18 with. I've had friends who went to 'juvenile rehab' places for stuff like 'I'm 14 and addicted to pills, my parents think it'd be cool if I didn't OD before I was even an adult' stuff. There's...actually a pretty huge gap between the two concepts! I'm not saying there's zero way there's anything wrong with anything these dudes do but either they were the most stealth gay conversion camp of the lot of them or there's some other factors involved.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mass shooting at Orlando gay club Pulse, possible hostage situation feared. Ongoing situation so reports are sketchy.

According to their facebook it was Latin Night. I just hope everyone gets out ok without further loss of life.

https://www.facebook.com/pulseorlando/?ref=br_rs

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sharkie posted:

Mass shooting at Orlando gay club Pulse, possible hostage situation feared. Ongoing situation so reports are sketchy.

According to their facebook it was Latin Night. I just hope everyone gets out ok without further loss of life.

According to the guardian: "One man who claimed he was inside the club said people were “screaming that people are dead”. “They are just pulling people out in stretchers loading them up,” he said" :smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sharkie posted:

I have really bad feeling about what motivated this.

e: 20 dead, 42 injured, FBI calling it a terror incident. gently caress :(

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 12, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

It'll be just like Planned Parenthood and they'll just be like " Oh it's totally coincidental that they were a evangelical".

:(

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Hollismason posted:

It'll be just like Planned Parenthood and they'll just be like " Oh it's totally coincidental that they were a evangelical".

:(

Local news is reporting his name was Omar Mateen so I don't think "evangelical Christian" is the direction we're going to have to worry about once the spin machine kicks in.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Polaron posted:

Local news is reporting his name was Omar Mateen so I don't think "evangelical Christian" is the direction we're going to have to worry about once the spin machine kicks in.

Honestly, the fact that they were willing to call it terrorism made me suspect the perpetrator was already confirmed to not be a white christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

• Locked thread