Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It was self evident from the moment the Obama administration actually started doing anything with LGBT issues.

Any liberal who sits out or votes third party this election is a traitor to the cause as far as I'm concerned. :commissar:

I kind of feel that they knew they couldn't get away with thsi in his first time but the 2nd time around they're really going all out.

edit:

I hope Lynch runs for office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That Milo guy was at my school DePaul University, apparently he got invited. Anyway protesters shut it down completely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Speaking of Pennsylvania that is where the lawsuit over transgender exclusion in the ADA is occurring right now.

I've brought it up in the last thread ,but again there's a area of intersectional disability rights that deals specifically with persons who are transgender. The ADA does not afford protections to persons who are transgender ,but there is a federal lawsuit in the works right now regarding this because of the antiquated language in the ADA.

http://www.glad.org/current/item/court-hears-argument-on-transgender-exclusion-in-americans-with-disabilitie

Most recent Story

http://www.thelegalintelligencer.com/id=1202757922585/In-Birth-Certificate-Suit-ADAs-Transgender-Rule-Again-at-Issue?slreturn=20160501213215

Sorry for the pay wall.

The case is Blatt v. Cabela’s Retail

I have no read any new updates regarding this but this case is right now probably one of the more important LGBT rights cases going on right now. Simply because depending on what the ruling is there is a chance that the exclusion would be removed.

If that would be the case then you'd see huge benefits to persons who are transgender.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 2, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I feel privileged that I've not encountered the insanity of Milo Yiannopoulos till now. I didn't even know who he was until this whole DePaul thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Here's another link regarding the situation

http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-family-raising-money-to-bail-teen-out-of-7970406.php

It really sucks and is terrible , but I can't also think of the other kids there being forced there by their parents. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Any additional news on the young woman and whether these assholes at Heartland are not just lying about her not being there.

Edit:

Also, does anyone know if there have been any lawsuits against these places when they turn of legal aid and in turn whether they were successful? Like the plaintiff was in them when of age but continues to suffer from problems as a adult?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I wished they'd change it to a Gofundme to hire people to burn that place to the ground.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The stories I am reading is that she is with her parents now. Can't wait for that media shitstorm when she comes out and is like " Yeah, I was sent there because I was gay".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe then it could purchase some drones to drop off care packages or something. Their "therapy" in those camps is usually outdoor labor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah but you just do it every day. You don't own the air above something and if it's just stuff like positive msgs it's going to be difficult. What are they going to do make them do more hard labor?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has anyone seen any news stories about statements ? I would really like to hear this young woman's side of events.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It'll be just like Planned Parenthood and they'll just be like " Oh it's totally coincidental that they were a evangelical".

:(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I know this got lost in the shuffle but has anyone seen any news on the young woman who was in the anti gay camp?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

joat mon posted:

Latest update from the GoFundMe (3 days ago) was that she'd been released.

Yeah I'd read that it was great to hear, but I'm wondering if we'll ever hear from her regarding the whole Heartland place.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The MSM not donating blood thing is almost directly related to Ryan White who was a child who was a hemophiliac who got HIV from a blood transfusion and died of AIDS.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Well, that wasn't quite the direct cause. He was part of the larger cause, which was the sudden realization that it was blood-borne via HIV, and that there had been no screening of donated blood for it. As a result, something like 90% of hemophiliacs in the late 80s and early 90s acquired HIV/AIDS. He was certainly a very prominent face of the issue, though.

Yeah, he isn't the exact cause but his case was what really brought to light that it was a blood borne illness.

I agree with the ban when it happened at that point in time in history ,but today agree with the AMA that it should be lifted.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We already screen blood for HIV.

http://www.cdc.gov/bloodsafety/basics.html

Like it's just kind of dumb at this point because we have methods to detect it. In the 80s and 90s those tests were very prohibitively expensive etc.. especially during the 80s when they didn't really have a test so it was a actual reasonable measure to take.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The tests are also not infallible. Unless you can't find alternative donors it makes sense to avoid using blood that is at elevated risk of being dangerous for the patient receiving it.

There's actually more risk from white males who are not monogamous or people who are intravenous drug users. Several countries have removed the restriction. I agree that testing is neccessary ,but you can make the same arguments for Hep B , A , and C.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Schizotek posted:

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

Serious answer? Iran doesn't have that many cows. While I'm sure the numbers have grown since the 18th century, the comparison of local rulers wealth from that era usually listed sheep and goats in the tens, or hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure I ever saw a rulers cow herd as being listed over a hundred.

That loving sucks. Sorry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I had a bizzaro conversation with my mother the other night who called me about this. First she was like well just don't go out to bars then she was don't drink at bars and then finally it was just like "Well be safe".

I guess that's progress other than her seemingly implying I was going to be raped and murdered if I kept going out to gay bars. Also, my mother has a very in depth knowledge of all homosexual serial killers and how they killed their victims which is kind of disturbing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So this is horrific

http://www.newser.com/story/226790/...r=1735409x84899

quote:

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) — A Kenyan court on Thursday upheld the use of anal examinations to determine a suspect's sexual orientation, dismissing the argument that the procedure amounts to torture and degrading treatment.

There was no violation of rights or the law, Mombasa High Court Judge Mathew Emukule said.

"I find no violation of human dignity, right to privacy and right to freedom of the petitioners," he said.

Two men had sought a court ruling to stop enforced anal examinations and HIV tests of men accused of being gay after they were subjected to the procedures.

The two were arrested in a bar near Ukunda along Kenya's Indian Ocean coast in February 2015 on suspicion of engaging in gay sex, which is a criminal offense in Kenya. They still face the charges and, if convicted, could face 14 years in jail.

In their petition, the men said the anal examinations and HIV and hepatitis B tests they were forced to have amounted to being subjected to torture and degrading treatment.

The judge said the petitioners should have used their lawyers to seek injunction orders to avoid undergoing the tests.

"I sat in court holding my chin in disbelief," said Eric Gitari, the executive director of the Kenyan National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, which has supported the petition. He said the men will appeal.

"It's so painful when we are trying to encourage the gay community to go to court to affirm their rights; the courts are instead affirming violation of their rights," Gitari said.

The court judgment means that someone can be arrested on a rumor that they are gay and subjected to these tests, he said. "Do we want to use the nation's scarce resources on this?"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe their checking for scarification or reflex? I dunno. Like medically yeah you could tell in certain situations, possibly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's a good news site for LGBT news. I mostly read the Advocate , Queerty( don't judge me) and Huffposts Queer Voices.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I'd like to read more international queer news. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There was article about Witch-hunts for gay men in the military it had something to do with Aids hysteria. Going to try to dig it up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Clinton white house was literally the first time in American history we had a white house actively on our side in basically any way. First major (out) gay appointments, major pushes for HIV/AIDS coverage in medical benefits, hell they were even on the 'hey maybe stop bullying gay kids, I bet that's not good for them' train long before everyone else. We literally had people giving impassioned rants about how the clinton white house was the 'most pro-gay administration ever' as a slam on them.

poo poo still sucked, it's like we're an oppressed minority or something, but some non-LGBT dude coming in to be all 'hrm I dunno if you think about it wasn't this just basically separate but equal' is loving bonkers.

Yeah people saying that the Clinton's don't support the LGBT community because of Marriage act and Clinton's continued insistance that she does not support gay marriage til 2013 is kind of what people focus on ,but they really did do a lot of good for the community when Bill was in office.

Reminder Joe Biden voted for DOMA.

People can change their viewpoints and opinions. If they change them for the better then that's even better because someone's mind has been changed.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well it's been a good run of 14 pages.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly, we're only a few years away from being able to create a genetic child of two same sex parents and after that we really I guess won't need straight people? I am unsure what happens then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This made me cry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

hackbunny posted:

More terrible news from the Italian north-east, which make me wish I had never started following national LGBT news

Previously: Treviso, a city in the bigoted north-east that had been under a fascist administration for 19 years (not a figure of speech, actual outspoken fascists), attempted to sabotage their pride parade with a last minute change of route. To make it worse, a local skinhead organization festooned the city in threatening banners and released an indignant statement with terrible grammar, echoed by veiled threats from the former (fascist) mayor. Unknown people posted homophobic, sometimes violent propaganda leaflets, as well. The local newspaper reported on the situation in an - at best - ignorant fashion. A nazi-sympathizing preacher (kicked out of an antisemitic sect that had been, in turn, kicked out of the Catholic church) promised a special mass the day after the parade to placate god (yes it's all real). One of the sponsors (a winery) received a bizarre, incoherent threatening letter: "WE READ ON THE NEWSPAPERS THAT ON JUNE 18TH YOU'LL SIDE WITH THE GAYPRIDE. NO RACISM BUT A SIMPLE OBSERVATION. PECULIAR THINGS ARE ALWAYS ACCUSTOMED TO PECULIARITIES ESPECIALLY FOODSTUFFS. DOUBTS ARISE ABOUT THE MANAGEMENT.........SINCERELY YOURS, THE NORMALS". It reads like it was typed on an Ouija board

Anyway, the parade was held (hooray), structured around a mock religious procession (pictured below), and culminating in a minute of silence for Orlando. A black tie "sobriety show" closed the event

Guy in black was a Closeted Angel (he wears a veil because in Italian we call the closeted "veiled") and was giving out parody holy cards (more on this later); he's wearing a sign that says "Beyond-suspicion looking for out-of-the-loop" (infamous "no homo" codewords found in classifieds)

A loving prayer group was the extent of the opposition they faced - probably because the police chief deployed every single man he could, up to and including the forest rangers

Pictured above: normal people. They were forbidden from carrying signs due to the heightened security risk (you'll see that they did bring signs, so they probably didn't ask for permission beforehand and had to be told by a nice plainclothes agent to keep them rolled up. It seems they represented a well known religious organization from nearby Vicenza)

Sure, one of the organizers was assaulted after the parade, but nothing serious. Whew

And now, the update: neo-nazi organization Christus Rex claims credit for a "sober" pride parade in Treviso, a parade "without any particularly indecent exposure, displays of nudity, sapphic snoggings or worse" (emphasis mine. jfc). They then take offense at a parody holy card circulated at the parade (pictured below), threatening to file a complaint. Finally, they say they find pride parades "unseasonable carnivals" that the recent approval of civil unions has made "even more pointless displays of vices against nature", and that whoever approved the event is an "accomplice to the sinful procession" and should perform an "examination of conscience, if they still have one". I feel like I get stupider with every piece of fascist garbage I read. "Sapphic snoggings", mother of god

The blasphemous holy card:

It reads: "Saint Freegida Protector of the Closet Cases". gently caress it I'm not translating the prayer on the back (it's terrible doggerel). It seems there was a second icon, for a "Saint Liberalino", but I can't find it. In a hilarious twist, this scan, the only I could find, was published by Christus Rex. Thank you fascists for preserving this amusing cultural artifact

Lest you think I throw around words like "fascist" and "neo-nazi" carelessly:
https://twitter.com/matteocastagna3/status/670905282202099712
Matteo Castagna (right), president of Christus Rex, at a conference titled "Terrorism, Isis and Islam: the roots of evil"

In other terrible north-east news: a 16 year old boy in Trieste got a broken nose after a gay-bashing attack. Guy who was with him fled the scene so he called his mother to pick him up. A guy, identifying himself as the attacker's cousin, threatened the boy's mother with death if she called the police. Another guy phoned her while they were at the hospital, and threatened her again. She did, in fact, call the police

Previously in my city, my borough elected a far right president. As his first action, he refused to fly the rainbow flag during pride week, as specified in a council resolution, implying that we should consider the resolution as good as dead now that he controls a majority that's against it

Update: hahaha suck it, the seat of the council is now flying the rainbow flag after a successful appeal presented by Yuri Guaiana, former deputy president of the borough council, of the Radical Party (Italy's lone liberal party, responsible for - among other things - legal abortion and legal divorce; currently, fighting for legal weed and engaged in an ongoing effort of ex-con rehabilitation. Love them). I like to picture incoming president Samuele Piscina, babyfaced yuppie from far right party Northern League, as a blubbering, literally shaking mess at the news. By the way, today I learned that he's a racist shithead who celebrated our independence day (April 25th, the day the fascist regime fell) with his party buddies by ineptly (and illegally I might add) demolishing the (empty!) shacks of the recently evicted local nomad camp (which of course repopulated not long after because our housing projects are a farce); witness the pathetic escapade (reminder that Piscina is the babyfaced yuppie whose balls probably hadn't even dropped yet)

e: I just read one of his press releases, wow. It starts with "The terrorism SOS has been launched a long time ago, but the disorder of the Padova Street melting pot keeps reigning supreme. In these peripheral arteries the blood of victims, guilty and innocent, never stopped flowing. Not just gang fights, even improvised with broken bottles to win territory, but the consequences of these fights: deaths by drugs, alcohol, prostitution or desperation". Gee Piscina, you make it sound like I must be tough as gently caress to live in such a dangerous area (I'm not and it isn't). So what do you propo-"contrasting squatters, closing and evicting social centers, elimination of all nomad camps, regular and irregular, within city limits in the span of 1 year" er, what about the gangs though, they sound dang-"Obviously, we will oppose the creation of new mosques according to current regional regulations and we will work to close all irregular centers of worship in the city". I'm honestly surprised at how blatant the non sequitur is, somehow going from terrorism and gang wars to squatters, social centers, nomad camps and mosques, things that are completely unrelated with each other except as scary "others"

Tomorrow: :nyan::siren:THE PRIDE PARADE IS COMING TO TOWN:siren::gifttank:. No threats or security warnings that I know of, and the weather should be decent. It's a huge event with super-high-profile sponsors (among which Microsoft and Google) so I expect it will be smooth sailing

This is amazing and I wish you all the best tomorrow. I really want to see pics of the parade so please post them!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Human Rights campaign has had complaints about DAE before and inclusion in general.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

hackbunny posted:

lol @ me because I apparently am tough as gently caress and I do live in a dangerous area. I got my nose broken in a fight on the goddamn bus, wish I could have done worse to them than macing them in the face and throwing blind haymakers Still not tough, still not a dangerous area. Locked down my Facebook profile so that carrion eaters can't have my photo to put next to an article about the BRUTAL ISLAMIST AGGRESSION ON HONEST ITALIAN 100% CIS MALE ON THE BUS OF THE KASBAH ("kasbah" being the charming nickname this area has been given by the press). If I was worried about my borough re-establishing curfew and nonstop police and military patrols, I probably just provided the perfect casus belli. Babyface McPhotoshop owes me big

The pride parade went fine BTW, but I probably won't write a report tonight (it was safe and clean but interesting political things did happen) because of my stupid swollen arthritic hand, which I really shouldn't punch with

In the meantime, have rainbow Lulu:

Wait you got in a fist fight on a bus to the Pride parade or was that a seperate incident. Also, that dog is awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Paul McHugh is infamous. Johns Hopkins was at one time a leading edge institution in transgender health care. The earliest form of the male-to-female sex reassignment surgery was first documented there. He actively sought to be hired by Johns Hopkins to run their transgender care programs in order to destroy it from the inside. He's had the opinions he does since long before he had anything to do with transgender healthcare. It would be a bit like Tony Perkins taking a job as an auditor for Title IX compliance or something.

He's an rear end in a top hat and anyone who cites him is an rear end in a top hat.

Is there a article on him about this that can be read ? That's insane.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah it's a disturbing precursor to " This is what a real family is" . Italy isn't a super great nation when it comes to LGBT rights.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Early Gay Rights organizations were pretty misogynistic from my understanding anyway

:yikes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've met more than I care to of Marxism as religion. The weirdest was the guy who told me by turning him down I was depriving society or some poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kind of wonder if the Supreme Court will over reach on that one just a teensy bit and possibly open the door for persons who are transgender being a protected class possibly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The court also consider context in some cases , it's like saying we created this law because such and such happened. The court cam be all " Yea that's not good enough".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They don't have a super majority in the Senate so there's a chance that Dems can hold off the worst of it. However, the Department of Justice and Department of Education are most certainly going to reverse their stance on children who are going to be transgender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yea reminder the Vice President passed a religious freedom law and said this

“Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual’s as a ‘discreet and insular minority’ entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.”

That is something said by someone who is one step away from the President.

• Locked thread