Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Control Volume posted:

I dont think anyone argued against this

Shh this is a post-fact, post-reality society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

American democrats never fail to depress me. :suicide:

The Republicans control both sides of the legislative branch in North Carolina? Misplaced blame much?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

This isn't dnd if you can't rail about how useless Democrats are.

While simultaneously doing jack poo poo about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Well, then it's still a successful political op to make the opponents to their law looks like powerless idiots, all while failing to repeal it themselves.

Pst. Hey buddy? It's okay to admit you were wrong instead of doubling down. Take it from me :buddy:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can we collectively start asking more of "allies" yet?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well at least it isn't self-congratulatory back-patting.

Oh wait.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So when can we start calling out fair-weather allys?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

That would be a oxymoron because Fair Weather is in the definition of LGBT ally.

You mean I can't rely on the basic white girl who thinks she's an ally because she and her gay bestie check out cute boys together and watched Sex and the City? :monocle:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

What' the opposite of fair weather? Because I had an irl ally friend pull the opposite on me. She was so overzealous in her "principled support" that she veered off into accelerationist Trump-land just so she could always be fighting the good fight for us. It was a very frustrating and :psyduck: experience.

:catstare:

Your friend is an idiot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bi people in a gay relationship have gay issues, not bi issues. Sure there is social stigma and other things that bi people may feel, however there isn't a single political issue exclusive to them, and solving the problems on the G and L side of things tend to solve any bi issues.

You're not wrong but you're about to find out why we don't talk about these things.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

Again, the study put out by actual bisexuals into the conditions of Bisexuals doesn't agree, so unless you have better evidence y'all are just talking out of your rear ends .

In what ways does it not agree?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Immigration law says otherwise.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jesus just f*ck already.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

there wolf posted:

Yeah, because we're both equally at fault here. I said something, Fishmech grossly misinterpreted it as usual, and now is whining that I won't defend words they shoved into my mouth.

You want a change of topic, then make one yourself instead of complaining that people are boring you with their bickering.

If only there was a way to exit a circular debate with fishmech 🤔

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

there wolf posted:

I ended it, but I'm real tempted to reengage since you seem so eager to play referee.

:nallears:

Kanine posted:

man, i figured at least people here would be less lovely about bisexuality than most of the queer community. guess i was wrong.

Who exactly is being lovely?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

rkajdi posted:

You're missing that the GOP controlled senate will nuke the filibuster in a second. And beyond that, almost all the protections of the last few years come from executive orders and SCOTUS decisions, the former of which can be instantly removed. And the latter is only safe as long as RBG is still alive. The second she dies and a new justice is appointed the court, I think you'll see serious challenges to LGBT and women's rights.

Willing to :toxx: on the bolded part?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ok they backed off the ethics changes.

Can you suggest that we take kids from their parents for Wrong Think again so we can just see this to it's logical conclusion.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick is holding a TV conference where they intend to announce an HB2 style bill.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/watch_live_now_texas_lt_governor_announces_anti_transgender_bill

it's worked so well everywhere else they've done it so why not! :homebrew:

/s

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Im not sure where you all keep getting swarmed by these hordes of bernie bros for trump. is it facebook? stop reading facebook.

county Democratic Party meeting :cripes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Well you could always do your own study with BRO! A safe space for guys who may not identify as gay or bi to find other guys for sex, friends, dates, and long-term bromances!

An app for internalized homophobia -- neat!0

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

They feel that way because of homophobia. hth

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The common masc4masc attitude of "I'm not one of those kind of gays" is pretty much textbook toxic masculinity and is predicated on the denigration of the feminine. They may not have explicitly said it, but any discussion of self-loathing or failing to identify as gay or bisexual pretty much has to explore the reason why people feel that way.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

It's because progressive writers these days live in a privileged ivory tower completely disconnected from most people, so "gay people" to them are what they read in the news, and what they read in the news is that gay marriage passed so homophobia is over, and Milo is a dipshit so gay men are actually the worst. The problem is less people complaining about gay white men, it's that, unconsciously, homosexuals doesn't register as a minority group at all to them anymore. Its similar to the strain of idiocy that surfaced after Obama was elected.

Like, read this guy's profile:
"I am a currently a student at Wesleyan University, where I am majoring in English. I have worked as an editor for the University's official newspaper, the Argus, where I have written about music, film, literature, politics, and culture. You can find me at your local Starbucks, patting myself on the back for a tweet I'll most likely regret in the future."

This dude would turn into a sex-hating conservative after five minutes in a leather bar lmao

poo poo, you see that attitude plenty here on these forums!

Don't point out the privilege bisexuals have, though, that's over the line.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Right but I think it's naive to ignore the intersectional issues within the gay community

Except nobody is doing this, really. The question is why are gay men (and white gay men in particular) the only minority group where the bad behavior of a few individuals is used to blanket and denigrate the rest of the community?

Are Caitlyn Jenner's actions representative of the entire trans community? Does Tila Tequila represent the entire bisexual community? Do Ben Carson or Allen West represent the entirety of the black community? Does Phyllis Schlafly represent all women? Of course not and you would (rightly) be ridiculed if you made that claim. Yet that's what these think piece writers are doing to the gay community.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There have been a whole lot of think pieces written about Lena Dunham.

This happens literally all the time, to virtually every minority group.

Ok, so why is it okay when it happens to gay men?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I took exception to: "The question is why are gay men (and white gay men in particular) the only minority group where the bad behavior of a few individuals is used to blanket and denigrate the rest of the community?"

And to the idea, writ large, that "progressive, ivory tower academics" assume, writ large, that all gay white men are Milo.

I misspoke (typed?) but my point remains roughly aligned Control Volume's that it has some become acceptable for "progressives" to denigrate gay men specifically based on the actions of a few members of the community. This standard is (correctly) not held to other minority groups.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Again, I haven't seen or experienced this so it does not exist.

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You are absolutely privileged when you're in a "traditionally socially acceptable" relationship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Please indicate where I said all bisexuals are in opposite sex relationships because I have this sneaking suspicion that you are purposely putting words in my mouth in a tactic to discredit me.

If you are bisexual and you are in an opposite sex relationship do you or do you not have implied access to heterosexual privilege?

Control Volume posted:

Man this is just one step away from saying people in the closet are privileged.

There is a huge difference between engaging in a relationship with an opposite sex partner out of shame than out of mutual attraction.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 18, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I Killed GBS posted:

N4I often makes the mistaken assumption that he's posting in "G- The fate of fabulous folks in foreign fields."

How am I wrong?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

those bisexuals get all the breaks, why all they have to do is pass as straight is never date someone of the same gender and bury the truth from everyone

It's a good thing I didn't say that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

So much for trying to have discussion about the matter. Everyone just jumps to attacking me for a mistake that i tried to correct before anyone had even seen it.

Well the thread is in Debate and Discussion so you had to have known what would happen if you went against the group consensus. :shrug:

• Locked thread