Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

only the purest blood is permitted in these veins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Honestly, we're only a few years away from being able to create a genetic child of two same sex parents and after that we really I guess won't need straight people? I am unsure what happens then.

that's when we begin phase two

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

A friend of mine is worried about what brexit means for LGBT protections in the UK. Does anyone have a better idea how much that's tied in with EU regulations vs UK law? As an American, I haven't the faintest idea myself as to whether there's anything to that

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Lol if you think the EU itself have LGBT protections, or that the members of the European Court of Human Rights (which England didn't quit, because it's not part of the EU) can't ignore it. Like Russia, which is a member, or Poland who is still ignoring the court demands that they recognize Homosexuals' basic “rights” like inheritance for married gay couples. Since it's a purely advisory court whose goal is to judge if a country break or not any human rights. There is no EU supreme court forcing anyone to follow its judgement. It also mean that all the gay marriage laws were actually passed by the national parliaments and thank to politicians actually acting and fighting for gay rights. Imagine the state of the gay rights in the US today if the democrats needed to pass them through congress.

Like I said, I'm not really aware of the details in Europe, hence why I asked

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

freeze the gays

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I low-key came out to my boss today and am relieved to say he told me he didn't care about that, what he cares about the work I do and he'd fight like hell for me if it came up. :unsmith:

Shotgun courthouse wedding is go, not what I wanted but here we are.

you could always do the actual fancy ceremony later
i had friends that got legally married a year before they held the actual wedding

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Filthy Haiku posted:

So, serious question, I am a trans-woman living in texas who just started transitioning a year ago, i'm losing my marketplace provided insurance at the end of the year. I haven't started on my name or marker changes. How hosed am I?

i'm supposed to go on my own health insurance during this open enrollment period, now i'm wondering if i should bother

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

tell us more about your campus lgbt group

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

hero complex

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i guess they figure it'll be harder to boycott half the country then one state

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

John Kerry just apologized, on behalf of the State Department, for the Lavender Scare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_scare

recognizing something was wrong and apologizing for it is always cool, but i can't feel like some of the effect is blunted by waiting until you're walking out the door to do so
added bonus of knowing the team coming in would be happy to bring it back if they could

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont understand what you're trying to say with this post, and a lot of other posts but this one is short so hopefully easier to explain

I was going to try and explain, but then I realized I don't understand what they're trying to say either

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

well at least this is gives us a minute to breath but who the gently caress knows whats coming

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/obama-trump-protections-lgbt-workers.html?_r=0

i won't believe it'll last until the day trump leaves office, but i'll take what i loving can

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

let's start a new charity, guns for trans kids.

this is terrible, even as joke

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i was more coming at it from the angle of population known to be prone to suicide + guns being an unfunny combination then some kind of trans child toilet liberation army
i'm not, like, upset, just really put off

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

yeah, i didnt think of that angle but you're right that was kinda lovely. im sorry guys. this is why memes are bad i guess.

can't speak for anyone else, but we're cool

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Join us this time next week for "no, you are the real racist!"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Putting on a condom is a legit more useful life skill than having a pretty signature though.

"Congratulations to my 17-year-old son, he's done such a fine job with the signature on those child support checks!"

but how will he earn the respect of his betters without that sleek cursive penmanship?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

joat mon posted:

Because I'm sure some Muslim somewhere, sometime, had a lovely opinion about LGBT folks, I don't know how much sympathy you'll get, based on the last couple pages.

??????

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

we've had at least two candidates nationwide drop from their races due to death threats, i hope that doesn't happen here too

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

did trump give an actual order or did he just tweet something?
are we considering twitter as a medium for issuing government policy now?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

loving garbage

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

Its a few days ago, but looks like Mattis is stalling the transgender nonsense for now, and leaving current policy in place. So there is that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mattis-transgender-troops-can-stay-until-study-complete_us_59a6aa8ee4b00795c2a2e45c

uh, not really? he's following orders as directed

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

I assume other posters have already heard about the circus-go-round with Manning?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/15/551151607/harvard-withdraws-fellowship-invitation-to-chelsea-manning

Honestly, what a joke of an institution.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

yeah, like, i think it reflects pretty badly on your organization to make a fellowship offer to a prominent political figure only to immediately reverse it when some bigwig objects and pretend like you didn't understand exactly what you were doing by offering it in the first place

i don't really care about whether manning 'deserves' the honor. harvard iop has made it pretty clear by this exchange that it really isn't one regardless, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Thalantos posted:

Honestly, I just try to remove myself from the culture and only interact with other queers

i need money to live

• Locked thread