Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Any of you.live in a country outside USA and are single

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

And in some cases you may want to consider leaving where you are for a more friendly environment , if I can't get out of the country I'm going to try for a move to maybe Vermont.

It just depends how bad things get , nowhere may be safe though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Within 2 year of now we will have a Federal Religious Freedom bill.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well it's like I told my friend once we're all declared subversives the sex is going to be crazy hot. So hey

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uh why is Judge William Pryor's name being bandied about for SC nominee, anyone hear anything on this

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Minnesota woman sues her daughter, state and non-profit agencies, for transitioning without her consent.

Has this been brought up because it is loving insane.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's what it sounds like to me. That she wants money. Also, legal system is weird when parents sue their underage children.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can we all just lose our minds now?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...viser-has-said/

quote:

Ken Blackwell, tapped last week by President-elect Donald Trump to head domestic policy during the businessman's transition to the White House, has made anti-LGBT statements for years. Among them: Homosexuality is a sin, and gay people, just like petty thieves and fire-setters, can be rehabilitated.

The Ohio politician has long endorsed a controversial mental health practice known as conversion therapy or reparative therapy. The goal is to cure a person of his or her homosexuality, and in the case of transgender people, to reaffirm the gender into which they were born.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Posted what?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eimi posted:

This is an idle thought conjured up by my armchair historians fear that America is now approaching the bloody part of the Roman Republic, but why haven't alt right groups tried to adopt the "manly" homosexuality of the Greeks/Romans? It has a white enough pedigree for the shitheads and it still lets them make fun of women and weaker men. Like if they wanted to split off part of the left, it seems opening up to accepting homosexuality on some level is the obvious target, as the tons of examples of LGBT people who would fit in on the right if they didn't have to vote to protect their rights to exist.

Because you can't really choose to be gay ? It's just how you are .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So when can we start calling out fair-weather allys?

That would be a oxymoron because Fair Weather is in the definition of LGBT ally.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm not saying g LGBT allies haven't contributed to the movement but generally they want the LGBT community to be rather sterile and the way it looks as well.

Like their idea is that the couple from Modern Family or Will from Will and Grace or the myriad etc.. examples. Allies are great but the majority will peace the gently caress out if things don't fit into those preconceived notions

Allies have done tremendous work but the majority are fair weather. It does not cost anyone anything to say I'm supporting LGBT rights.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think the term is Zealous ToTo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Superfriend*

*except when it comes to Drag Kings , Leather Men, Daddies, Dykes, and anything that makes them uncomfortable or if like you could lose your job for being friends with the gays.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm just saying there's us and there is them. That's all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kanine posted:

man, i figured at least people here would be less lovely about bisexuality than most of the queer community. guess i was wrong.

No one's being lovely to bisexuals. The opinion which I think is correct one is that there's not one specific political issue that applies to bi people only which is kind of true.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kanine posted:

People in the thread aren't acknowledging the whole thing about bi/pansexual people being judged for their orientation and how that actually DOES potentially get expressed in violence/harassment and then just shrugging off the actual political goal of having more representation in lgbt education/anti-bullying policies in schools as a potential way to help the problem? That seems kinda lovely to me.

Also bisexual women are the victims of sexual violence at a higher rate than most other demographics, which is something that also seems like a political issue to me.

Again there is not a political issue solely regarding bisexuals that does not also apply to gay people and vice versa.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Apparently a Federal Judge ruled that the ACA's anti-discrimination protections for Transgender people is invalid - because "religious freedom".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/federal-judge-blocks-obamacare-protections-for-transgender-people_us_58685a53e4b0eb586489cd49

Ugh just ugh. Gonna be a long 4 years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The GOP is going to be even worse in 2018. Like shits going to get really bad if the lead up to inauguration is any indicator.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Republicans I don't think be able to get a federal bathroom bill through the votes are just not there , however they should be able to dismantle the LGBT protection s within the department of edu

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I can talk about this from personal experience if anyone's curious.

*pulls up a chair*

"Go on..."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Please don't play oppression Olympics, no one wins that competition.

The Germans did kind of

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Like at least top 3

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't a gender neutral restroom just a restroom.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's been talk on Twitter and other places this may not happen. However, I am not optimistic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I think we're going to actually be in the reverse position of the argument similar to how the State didn't want to defend PROP 8 . Sessions isn't going to allow the DOJ to argue against any new " criminalized homosexual" laws and transgender plaintiff laws etc.. All those protections are going out the window.

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are apparently pretty liberal in their social views so I don't think we're going to get any EO orders that are super detrimental to the LGBT community , but Sessions is going to gently caress the community anyway he can.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

From the DnD picture thread but what is the story behind this?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wow, yeah I had not heard of that person. That's awful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What was the name of the gang of gay men that formed in I think San Francisco to fight back against gay bashing? I know this happened I can't find the name though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah my Google is failing me I know there was a group in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

It's not the Pink Panthers, I know of them.

This group was very " proactive"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So I got a email from our local LGBT center about this :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/20/health-human-services-lgbt-question-seniors-survey

quote:

Senator Patty Murray, a Democrat from Washington, said she was “deeply troubled” by the administration’s plan to stop collecting information on LGBT individuals in the survey.

“There can be no possible justification for this action,” Murray said in a statement. “I have repeatedly urged the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies to include LGBTQ individuals in data collection efforts to help us better understand the challenges they face, and what can be done about it”.

Murray said HHS secretary Tom Price should provide a detailed explanation of why this change was proposed.

Just poo poo like this is going to be constant.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat I was like that can't be real and then it wasn't.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Here's another article about the gay men being rounded up by Washington Post

quote:

The crusading newspaper Novaya Gazeta published a startling article April 1 that reported Mr. Kadyrov’s armed thugs were detaining and executing gay men, with more than 100 men already seized, three of them known to be dead and many others possibly murdered in extrajudicial “honor” killings. A respected human rights expert, Ekaterina Sokiryanskaya, Russia project coordinator for the International Crisis Group, told the New York Times and the Guardian that she had been receiving similar reports.

This is terrifying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What does the executive order actually say.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've posted about this issue a lot but this is really huge news for people who are transgender.

http://www.freedomforallamericans.o...sabilities-act/

quote:

The judge recognized gender dysphoria as a medical condition, and his order details that its specific exclusion from the Americans with Disabilities Act (gender dysphoria is one of about a dozen medical conditions exempted from the ADA) is unfair. This is the first case in which a discrimination claim from a transgender person has been permitted to proceed under ADA claims.

Now, if this is appealed and it does go to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court sides with the plaintiff and rules that people who are transgender may not be discriminated against because they are protected under the ADA. You can expect to see every "bathroom" law or any other law destroyed in court.

Just loving huge news.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 20, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah , your talking about a organization as a whole that for decades not only ignored the community , but enforced laws that jailed individuals in that community. It's kind of lovely.

Also, if laws did in fact change they'd most certainly start throwing us in jail again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yea but what if ... Hot Pants.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The LGBT and Jewish community are forever intertwined together because of one of the greatest atrocities committed by man. It was supporters of the Jewish people who not only helped Jews escape the Nazis but targeted homosexuals as well. We as a community have a shared trauma with the Jewish people. To not recognize that and to say that you can't fly the Jewish Star of David is not only anti semitic , but insulting to the thousands of homosexuals who died alongside the Jewish people in the Holocaust.

It's loving bullshit and absofuckinglutely outrageous that someone using the Jewish Star of David on a Rainbow Flag would be asked to take that down.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 27, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah it's the ultimate semantic legal argument. " The Supreme Court said they could have marriage licenses not any of the benefits of marriage".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Went to Health Clinic and they had this cool display up. Just a lot of political cartoons about Aids and comics dedicated to HIV awareness through out the years

• Locked thread