Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

It's sad that we've made so much progress yet these terrible 1950s style entrapment stings seem to be something that just won't go away, even in very liberal areas.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2016/05/long_beach_police_rebuked_for_illegal_anti_gay_stings.html

This is one of those things that just sits under the radar because few people are willing to defend the people involved in this even when the police are using entrapment tactics and deliberately targeting gay men only.

I just like imagining female cops being told to go into men's restrooms and smile and stare at random men. They'd have half the city arrested within a fortnight.

Thank god the judge wasn't completely loving stupid here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Saw that story and spent an hour fantasizing about a midnight drag queen commando raid on the facility. :nyd::ninja::nyd:

What new dystopic hells hidden away inside America will I discover tomorrow? Truly every day in the USA is an adventure. :patriot:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I know I'm probably just kneejerking, but... I'm not the only one who wants loving vengeance for this poo poo, right?

e: like, gun laws will put a band-aid on the problem, but they won't cure the societal sickness at the root of things like this. We need Stonewall all over again, times a hundred. We need to make it goddamn clear that we're not going to let ourselves be easy targets.

If by Stonewall x 1000 you mean massive political protest against homophobia and insane levels of access to incredibly deadly weapons, I'm down. (I also don't personally qualify that as vengeance, but whatever you want to call it.)

If you mean VENGEANCE as in direct, personal violence as revenge, then I sympathize but it's time to sit down and watch an afterschool special about how violence only begets violence. We can do better than adopting the tactics of anyone who consider us their enemy.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

LO-loving-L. Yeah, and all the drag shows were just for the "young people". (I say this seriously, a number of well-known drag queens made Pulse their home, performed there, or had friends in the club and have been deeply impacted by the Orlando shooting.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Megaspel posted:

Didn't Wikileaks recently tweet support for Milo Yadayadayadpolis or something recently? Lost all support from me instantly there.

Yuuuup.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/756206619860561920

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

We have no idea what Trump will do, only what he's said. The important thing is that the Republicans are about to control every branch of government and are eager to rollback all of Obama's policies they can and then begin implementing their insane party platform.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

The vote has been delayed for a bit as furious negotiations have been taking place behind the scenes. Latin America, the US and EU all oppose the resolution but there are indications China and India will be voting in favour. The vote is expected to be extremely tight and could possibly pass, South Africa has surprised a lot of people by supporting the move.

Not good times

WTF is South Africa up to? I know the ANC has slid into the crazytown of the one-party state, but this on top of pulling out of the ICC is bizarre considering they used to be so gung-ho about multilateralism.

(I ask this as a non-expert about South African politics.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

They are trying to maintain their regional political primacy basically,

Much thanks for your insights.

Also the evangelicals finally getting their dream of a religiously segregated school system is a waaaay too plausible nightmare :magical:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Bad news, the probably next French president, François Fillon, isn't exactly LGBT friendly, he's a social conservative, voted against gay marriage, and wants to restrict adoption rights available to same-sex couples.

Don't think he's going to ban same-sex marriage or anything, but there's probably won't be much progess in the next five years.

On the bright side, Fillon is now the favorite because Sarkozy flamed out of Les Républicains' primary; Sarko went so far as to promise to ban gay marriage and then dropped that promise only this January. Now we can just cross our fingers that the far-right FN doesn't get into power (I don't think they will but it's possible my faith is misplaced).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

A blocking amendment to protect the UN expert on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity from suspension was successful (by just 7 votes mind). Turned out reports that South Africa would back the motion were erroneous and a clutch of other nations where convinced to abstain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HoudartUN/status/800745544029126656

A welcome victory for the advancement of LGBTI rights

Thank god, I couldn't bear another backpedal.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. Let me tell you about a little man named President-elect Trump.

Holy poo poo how could I not have seen it

Trump = Frog God = froggies = :france: :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can we collectively start asking more of "allies" yet?

Look the allies are really busy here repealing non-discrimination ordinances so we can get our bathroom privileges back, let's not waste their time with more demands

...sorry, I'm still mad about that, trying to resolve it with not-entirely-accurate humor.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress Indonesia forever

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was confined to Aceh for a while, which is a province with Sharia law and that was bad but it's really depressing to see it expand :sigh:

Indonesia is a loving case study of how discriminatory state violence sets precedents and thus spreads intolerance across a nation. :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Maybe keep this stuff in the appropriate thread. While horrifying, I don't see what this particular hobby horse has to do with LGBT issues beyond just being more ultra-right wing garbage.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but prester jane has literally had 2 threads to drive this one trick pony of theirs. Does it have to be here too?

Nothing against PJ personally but concurring.

EDIT:
Also huzzah to Taiwan for its ruling to legalize gay marriage!

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This WashPo op-ed sums it up for me:

quote:

When offering future invitations, sure. Harvard has a bad habit of inviting buzzy figures to be IOP fellows not because of their sterling commitment to the values the school holds dear but because of prestige or publicity. Establishing an explicit set of principles — one that distinguishes between the Mannings and Spicers of the world — to determine whether someone deserves the designation of fellow is not a bad idea. Neither is laying out exactly what statement Harvard makes when it invites someone to spend time at the Institute of Politics.

But Harvard didn’t do, and still has not done, any of that. And the IOP’s leaders didn’t express any ambivalence up front about Manning’s actions, just as they didn’t about Lewandowski, Spicer or any other undesirable. The biggest difference between Manning and the controversial figures who will remain fellows this fall is that important people objected to Manning’s presence. That seems to prove plenty of other things people say about Harvard.

• Locked thread