Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Raymond herself wrote a policy paper arguing that Medicaid/Medicare shouldn't cover transition related procedures and sent it to the Reagan Administration. This paper was used by Reagan as a justification to drop the coverage for Trans-related medical services, and most if not all insurance companies followed suit after that, and it wasn't until fairly recently that trans coverage has been reinstated by insurance providers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Obviously this is probably different in a country with an actual Universal Health Care system, but I know in the US there was some concern within the trans community that removing the diagnosis could lead to insurance companies dropping trans-related coverage because it was no longer considered a disorder to be treated. So I can understand those concerns.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

So what does a trans person in North Carolina do if they haven't had GRS but they have had their documents updated, including their birth certificate?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

There are people even within the LGB community who are lovely on trans issues, so it wouldn't be surprising to find similar in their allies.

Hell, there are people within the LG community who aren't that great on bi issues, although much less than before.

But yeah, trans issues are often the first to be thrown under the bus by sexual-minority groups, like Stonewall with their "we started as a gay and lesbian rights group, should we really be representing hetero trans people?" poo poo a few years back (and giving an award to noted TERF and Jack the Ripper fan Julie Bindel).

Were they aware of the irony in naming themselves after a riot started by trans women?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Quorum posted:

Happy coming out day, folks. I'm a flaming homosexual, and so can you! :gay:

i'm such a lesbian that everybody at the local u-haul dealership knows me as soon as i walk in

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

x-post from USPOL:

Supreme Court to Rule in Transgender Access Case

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday entered the intense national debate over transgender rights, announcing that it would decide whether a transgender boy may use the boys’ bathroom in a Virginia high school.

The legal question in the case is whether the Obama administration was entitled to interpret a regulation under Title IX, a 1972 law that bans discrimination “on the basis of sex” in schools that receive federal money, as banning discrimination based on gender identity.

Last year, the federal Department of Education said schools “generally must treat transgender students consistent with their gender identity.” In May, the department issued a more general directive that said schools may lose federal money if they discriminate against transgender students.

The case before the Supreme Court concerns Gavin Grimm, who was designated female at birth but identifies as a male. He attends Gloucester High School in southeastern Virginia.

For a time, school administrators allowed Mr. Grimm to use the boys’ bathroom, but the local school board later adopted a policy that required students to use the bathrooms and locker rooms for their “corresponding biological genders.” The board added that “students with gender identity issues” would be allowed to use private bathrooms.

Keep in mind, the lower district court ruled in favor of the Trans student, so if the Supreme Court goes 4-4, it'll affirm to the Lower Court's decision, which was in the trans student's favor.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Kind of wonder if the Supreme Court will over reach on that one just a teensy bit and possibly open the door for persons who are transgender being a protected class possibly.

I do think that there's groundwork for a decision like that with PricewaterHouse v. Hopkins and the more recent EEOC decision in Macy v. Holder, so they could easily say that PricewaterHouse's "sex stereotypes" applies to transgender people.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I'm more worried about the trans bathroom case that's sitting in the court docket right now.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Eimi posted:

I'm a transgender woman living near Kansas city on the Kansas side. I've been very frightened the last few days to the point of my depression flaring up pretty bad. I've never been involved with the community much for various reasons, most related to said depression.

So I have no real idea on what I need to do NOW. My driver's license has the correct gender but I haven't had/plan to have SRS, so I can't change my birth certificate in my birth state and can't change it here. I don't have a passport and while my social security card has the right name I didn't know they tracked gender.

I'm of two minds, wanting to get the hell out of here and wanting to get involved. Fortunently I pass and when I came out to friends at work they were surprised and since I'm not dating I like to hope my physical security is okay for now.

This job is my first full time job and with the government so I was excited for it even if it is seasonal especially with the projected hiring freeze. Still I was talking with a friend of mine and we both want to move out west where it's more liberal, though I'd try and work out the season as she saves up too. I guess I'm just really still in shock on what's going to happen and would like some guidance on what to do.

Right now, you can get an updated passport with just a doctors note. Make that your priority, since it's likely to get harder to do in a trump administration, but if you do it, it's good for the next 10 years. And an updated passport will let you fix your social security gender marker.

Here are some resources for this btw:
http://www.transequality.org/know-your-rights/passports
http://www.transequality.org/know-your-rights/social-security

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

joat mon posted:

No, Federal constitutional rights > state constitutional rights (unless the state grants greater rights) > city ordinances.

In the Texas example, the state of Texas is basically saying, "Cities, we got this, we'll handle these regulations at the state level." Texas still has to honor federal constitutional rights (and applicable federal statutes) and state constitutional rights and state statutes.

yeah that's how it's meant to work, but let's be real, what the right wants is for States Rights We Like > Everything Else

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Vindicator posted:

It's a power and control thing. Clearly throwing her daughter out of the house didn't get the results she wanted, so she's trying to gently caress with her another way. And hey, look, it's fundie organizations who have no qualms about supporting a clearly abusive parent, yet again.

they circled the wagons around bill gothard and josh duggar when the allegations started coming out about them

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

New York State is considering the Prevention of Emotional Neglect and Childhood Endangerment Act that would ban conversion therapy for minors.

some good progress in new york :toot:

and A+ acronym choice for the bill's name

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah pretty much, she had a dumb victory screen pose of her looking back over her shoulder, but pretty much everyone in this game including dudes has good butts, so people got mad about that view of her butt and then they changed the pose to something better but then bigger idiots got mad about MUH CENSORSHIP!!!1!

Also "hypersexualized" is a bit far and pretty wrong feeling when a lot of other stuff is still struggling to get past all their lady characters wearing boobplate or having inexplicable boob window armor. Meanwhile this is the gay shootlady.

you forgot to show that she wears crocs

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He also isn't going to defend legal challenges and it'll get struck down by the courts.

and as prop 8 proved, random-rear end groups don't have the standing to defend a law on behalf of a state government if that state government decides not to defend that law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Today in mixed messages, Trump is going to continue Obama's EO to protect federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT people.

• Locked thread