Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Artificer posted:

The shooter is dead. What do you think we should do?

Vote Trump, clearly.

I've seen some of my activist friends talking about how this is a demonstration of the fact that we were not meant to survive and that we don't belong here. I'm not quite sure what the next step is after abetting in your own otherization and exclusion but I'm sure it's really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Republican rush to embrace The Gays because it gives them an excuse to be islamophobes reminds me of that line of world leaders marching for Charlie Hebdo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

And much like that, they will be abandoned with shocking speed as soon as they do something which disagrees with whatever things they hold dear.

Hopefully all the good gays don't leave and we put out a bunch of islamophobic op-eds.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Too late, we're already getting some incredibly bad op-eds! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/opinion/the-scope-of-the-orlando-carnage.html

quote:

But let’s be clear: This was no more an attack on L.G.B.T. people than the bloodshed at the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris was an attack on satirists.

As Florida Gov. Rick Scott spoke publicly of his heartache on Sunday, I saw complaints on social media about his own lack of support for issues important to L.G.B.T. people. Those complaints have merit.

But this isn’t a moment for identity politics, which could muddle the significance of the carnage. Yes, that carnage exposed the special vulnerability of L.G.B.T. Americans to violent extremists, recommending special levels of security. And there was a frightening coda to it on the opposite coast, in the Los Angeles area, where a man with an arsenal of weapons was arrested en route to gay pride festivities.

But the threat isn’t just to L.G.B.T. Americans, as past acts of terror have shown and as everyone today must recognize. All Americans are under attack, and not because of whom we drink, dance or sleep with, but because of our bedrock belief that we should not be subservient to any one ideology or any one religion. That offends and inflames the zealots of the world.

Jesus Christ.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

This attack on gay people in a gay venue by an attacker claiming allegiance to a group that calls for the brutal execution of gay people isn't the time for identity politics.

They hate us for our freedoms.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Liberal_L33t posted:

That is literally the case this time, though.

Oh good you're here to tell us all Muslims need to be put into camps.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the MSM blood donation ban an administrative rule or an actual law? Can the FDA lift it without waiting on Congress?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hackbunny posted:

drat you guys are so trollable

So, my city, Milan, just elected a new mayor. The centre-left and centre-right candidates were mostly interchangeable with very similar platforms, and no good reason to pick either of the two. A good reason not to pick the centre-right candidate was his coalition, which included two far-right parties (although not the worst far-right parties: the mayoral elections of Rome had that honor) and traditional marriage supporters - and so, good for us that the centre-left candidate won

On the other hand, large cities like Milan are divided into boroughs, with their own council and president. Well mine just elected this tragedy:

He's from secessionist, xenophobic party Lega Nord, and he's all of 26 years old. No idea why he looks (?) photoshopped. His first action as president of the borough council was to refuse to fly the rainbow flag this week, purely as a show of power and disdain (political discourse in Italy now entirely consists of winners sneering at the opposition): flying the rainbow flag during pride week was one of their resolutions, they lost, we won, we will ignore their resolution, we'll vote against it (and we will win), and until we do, we'll refuse to perform this token gesture

When did J. Crew start up a xenophobic party in Italy?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A fun angle on the Olympics: outing closeted athletes for clicks. Bonus clicks if they are from repressive countries!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/the_daily_beast_s_olympics_grindr_stunt_is_dangerous_and_unethical.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why couldn't the democrats use their mind control powers to get republicans to vote for their bill? Useless.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Well, then it's still a successful political op to make the opponents to their law looks like powerless idiots, all while failing to repeal it themselves.

How do you propose that the opponents repeal a law when they aren't a majority in either chamber of the legislature

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So is Cooper capable of striking down HB2 or not?

He's just the governor. He could stop enforcing it but he can't repeal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The repeal of that ordinance didn't actually change anything, right? It was made non-enforceable by HB2.

• Locked thread