Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I'm just some huge gay butthole with objections to reassignment surgery and a strong fear of the scarlet letter associated with not liking the idea generally. I have no objection to the idea of doing it, but the specific tools and methods raise a lot of concerns; and not like weird concerns about due process or anything, just truthfully I think people deserve better, I see them as my peers, and I want to find a way for those people to be comfortable that doesn't involve potentially destructive surgery. Likewise I stand in nobody's way, do whatever with yourself.

It was this, right? This is what you are upset about?

I don't dispute the fact that gender affirming surgery helps transgender individuals. But if someone were to have that forced on them, like, say, a homosexual man in Iran, it would seem pretty horrific. It would taking a cisgender person and forcing them into dysphoria. Someone who had felt threatened by that would have a very different opinion on gender affirming surgery.

Also, what about the fact that society basically requires "the surgery" before they will take you seriously. Like, I can't count how many times people have asked me "have you had the surgery?" like it is just a normal topic of conversation. Why should that matter? If I tell them "No" will they consider me a dirty tranny and not a "real woman". Would it matter if I had had "the surgery"? I hate that I feel the need to have "the surgery" whether I want it or not, just so I can finally fit in. Especially knowing that I will still be excluded when people find out, no matter what work I have done. It will never be enough to make into someone who was born a cisgender woman. I guess that's just dysphoria.
I totally wish there was a magic hospital like the one shown in movies and cartoons where a buff, burly dude walks in, and a petite, leggy chick walks out. That's what non-LGBT people think. Probably even some LGB people. I loving wish.
But even though it doesn't exist, society wants everybody to look like it does. Are you a transwoman with a receding hairline and a beer gut? Nope. You are a really gay man in a dress. Are you a transman with breasts? Lol, no. You are just a butch lesbian.

Also, the genital surgeries aren't that great. You can have your penis inverted into a hole that sort of looks like a vagina, but isn't one and doesn't function like one, and doesn't have ovaries or a uterus. You're gonna have to babysit your neo-vagina because it's not self-cleaning and doesn't have all the mucus membranes. I'm not as familiar with the surgery to create neo-phalluses, but I understand they don't have a way to give a transman the ability to form a natural erection. What you get involves pumps, I think? You end up with something that passes a cursory inspection, but may create more issues than it solves because it will never be perfect or even average.

I think that is what the poster is trying to say, well, one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

Your information is out of date and the idea that confirmation surgery results in a "fake" genital that doesn't work like the real thing is propaganda. Yes, penile inversion is the technique that is used to make a neovagina, but barring horrific complications they're extremely functional. Yes we will always deal with the dysphoria of not having a uterus and being unable to have children, but vaginas and penises form from the same set of tissues in utero and modern surgeons have gotten really good at doing things like using the mucosa from the inside of the glans penis it form the labia minora and forming extremely accurate clitorises and hoods. Although most trans women can't self lubricate, plenty of cis women have that problem too. Neovaginas have full sexual function, again barring catastrophic complications, and many trans women report even increased function compared to pre surgery since dysphoria no longer interferes.

The painting of confirmation surgery as some kind of devils bargain to attain pacification of dysphoria at some sort of nebulous personal expense is dangerous and contributes to the atmosphere of stigma that lets insurance companies refuse coverage to us and the government to refuse treatment to prisoners and soldiers.

I guess the doctor I consulted with just didn't want to get my hopes up? That was just about exactly a year ago.

His after surgery care regimen included douching a few times a week to keep the neo-vagina squeaky clean, no vaginal flora for you. The pictures of his work looked... bad, functional but not aesthetically pleasing. Like he forgot the labiaplasty. To be fair, it's one of the reasons I've gone cold on the whole idea. I've read great things and then this guy tore down all my illusions by laying out the "facts".

This is someone my therapist recommended because other folks have had good results and praised his work (and he's the only surgeon offering GRS within easy driving distance). I can't fly for various reasons.

I also had to have a letter from my therapist, another supplemental therapist, and my endocrinologist all saying I was a good candidate before they'd contact my insurance.

Edit:

Thalantos posted:

But I don't want a neovagina. I want a cisgender vagina. I want a uterus and ovaries.

Srs is, like pretty much everything transition related, is about making the best of a bad situation.

Seeing a baby and realizing "I will never be a mother" was pretty rough the first time it happened to me after I was on hormones. loving hormones. Blessing and curse.
Of course, my wife was like, "I realized I'd never be a mother years ago. Welcome to the club." We did not high five or fist bump. It's not that kind of club.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gnossiennes posted:

Overall, if you're not familiar with a procedure maybe you shouldn't be giving your opinion about it.

True. I will be more careful and thoughtful.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hollismason posted:

Well I am sure surgeries will just get better but also their growing biological material in labs so I figure that's the future of confirmation surgery

Growing penises: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/04/penis-transplants-anthony-atala-interview
Growing vaginas: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26885335

"Expect 3D printing to revolutionise this field as the technology to precisely place both the cells and the scaffolding improves.

So far for cisgender folks only.

Edit: if I didn't think it was 20 years out, I'd wait for this.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Vindicator posted:

Well, that's grim.

I suppose you'd have to hit on some typical anti-trans tactics, like brigading, misrepresentation, and the like. It might be an idea to frame it around someone like Riley J Dennis or Zinnia Jones. They've had history with bigots flooding them with harassment or abuse for what are pretty innocuous comments about dating. It seems relevant to underline the fact that most of their detractors don't even watch their content; the harassment tends to arrive after someone, or a whole bundle of someones, released a disingenuous video that misrepresents their position.

Please help kids understand that sharing everything about yourself online just makes doxxing and harassment easier. You don't even have to do anything wrong; the wrong person just has to notice you and decide you are the target. And if you are trans and not everybody knows or you are getting your feet wet before telling your family and someone outs you, you could end up homeless or worse. I'm just drat glad that the biggest thing on the Internet was Geocities when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I wasn't Kramering, I just wasn't being honest enough and I'm sorry about that. I sort-of came out as trans/non-binary a week ago and got epithets for wearing v-neck shirts in 3 days so I get it. I was wrong. Frankly it was eye-opening and you know, I wasn't about to doubt your anecdotes regardless. gently caress sake people I stopped moderating my gait -entirely- in public and I'm getting stink-eye like I'm wearing a fursuit.

SALT

Shitmas it was nasty. Couldn't tolerate presence of individual who should not own or talk about guns. Somebody told me a childhood friend would have cut his wrists anyway. Lacking confidence the company would do anything I sent in a formal complaint. I tell boss I am going to punch points-guns-at-wife-tells-trans-coworker-who-has-had-guns-pointed-at-them if he shows up and we are alone. I leave rather than assaulting someone, and have an emotional reaction. LOL FIRST EMOTIONAL REACTION IN A YEAR YOU ARE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

I dunno, it got really important to me. Like, how do I feel this way, and how am I okay with that? Are people getting hurt? And it's like, I dunno sis, you do you, people are getting hurt everywhere. poo poo I'm hurting my own self right now. Maybe they do. Maybe the reason it's not a problem for me is that I got hurt in a worse way. My outward identity is a 900-line-long video game script I never STFU about, I wear cotton potato sacks. I pulled the gently caress away from life because I couldn't understand why I just didn't fit anywhere.

Let me get that self-actualization of once-done-right and I'll be doing 2nd-gig wearing bedazzled potato sacks and proud of it. I'll probably never be into stuff that wasn't there for me, but you notice I'm not into any of the stuff I was forced into... either.

I'd like to say "it gets better" but, in this culture, all I can say for certain is "you get stronger."

• Locked thread