Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Still don't have gender identity in the Human Rights Act in New Zealand. A Crown Law opinion that said it was covered under sex has been around for a while and resulted in it not be explicitly included, despite not being tested in the courts. That changed in the last few days.

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/31/article_18200.php

quote:

The implication appears to be that statutory authority has been granted to the Crown Law Office opinion in this context, and that transgendered people are protected from employment discrimination under the Employment Relations Act and Human Rights Act, while transitioning at work. Congratulations, Dakota, you are a pioneer for transgender rights in this country and many transpeople will be grateful for your courage and determination in this context. Moreover, if this applies to employment discrimination, it may also apply to accomodation and service provider discrimination as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

metalloid posted:

It's certainly anti-LGBT bigot terribleness. What I mean to ask is how much do bigots around the world pay attention to bigots in america?

New Zealand has one group (Family First) get a lot of ideas from and work with "Family" groups in America. They had some American from Focus on the Family write some crap about trans people last year and had it sent to schools.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

A bit of good news for transgender people in my home country of Denmark. Denmark to declassify being transgender as mental disorder

Though the few that I know, while happy about the intention, are holding off breaking out the champagne until they see, what concrete changes in how they get their medical treatment it involves. Sadly, our current system is still very much stuck in the old ways of suspicion and humiliating scrutiny. Still... one small step in the right direction at least. :toot:

Has it been reported anywhere if this is reclassifying a la the DSM 5 (where the identity itself isn't a disorder, but the distress is), classifying it elsewhere or a complete removal of any diagnosis?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

From what I can gather, the danish system mirrors the WHO system, which apparently called ICD 10 . They will remove the code DF640 (transsexualism) from the list of mental illnesses. So it's the danish version of the WHO's F64.0 code that is being declassified (the danish codes mean exactly the same as WHO's, but are for whatever reason just with an added 'D' and without the point between the second and third number).

The exact definition is

Part of the whole thing is to send a signal to WHO who is evaluating the same question later this year, with the little added bonus that even if the WHO decides against declassifying it, the health minister has said that Denmark will regardless.

"Removal of any diagnosis" is one of the sticking points, and part of why people are holding off until they see the concrete effect. There are concerns that getting access to health care without a diagnosis will make things harder, not easier. I *think* the idea is that the diagnosis will remain, just not be associated with something that requires entry into the psychiatric care system. But nobody really knows at this point.

Yeah figured it wasn't certain yet since I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

I know NZ uses ICD-10AU in hospitals, even though the mental health system (or at least the doctors I dealt with) use the DSM-V.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't really see any legitimate issues that bi people have that are politically solveable.

Do you see any issues for gay people or are bi people in gay relationships somehow immune to those issues?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Vindicator posted:

Uhh, no. Dysphoria does not indicate an impairment of cognitive function. The consequences of not alleviating dysphoria can lead to issues relating to anxiety or depression, but the same could be said of practically any stressors that are left unaddressed. You're conflating the symptoms of untreated dysphoria with the dysphoria itself, and that's no more accurate than arguing that any significant and extended exposure to stressors is, in itself, mental illness.

The diagnostic criteria for gender dysphoria in the DSM5 contains:

quote:

B. The condition is associated with clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Vindicator posted:

Stress, anxiety and depression are potential consequences of unaddressed dysphoria. The excerpt you've provided refers to the diagnosis of patients whose already-existing gender dysphoria has led to the development of co-morbid conditions - thus necessitating a professional diagnosis. A trans person who has either partially or wholly alleviated their gender dysphoria (to whatever degree they feel necessary, whether that's occasional cross-dressing, up to social and/or medical transition), and who is largely unimpacted by social ostracism or prejudice, is highly unlikely to be dealing with such co-morbid factors. A fairly recent study in Pediatrics lends support to this - children who socially transition with family support have mental health outcomes almost in line with control groups, with no elevated rates of depression and marginally elevated rates of anxiety.

That excerpt has nothing to do with co-morbid conditions and I think you are confusing the generic descriptor of gender dysphoria with the clinical diagnosis of gender dysphoria. The DSM5 diagnosis of gender dysphoria treats the distress/impairment as the critical element. If there is no distress/impairment as a result of transition (whether that's social/medical transition or surgery etc) then that person doesn't meet the diagnosis of gender dysphoria anymore. For those who are still experiencing distress/impairment regardless of transition (it may be they haven't got HRT or surgery, or they have but it hasn't resolved the problem entirely) they will still meet the diagnosis. Either of those people can present with or without co-morbid conditions without any impact on the diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

Vindicator posted:

Gender nonconformity is not a mental illness - it is specifically the stressors associated with not addressing one's gender nonconformity that lead to such impairments. To say that being transgender is a mental illness is akin to saying that living in crippling poverty is a mental illness - it fails to address the external factors involved.

No one is saying it is. One of the reasons for replacing gender identity disorder with gender dysphoria was to shift the illness from the identity to the actual distress/impairment.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Vindicator posted:

So you're saying that someone who is distressed enough to have their ability to function in social or occupational areas impaired to a clinically significant degree is NOT dealing with co-morbid issues such as anxiety or depressive disorders?

They might be, but they also might not meet all the diagnostic criteria for those disorders. It also doesn't matter if they are or not.

Vindicator posted:

I mean, you quoted the section labelled B. Are you suggesting that patients that exhibit some or all of the behaviors listed in section A, but not B, don't meet the diagnosis for gender dysphoria?

Yes, they do not meet the diagnostic criteria for clinical gender dysphoria. You have to meet all the sections in the criteria.

Vindicator posted:

The text even makes it clear that clinically significant distress is not a mandatory factor in establishing a positive diagnosis:

You are misinterpreting that. As it notes, gender dysphoria refers to the distress. That distress may accompany the incongruence. Not everyone will experience that distress (and it's exasperated by lack of access to healthcare/treatment). Therefore not everyone who has that incongruence will meet the diagnosis. That doesn't mean they aren't trans or invalidate their identity, it just means they don't meet the diagnosis.

Vindicator posted:

This is textbook pathologization - you have this condition > you are suffering from a mental disorder. That's not the case, and it means every trans person who feels an incongruence with their assigned gender, and who is functioning in their day-to-day lives with no severe distress, is mentally ill.

No it doesn't, because if there is no distress, they don't meet the diagnosis.

Vindicator posted:

Like, the implications of pushing that view are just reinforcing the socio-cultural status-quo surrounding trans experiences. From a purely personal perspective, I'm dealing with gender dysphoria. I'm also living my life, holding down a job etc etc - my dysphoria is not impacting my ability to do those things. I'm not mentally ill. I have been diagnosed as mentally ill, back before my transition when I was dealing with clinical depression as a result of my unwillingness/denial of my trans status. That's a clear delineation for me, where I know I was clinically depressed, and I know now that I'm not. If the implication is that because I'm still in the process of transitioning to alleviate my dysphoria, I am therefore dealing with mental illness, I would dispute that implication.

Again, if you don't have the distress, you don't meet the diagnosis. If you classify dealing with gender dysphoria as having a trans identity then you need to go and read the statement they put out when they changed it from GID. The whole point now is that being trans/having a different gender from what was assigned at birth/gender incongruence is not a disorder. The diagnosis literally revolves around the issues it causes for ones mental health. That is still a mental illness. If you don't have mental health issues caused by your identity, then you don't meet the criteria and are mentally healthy (assuming no other mental health issues).

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Vindicator posted:

I don't think all trans folks suffer from gender dysphoria, and I don't 'classify gender dysphoria as having a trans identity' - that's clearly not my argument.

Sure seems like it is when you start talking about how treating gender dysphoria as a mental illness means all trans people are mentally ill.

Vindicator posted:

The problem is that 'clinically significant distress' rules out a significant proportion of people who are transitioning to alleviate some incongruence with their assigned birth gender. To set the bar at "this individual needs to be impaired to the point where their ability to live/work/socialize etc has been drastically compromised" is setting up some sort of binary state where you either can't function, or you can and therefore you don't have gender dysphoria. There is clearly some middle ground here that isn't being represented, that still requires access to medical intervention, discrimination protections, all that jazz. If the requirement for access to those things is a clinical diagnosis, which is not at all unusual in a lot of jurisdictions, then that's exposing a lot of trans folks to harm. There's a fundamental flaw with the diagnostic criteria if it's going to result in a lot of people being restricted from access to the tools and methods they need to avoid the problem the diagnosis seeks to address. "You have to suffer THIS much to access care" is pretty hosed up.

First of all it's clinically significant distress or impairment so that binary state you talk about doesn't exist. While there are definitely potential issues around what constitutes clinical distress the fact that the DSM recognises that lack of access to medical interventions can cause that level of distress it doesn't seem the bar is set very high. The biggest group who I think would have an issue with the current diagnosis are people who don't seek all the stereotypical medical interventions/have a non-binary identity and get stuck with doctors who decide that it means they aren't trans enough for any treatment at all. Even then that is more a problem with outdated thinking than the diagnosis itself.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Seriously. "It's a mental illness" is the excuse my grandmother used when she told me she will never accept me or acknowledge my identity. Taking away that language takes away a tool for bigots to hide their prejudice behind.

It clearly won't stop bigots because they still use that bullshit excuse even though being trans isn't classified as a mental illness. It also hasn't stopped bigots calling gay people mentally ill.

Vindicator posted:

I'm wondering how many arguments there would have been, telling queers back in 1972 not to worry about their mental illness diagnosis, because there's nothing to be ashamed of when the doctor tells you your brain doesn't work right because you don't conform to heteronormative societal standards. But the problem is that it isn't 'disordered thinking' in the first place.

False equivalence. In that case being gay was the mental illness. Here distress/impairment is. That isn't the same at all.

Vindicator posted:

If this is, as people in this thread have stated, a natural element of the human condition, then why are we tacitly accepting that in order to validate our access treatment, we must self-identify as mentally disordered? Now, look, you can make the argument that gender dysphoria represents divorcing the distress from the nonconformity with assigned gender, but there are steps further that we can advocate for. Why are stress, trauma, anxiety, and depression all fundamentally distinguishable when they are the product of one's gender nonconformity, rather than of other stressors? Why aren't we talking about how we develop treatment pathways that require the informed consent of the patient, rather than gating treatment behind a diagnosis of mental impairment? Isn't it possible that a mental health professional can make a statement to the effect of "Upon consultation with the patient, we have mutually recognized that this treatment will significantly improve the patient's quality of life", without having to add "this patient is mentally ill" in order to justify such a statement?

I think what I'm running up against is the idea that a trans person can't express a conscious choice to alter their body in a manner that conforms more with their personal sense of self, without also being required to show evidence of significant distress/impairment with the physical configuration of their body. Obviously people who have neither exist, and clearly we have people who have both. But what about one or the other? Can't someone experience sufficient distress in order to meet a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, yet not desire surgical transition for any number of reasons? Can't someone not experience that distress and STILL express a desire for surgical transition for any number of reasons? Aren't those all conceivable possibilities? Informed consent as a prerequisite for HRT is definitely more accepted than it has been in the past. Is the concept of an informed consent model for surgical treatments not also justifiable, particularly when the goal is to avoid the patient developing the distress that would validate the treatment after the fact?

My problem with that all is that if your goal is increased access to healthcare then somewhere along the line there has to be a justification to fund treatment for people, or else it doesn't matter that anyone can get treatment since most can't afford treatment. Physical and mental illness have that justification. But a system where anybody can opt in to medical care with no basis for actually requiring it will almost inevitably result in a situation where it isn't funded through insurance/public healthcare.

edit: I totally accept that all of this isn't ideal. I just think there are better things to work on at the moment, like getting the updated ICD to drop GID as well, fighting bathroom bills or (in my country) actually providing adequate treatment under our public healthcare system.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Well ideally my suggestion would be to universalize healthcare and have it include reassignment treatments but obviously the US isn't going to do that.

Medication in general should be used under medical supervision.

OwlFancier posted:

I concur, as long as medical care is privately funded a key priority of any initiative to facilitate access to it must have a pragmatic approach until the problem can be addressed at the source.

Even public systems need the medical justification to fund treatments. It just shifts the problem from insurance companies to the government departments that determine what is funded. It's why New Zealand funds virtually no bottom surgery for trans people, they determined it wasn't a significant enough issue, both in terms of severity and then number of people seeking it, to fund it properly.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Chelsea Manning is getting her sentence commuted.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Tias posted:

Interestingly enough, rural gay men often have sex with their 'buddies' but identify as straight, because being gay is not part of their identity. There was a study on it, though I can't seem to find it again, it was pretty mind blowing.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ve_Sex_With_Men

This one?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

This is good. It isn't the pardon I would have liked to see, but it recognizes that her sentencing was woefully over-reaching to try and make an example for anyone else tempted to leak documents.

Too bad years in solitary as well as untreated gender issues because the military 'didn't know how' to treat them are going to mean she's got a long road to being any kind of productive member of society ever again. Solitary confinement really messes with people.

That's because it is torture. Call it what it is.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Oh, sorry, to be clear, Girl Guides of Canada is still its own thing. Scouts Canada just allows anyone to enroll. My troupe had two girls and my gender-non-specific self in it.

Isn't that normal for non-US western countries? NZ is the same, pretty sure Australia is too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Senju Kannon posted:

If a cop doesn't actively stop people who do bad things, then they aren't a good person. They're an accessory, either during or after the act, and in civilian terms that makes them just as guilty as if they shot the unarmed suspect themselves.

At an Auckland pride parade a couple of years ago some private security fractured a Maori trans women's arm because she was protesting police/corrections being in the parade. Happened right in front of cops, who of course did nothing to stop it.

• Locked thread