Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AriadneThread posted:

Join us this time next week for "no, you are the real racist!"

It's me, I am the most racist racist that ever racisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cis autodrag posted:

im not sure how useful my info is to an advertiser when an insane stalker murders me for being a trans person

Then they'll just start advertising funeral services to your loved ones.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's also kind of lovely that Facebook (god, so many sentences must start that way.) requires you to put in the effort of untagging yourself instead of making people ask for your permission to tag you in the first place.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

The Black Panthers came from a different time. I don't think that armed citizen or police action against LGBT groups would have public support.

I wouldn't be so sure; we've already got states trying to pass laws to protect motorists who try to run down BLM protesters. It doesn't take much inconvenience for the public to turn rabid.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Those laws seem to be roundly rejected by all but the most incurable fascists.

Your optimism is inspiring, but I'm going to keep expecting the worst all the same. It didn't take much for enough people to be willing overlook incurable facism in a presidential candidate, and I really don't expect much better out of the general public on this subject, either.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cis autodrag posted:

come see my cover band Gay Panic! At The Disco next saturday.

Man, if it wasn't for the lovely legal history that really would be a pretty kickass band name. :sigh:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PT6A posted:

Do they suppose businesses are run by people even dumber than they are?

They know this is bullshit, they know that the corps know it's bullshit, but they're banking on the corps having only gone ahead with the boycott for business reasons rather than moral ones, so if they can convince the public that they've backed down without actually backing down, businesses will be free to start operating in NC again, since they view this as "libs and perverts forced businesses to boycott us," rather than "businesses saw us being lovely to their customers and decided to punish us on the logic that they'll make more money if we're not loving over their consumers."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BigRed0427 posted:

Also throw in "36 states in the US currently do not protect LGBT under the law so...shut up".

"And you are lynching negros!"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
7th Circuit court panel unanimously rules to uphold injunction against Wisconsin school's Anti-Trans bathroom policy.

They actually went further and stated that bathroom bills likely violate not only Title IX, but the 14th Amendment as well.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think that part of the issue is that people are reacting to the police in a very visceral way which is being expressed with language that pretty much everyone can recognize as being flagrantly exclusionary, to an extent that I don't think anyone wold disagree that it would be inappropriate if used in regards to a less powerful entity than uniformed police, and that bothers a lot of people. To expand on that idea, it seems like a lot of people who have experienced that kind of attitude being aimed towards them are reacting with the sentiment "I don't want to be a part of a group that treats anyone that way, regardless of whether or not they deserve it."

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CommieGIR posted:

"Sure it could cause harm. It hasn't yet, and its totally not constitutional"

C'mon, that seems like a cop out.

... Yes?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Even with another Trump appointee, SCOTUS probably isn't going to agree with the legal argument that saying "X are allowed to marry" doesn't mean that they're entitled to the benefits of marriage as well.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Well I'm sold.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I can't see this not going to SCOTUS. Does anyone know for sure what Gorsuch's views on the atypically sexual are?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 26, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pollyanna posted:

What do you think?

That he's a hollowed out corporatist shill whose default response is going to be the astonishingly lazy "what does the law as written say?"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Aleph Null posted:

This being D&D, I don't want to just post a bunch of angry crap (which I certainly can and have). So I will ask some questions.

Did anyone believe Trump when he said he was going to be a great friend to LGBT?

Did anyone believe that he felt anything other than indifference for LGBT?

Is anyone surprised that he throws transgender people under the bus to score some political points because his party is revolting?

People who voted for him were shocked that he wanted to go ahead with dumpstering the ACA, so yes, I'm sure the Log Cabin Republicans are completely flabbergasted by this development.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The issue is more a matter of them being obligated to do it by someone most of them detest; the brass is more than happy to discriminate against people they don't like, but they're never happy when the civilian authority tries to micromanage them. What would be more telling is how hard they try to fight the inevitable discrimination lawsuits, or if they make the white house do it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just so we're clear, I'm glad they're doing expirements with 3d printing tissues in such a way that it can help people transition, even if it's not the primary intended use, but I'm honestly surprised we're doing this poo poo so soon.

I guess I just always assumed it'd be the primary organs first (heart, lungs, etc.), then limbs, and then finally once those had been worked out we'd move on to growing surrogate sex organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Apparently I have to start doing it too, and clarify that my position was that I assumed that was where the focus would be. Like, I get that there are a lot of labs focusing on different applications of the technology, I just assumed that vital organs would be the parts that got more attention and research.

• Locked thread