Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Yeah, when I was much younger and in denial about being trans, I happened to work around a trans woman who absolutely did not pass. People were goddamn horrific about her behind her back. Lots of people called her it, not just he, and this was the majority commonly expressed opinion. Anyone who was actually not a lovely bigot kept their mouth shut, and I was terrified to speak up because I didn’t want people thinking that I was like her.

I have a goddamn massive chip on my shoulder about people not really respecting my identity still, and because I seem to pass well, I don’t bring this up amongst people unless I know or strongly suspect they are supportive. I work with people who don’t seem to respect Caitlyn Jenner’s pronouns at all, and make casually transphobic remarks on occasion. I just bite my tongue and ignore this as best I can, because I suspect that I would be retaliated against by coworkers, and HR would be useless. So my experience is that most people are default lovely about this, and too disinterested to actually bother caring until it affects them or a loved one.

I have soooo much more “skin in the game” about this than some casually transphobic cis person, and it’s exhausting trying to constantly manage people’s expectations, so I try to just keep my head down. I don’t hate cis people per se, but my experience leads me to not expect much from them the second I start making them uncomfortable bringing this up . So I try to not actively call out their low key bullshit so I can stay sane and employed. If that makes me judgmental in a bad way towards cis people, I give zero fucks. They’ve drat well earned my ire.

Problematic Soup fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I'm so happy for you. For trans people the hate is still right out in the open, everywhere. We get called trannies on the street, people follow us to the bathroom or the car, we get kicked out of changing rooms in department stores, we're murdered at a much higher rate than other groups, our suicide rate is through the roof, and our own government is at the forefront of finding new ways to persecute us.

If you have stuff to say about the gay experience feel free, but Kramering into a conversation about trans people to assert that lifesaving treatments are problematic in your view as a cis gay dude and then telling us about how hate free your life is is real hosed up. Please don't mute other people's challenges and traumas by bragging about how great it is for gays in the year 2017.

^that

Thalantos posted:

The leader of my country just joked about how his second in command wants to genocide queers.
That's not fringe.

Edit: I got called a human being and threatened with violence on the train just a few weeks ago and ain't NOBODY else on that train did a drat thing.

^that

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

FantasticExtrusion posted:

That was my point. It's so ridiculed I am not comfortable accepting the label.

Thus I usually can't share opinions about something that personally effects me. Largely because assumptions about me and my experiences are made based on sexual orientation, gender, and even race.

It's a huge source of anxiety, not having anywhere you can openly share your beliefs without fielding a torrent of personal attacks.

Well, if your beliefs include concern trolling us about gender surgeries, I don’t really give a poo poo.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

• Locked thread