Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I know I'm probably just kneejerking, but... I'm not the only one who wants loving vengeance for this poo poo, right?

e: like, gun laws will put a band-aid on the problem, but they won't cure the societal sickness at the root of things like this. We need Stonewall all over again, times a hundred. We need to make it goddamn clear that we're not going to let ourselves be easy targets.

There is no way to imagine this that does not end with Muslims being assaulted on the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Except nobody is doing this, really. The question is why are gay men (and white gay men in particular) the only minority group where the bad behavior of a few individuals is used to blanket and denigrate the rest of the community?

Are Caitlyn Jenner's actions representative of the entire trans community? Does Tila Tequila represent the entire bisexual community? Do Ben Carson or Allen West represent the entirety of the black community? Does Phyllis Schlafly represent all women? Of course not and you would (rightly) be ridiculed if you made that claim. Yet that's what these think piece writers are doing to the gay community.

Gay white males did not invent the concept of bigoted cherry-picking, no. Every single minority group in the world has had the actions of one individual stereotyped to the group itself, and I'm baffled that this even needs to be stated.

The important follow-up is that this facet of discrimination against gay white males is not somehow discounted because other minority groups share that problem. Bigotry does not have to be particularly unique to be important, and likewise, some of the worst bigotry finds power in how mundane it can become.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

After a certain point I start to worry that slotting the relationships a bisexual has into a solely heterosexual or homosexual context does a disservice to the discrimination they receive on either side of the proverbial coin

• Locked thread