Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Which is what I have a problem with. The NYPD can march in a pride parade with my approval when it's holding a giant banner that reads "We're sorry we made you beat the poo poo out of us at Stonewall", and pails of garbage are passed out beforehand for the audience to throw at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I spent years working with dozens of folks who were/are cops.

Not all police officers are bastards; just the majority of them.

If cops don't want me to have this opinion, then maybe they should stop being assholes?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Atlanta does pride in. ...Sept or Oct, I forget, but that's to make sure the entire parade doesn't drop dead from heat stroke.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

there wolf posted:

Also something to do with drought in the park.

Same related topic, I mean, it is hot as balls out right now, I'm drenched in sweat from just standing outside for a few minutes.

Actual physical exertion? Lol, nope.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Thalantos posted:

Same related topic, I mean, it is hot as balls out right now, I'm drenched in sweat from just standing outside for a few minutes.

Actual physical exertion? Lol, nope.

I asked a close acquaintance of mine whose on Atlanta pride committee, she said they moved it to October because it's just too hot right now, and attendance slipped in the past

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Senju Kannon posted:

i personally can't bring myself to muster up much outrage over not being allowed to serve in america's military

like "oh no i can't take part in a racist imperialist machine designed to promote american corporate interests, how dare." wake me up when he finally manages to repeal the healthcare law

Yeah, I was trying to reenlist, this was my one chance to actually have a semi decent standard of living and to get my surgery.

Go gently caress yourself.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is it really worth potentially having to murder poor people by orders to do that.

Hmm.....let's see.....I actually withheld shooting folks that I could have in the ROE because I'm not a bloodthirsty savage. The one time I almost accidentally shot a civilian family because my superior was an idiot, I almost killed myself, I still feel suicidal about it sometimes.

gently caress you, too.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Bu- bu- bu- but he held a pride flag!

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah, that person doesn't hang out in any of the Troon threads or what have you.

Come hang out with us!

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

OHhhhhhhhh....I missed all of that bullshit.

God dammit, why is it so hard to find trans spaces online that don’t fall apart because of bullshit like this or get flooded by anti trans trolls. :(

Because we can't have nice things?

On a somewhat serious note, hormones causing emotional upsets/gender dysphoria stress can lead to comorbidity with other mental conditions which often leads to ineffective interpersonal communications skills, for the first thing, and people are assholes for the second

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Where doy ou guys hang out?

Ugh, I'm stuck posting from my phone and only use bookmarks, im.not sure what forum it's in. :(

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Okay, if you go to a group of Trans folk and as a cis person start giving your opinion on surrgeries, they're gonna think your a tool, at the very least.

As a Trans person myself, I give zero shits about the opinion of cis folk when it comes to transitioning. And I say this as someone who is iffy myself on whether I'll get surgeries or not (they're expensive, surgery is dangerous, and they're not at the point where I could get the outcome I really want from it anyway, so why bother?)

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Wait were the gayest city in the country?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

After I wrote my dad a letter about my being transgender, he openly wept and worried that the divorce when I was 7 was the cause. He's Southern Baptist. Now that half of the family will have me over and treat me like a normal person but they don't call me by name and they don't call me by any pronoun. We also never, ever talk about LGBT anything and never mention that I am a woman and not a man.
As much as that hurts, I know it could be so much worse.

My therapist says I should stop assuming everyone I meet is a terrible person only pretending to be civil. It's bad for my mental health. She told me that most people are actually quite nice and want to feel helpful. How do you turn that around? How do you look at all the hatred and see the good in people? I'm a cynic. I've lost faith in God and in humanity. I trust no one and see mankind as greedy and selfish at its core, myself included. I say "I don't care what people say behind my back as long as they are kind to my face" but then assume they talk poo poo when I'm not around.
I'm not alone. Definitely not since last November. Where do you find hope in this climate?

Fake edit: as an aside, I lived half my life in the South. My former step-dad told me, when I was a teenager, that'd rather me be gay than in a bi-racial relationship. Racism!
Real edit: my current step-dad says he doesn't understand what I am or even approve of it, but I'm a happier, better person since the transition and that he can approve of without question.

Having spent the first three decades if my life pretending to be a cis man, I agree. Plenty of folks who are nice to your face, but everyone pretty much bursts out laughing\talking poo poo once you leave .

I've seen it happen again and again.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

This might be too e/n but i just flipped my mindset. How would i feel if others accused me of laughing at them behind their back when they had no proof, and I wasn't?

Its not easy and I live in New England, not the South so its a very different environment, but I try and assume the best in people unless proven otherwise, cause it just doesn't seem fair to do any different.

Oh I don't accuse people of it, and they're all random strangers anyway. If someone random accused me of doing that and I hadn't it would just be a ::shrugs:: "no....."

Cishets who don't interact with the community talk poo poo about Trans folks behind their back. At least on metro Atlanta.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't mean openly accuse with a finger point, I mean carrying that suspicion. It affects how you talk to people even when you think it doesn't, you don't open up, seem overly guarded things like that.

I think about how I'd feel if someone clearly didn't trust me even though I didn't do anything and hold no ill will to them. I'd wonder if I did something wrong.

Then cis should stop being assholes?

I wouldn't feel this way if I hadn't spent years seeing it be the majority response.

I know it's mentally unhealthy. Being a minority is mentally unhealthy because society shits on you all the time.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I guess.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Honestly, I just try to remove myself from the culture and only interact with other queers

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

FantasticExtrusion posted:

When I said the spectre of homophobia was a fading ghost, I said fading, not gone. A lot of closed-door examples from people who grew up in a different era and are dying. Some pandering from politicos for a demo grab. Call someone "loving human being" at WalMart in an unironic way and look at what the random sample of eyes say about it.

Nobody's saying hate is not still out there, but it's been pushed to the fringes.

If only the rest of the planet could catch up.

The leader of my country just joked about how his second in command wants to genocide queers.
That's not fringe.

Edit: I got called a human being and threatened with violence on the train just a few weeks ago and ain't NOBODY else on that train did a drat thing.

Dwanyelle fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 17, 2017

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

i need money to live

I work for queer people.

I actually couldn't get a job in the straight world and had started doing SW to pay rent and buy groceries before I got a job.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'm well aware of the objections you've brought up regarding SRS. Every Trans person I know is also aware of them. You'd be an idiot not to be, and they're a reason why I personally feel conflicted about getting surgery.

You came off as condesending, and I've had to deal with "concerned cis" way way way too often to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

If being trans weren't so spit upon, would you ID as trans? Some of your words don't really sound like something a cis person would say, tbh.

Do you not want to be the gender you were assigned at birth ?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah what happens is, something kicks me into gear and it tends to be whatever's most contentious. I never learn.

Now we're kind of at a lot of angles because I just sort of poured all the legos out on the floor like an rear end in a top hat.

That's still what I was saying the spectre of homophobia. Generally people are accepting (again less is more) orientations; not so much nonbinary gender roles. I realize the two are conflated.

I am sorta incorporating new ethos. You can't blame an audience for not understanding you, it was your job as the speaker to be understood. If there is no way to be understood, you need history that establishes trust, or credibility. Or you're just that wrong. I was way too forward with poo poo I feel way too strongly about, and I apologize for that.

I sent you a DM, did you get it?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Surgeries are also dangerous by their very nature. It costs lots of money. You often have complications afterwards.

I get they're better and better over time.

But I don't want a neovagina. I want a cisgender vagina. I want a uterus and ovaries.

Srs is, like pretty much everything transition related, is about making the best of a bad situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I wasn't Kramering, I just wasn't being honest enough and I'm sorry about that. I sort-of came out as trans/non-binary a week ago and got epithets for wearing v-neck shirts in 3 days so I get it. I was wrong. Frankly it was eye-opening and you know, I wasn't about to doubt your anecdotes regardless. gently caress sake people I stopped moderating my gait -entirely- in public and I'm getting stink-eye like I'm wearing a fursuit.

SALT

Shitmas it was nasty. Couldn't tolerate presence of individual who should not own or talk about guns. Somebody told me a childhood friend would have cut his wrists anyway. Lacking confidence the company would do anything I sent in a formal complaint. I tell boss I am going to punch points-guns-at-wife-tells-trans-coworker-who-has-had-guns-pointed-at-them if he shows up and we are alone. I leave rather than assaulting someone, and have an emotional reaction. LOL FIRST EMOTIONAL REACTION IN A YEAR YOU ARE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

I dunno, it got really important to me. Like, how do I feel this way, and how am I okay with that? Are people getting hurt? And it's like, I dunno sis, you do you, people are getting hurt everywhere. poo poo I'm hurting my own self right now. Maybe they do. Maybe the reason it's not a problem for me is that I got hurt in a worse way. My outward identity is a 900-line-long video game script I never STFU about, I wear cotton potato sacks. I pulled the gently caress away from life because I couldn't understand why I just didn't fit anywhere.

Let me get that self-actualization of once-done-right and I'll be doing 2nd-gig wearing bedazzled potato sacks and proud of it. I'll probably never be into stuff that wasn't there for me, but you notice I'm not into any of the stuff I was forced into... either.

I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just pointing out how folks experiences can really differ. Fwiw, I was a pretty oblivious privileged shitbag before I transitioned and bigotry smacked me hard in the face (not literally, thank god)

I'm sorry you're getting crap from folks. It really does legitimately suck. ::hugs::

• Locked thread