Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If we're going to fix lgbt issues with a magic pill that changes your personality, how about a pill that makes straight people stop caring about whether anyone else is gay or trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

The fact that it is literally a life-saving fluid means that protecting the integrity of the blood supply is of paramount importance. And the fact that there needs to be a standardized screening process used for potential blood donors means that even if someone is a special snowflake who is totally a perfectly safe donor but throws a flag on the screening is still not going to be able to donate blood.

The screening should still be based on medical necessity and not stigma, though, and the examples of other countries that have removed the one-year ban and not seen an increase in HIV or hepatitis is a pretty strong indication that it's stigma or at best bureaucratic inertia responsible for its persistence here and not evidence-based medical need.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pull up thread!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-20/istanbul-riot-police-break-up-lgbt-parade-with-tear-gas/7524772

LGBT: Turkish riot police fire tear gas, rubber bullets to break up Trans Pride parade in Istanbul

I met a very sweet Turkish boy in Istanbul a few years ago who recently discovered that she's trans, I haven't heard from her yet but it's rear end early in the morning there now so I hope she's just asleep :(

E: She's fine, didn't try to go to the parade at all thank god.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 20, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gently caress yeah :vuvu:

Fun fact: the Dutch Reformed Church (NGK) (one of the major pillars of support for apartheid) was also a major supporter of the apartheid regime's criminalization of homosexuality. Last fall when I was visiting some family out there, it made front page news that the NGK had just voted to fully recognize gay marriage :3:

E: drat okay I guess I misremembered the newspaper article I read, looking it up now it seems the NGK voted that committed sexual relationships outside of marriage are no longer sinful and that they recognize homosexual married couples as having a nonsinful committed sexual relationship that doesn't impair their standing in the church but is somehow still not equivalent to biblical marriage.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 21, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Paradoxically the old NGK was probably one of the main driving forces behind the adoption of LGBT rights, by combining homophobia with support for apartheid, the two became somewhat entwined in popular thought, so after the first full elections and the new constitution in the mid 90s there was an attitude of "yeah gently caress everything they supported." And so gay rights happened. I think that was the first time in the world that a national constitution protected against sexual orientation discrimination on the same level as race.

Oh it absolutely was. Specifically, Nelson Mandela worked with and got to know people in the gay rights groups who were allied with the ANC when it was an underground illegal organization. Even though there was still conservative opposition to homosexuality in the country, Mandela and the leaders of the ANC didn't abandon them when it came time to write the constitution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

"Matters of life and death are sui generis. If movants truly believe that providing services to LGBT citizens forces them to ‘tinker with the machinery of death,’ their animus exceeds anything seen in Romer, Windsor, or the marriage equality cases."

:perfect:

It's great, all of it. The bigots are too stupid to keep their asscrazy hatred for gays out of their briefs, and the court just smacks it down with "welp thanks for proving you're motivated by animus, too bad it's unconstitutional to base a law on that, (see Lawrence, Scalia A dissenting)"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

Cox found that the EEOC’s solution, an employment discrimination lawsuit, is not the “least restrictive means” of furthering nondiscrimination in the workplace. Instead, Cox wrote that the EEOC and Rost should have attempted to work out a compromise—for instance, forcing Stephens to wear gender-neutral clothing at work to mask her transition.

:psyduck:

The least restrictive means of furthering nondiscrimination in the workplace is for employees to quit whining about discriminatory treatment, then there's no problem!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

NBCNews has polling for LGBT voters overwhelmingly supporting Clinton (72%), but I really want to meet the 20% of those polled saying they're supporting Trump. Outside of Thiel and Milo I can't really think of anybody publicly supporting him in that community.

I know one. He's from Dallas (:rolleyes: of course), and he is a huge Trump supporter because he is a massive racist who is tired of quote "ignorant African Americans acting up and getting themselves shot by police". Doesn't help that his husband is a cop. Whenever anyone points out how horrible Trump is going to be for gay rights, he answers "I'm not a single-issue voter."

It's loving weird but living in Texas you meet plenty of super-racist gay people who know what it's like to be pre-judged by rear end in a top hat bigots and treated like poo poo for who they are, yet have no introspection and are completely incapable of analogizing the injustice they experience with the injustice other groups experience :shrug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh good, these threads haven't had a "gently caress you for getting civil rights, I wish only white cis men had rights so you other clods would have to join my revolution" argument in a while.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

As a Marxist, I support Jim Crow because of its potential recruiting benefits among nonwhites.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joat mon posted:

It's SCOTEX, in this case. "Quibbling" over "dumb" "technicalities" is a lot of the practice of law. As such, what's going on in TX is a legitimate, established technique used by everyone, no matter where they fall on the authoritarian/libertarian or right/left axes of the political compass.

I don't think anyone is complaining about lawyers making the best arguments they can formulate on their clients' behalf no matter how hopeless the case as long as it keeps the gravy train coming.

The complaint is that Texas politicians are willing to waste taxpayer money on such a hopeless case for such a despicable cause in the first place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

If you want to pay for it, all you have to do is find a doctor. But this is insurance. People would abuse any system that didn't require proof. Hell, they abuse it now with fake proof.
So, there's your answer. Why? Because of assholes scammers.

Are you claiming people are going to get sex changes for fun just so they can feel like they got one over on an insurance company? :confused:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh living in Texas you meet plenty of other white gay men whose conception of gay rights is "I should be treated equally in America's whites-only men's club ('real' men only)", the criticism has merit. Meanwhile nobody has ever told me I must be a racist because I'm white, ever, so it seems to me the former is a somewhat bigger problem.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well you could always do your own study with BRO! A safe space for guys who may not identify as gay or bi to find other guys for sex, friends, dates, and long-term bromances!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know, maybe I'm overly optimistic but it seems like the Democrats are doing this to back Republicans into a corner.

Republicans want to maintain the public fiction that they're just trying to protect against crime and why no we're not discriminating against trans people here how dare you, while privately keeping the religious fundies voting for them. The fiction is necessary because the broader public doesn't support nutball fundy poo poo.

By acting like the public fiction is true and offering Republicans tougher bathroom crime laws without the anti-trans stuff, Republicans either have to go along with repeal because their alleged concerns are being addressed, or come right out and say that's not good enough we want to punish trans people and lose public support.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

*looks at hugegantic stack of problems facing the LGBT community*

Yes I admit "white men gets undeserved hurt feels when looking at Twitter" is a real and legitimate problem in our community, and I'm going to put it riiiiiiiiiight here where its severity warrants it.

*sticks it two pages from the bottom, right above "If Bigfoot were real he might eat gays sometimes" and "would the Pride flag be more fabulous with 7 colors" and right below "that one problematic Star Trek episode where Riker defied gender norms by dating a straight woman from the Planet of Androgynous Lesbians"*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Putting on a condom is a legit more useful life skill than having a pretty signature though.

"Congratulations to my 17-year-old son, he's done such a fine job with the signature on those child support checks!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It will be hilarious of Title IX ends up establishing federal non-discrimination protections for LGBT people, because (if I'm not misremembering) the women's rights section was added to the CRA by conservatives as a poison pill to try to sink it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Or maybe elect Democrats to the legislature so the governor doesn't have to make deals with shitbag Republican bigots to get even parts of their horrible laws repealed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

So tomorrow is going to win me a bet I was hoping not to: it's the day where every moron conlgbt can finally shut the gently caress up about Trump's rainbow flag.

The gay Trump-voters I know (mostly from Dallas, natch) love Mike Pence and are fine with this because they think only the 'bad' kind of gay people get discriminated against while the good wholesome kind (them) won't have any problem :toot:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't like the war industry or police brutality?

Turns out you were the real bigots all along, gays!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joat mon posted:

They must keep that aspect of their lives that we consider shameful hidden away, as if in a small, dark windowless storage space.

gently caress off you piece of poo poo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

why can't nazis march in the jewish parade

Oh so now you're going to subject everyone to background checks and a Jedi mind probe? Got you there, now you have to invite skinheads and the KKK to make a float, for I have defeated you at the game of logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I generally see opinions like that coming from LGBT people who were raised in a conservative environment, managed to overcome that to accept themselves for who they are, but haven't managed to see through the rest of conservatism for the lying bullshit that it is.

They're able to reject the "all gays are evil child-molesting perverts" rhetoric based on their own personal experience and introspection, but haven't managed to extend that to the wider LGBT community outside their immediate experience, so they still believe in a Gay Agenda to persecute Christians and demonize heterosexuals and cut everyone's dicks off and turn everyone into the straight-hating Christian-bashing caricature that the religious right says all gay people are.

It's common in Texas, newly out gay people who are quick to say "I'm normal, I'm not one of those gays" and share bullshit from fundy websites about gay pride marchers throwing feces on inoffensive Christians just going to church, or the man-hating lesbians in charge of all our public schools forcing all the little boys to sit down to pee for equality and banning the words "he/him" from the classroom, etc. They usually mellow out as they meet more people and learn more about the LGBT community and come to realize that more and more of what they were taught and heard from their conservative family and friends was all bullshit.

But idk, I don't know that poster, I'm just remarking on the similarities between what he wrote and what I've seen in the past from gay people who for a time still believe that LGBT activists are the real bigots and homo/trans-phobia wouldn't exist if they weren't giving all gay people a bad name.

• Locked thread