Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PT6A posted:

Do they suppose businesses are run by people even dumber than they are?

Well, considering Trump isn't the only idiot CEO....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Keeshhound posted:

I guess I just always assumed it'd be the primary organs first (heart, lungs, etc.), then limbs, and then finally once those had been worked out we'd move on to growing surrogate sex organs.

Tissue engineering actually has more problems with the functionality of stuff than just the structure of it. You can’t just slap together a bunch of heart cells in the right shape and just have a perfect heart. Most of the really successful work I’m aware of has been with cartilage structures like the external part of the ear and such where the only trick really is getting it in the right shape. Sex organs obviously have some functionality issues with making them (erection/arrousal for instance) but it wouldn’t surprise me if those are easier to overcome than getting a created heart to beat right or lungs to breathe correctly.

shadowvine118 posted:

Well, it’s not like there’s only one lab in the world working on this kind of stuff. I’m sure all areas of the body have some sort of research done on them in this field.

Yeah, speaking here as somebody who worked on the heart end of things a while back. As is I’m probably at least slightly out of date even after only a few years.

• Locked thread