Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's gonna be another tweet roundup but it'll probably be around midday cause when stuff like this drops its literally impossible to keep track with the number of reactions and everybody hurriedly writing articles.

Having said that this came completely out of the blue cause I don't recall ANYTHING on this leaking after Mattis put his foot down.

Thanks, PPJ. You're doing the lord's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I'm just some huge gay butthole with objections to reassignment surgery and a strong fear of the scarlet letter associated with not liking the idea generally. I have no objection to the idea of doing it, but the specific tools and methods raise a lot of concerns; and not like weird concerns about due process or anything, just truthfully I think people deserve better, I see them as my peers, and I want to find a way for those people to be comfortable that doesn't involve potentially destructive surgery. Likewise I stand in nobody's way, do whatever with yourself.

gently caress off with this poo poo.

First off, there's no one "gender reassignment surgery." Gender affirming surgeries are numerous -- facial surgical options, mastectomy, hysterectomy, all the way down to genital reconstruction (which I'm assuming is what you're getting at).

Two, many trans people don't choose to undergo surgery. This is for a variety of reasons. Choosing to or to not undergo these options doesn't make someone any more or less trans. Being able or unable to undergo them doesn't make someone more or less trans either.

Three, these surgical options can provide a lot of relief to trans people who choose then. Not to all, but for the vast majority who do? Absolutely. Could they be improved? Yeah, of course, and the methods used today do have continual, incremental improvements.

As for adding a tense to transgender (or cisgender as you've mentioned), maybe you should try listening to what people who are a part of that community are telling you and then actually take it to heart. Transgender is not a verb. No one transgenders, because it's an adjective, not a verb.

Overall though, with regards to your posts, I honestly can't tell wtf you're trying to say. It started off as some sort of commentary on discussion issues in the trans community here (I think?), and somehow devolved into your oh-so-brave worrying about trans people's choices in choosing gender affirming surgical options and concern trolling about trans people being out in "uncultured" places.

So, what are you actually trying to say, and does it actually add any value to the trans community?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

I'm not as familiar with the surgery to create neo-phalluses, but I understand they don't have a way to give a transman the ability to form a natural erection. What you get involves pumps, I think? You end up with something that passes a cursory inspection, but may create more issues than it solves because it will never be perfect or even average.

To go along with cis autodrag's post and from a transmasc perspective, I get so tired of hearing these things from people with little familiarity with our options.

Metiodioplasty uses natural erections to get hard. Yes, it's small. But having had the privilege to meet other trans men who have had the procedure done, it's been a very relieving thing for them.

As for phalloplasty, yes, you can get a pump or you can get a malleable rod. They are not perfect, and they are not "natural" erections, but they still provide a massive amount of gender dysphoria relief.

They do not "create more problems than they solve" for most of the trans men I've met. Yes, some of them had complications which needed to be corrected, but none of the men I've talked to were in any way regretful of their decision.

It's not that difficult to find trans men talking about their experiences with phalloplasty or metiodioplasty online, so there is really no excuse for people to continue bad talking these options as much as they do. On top of that, you can't base you perception of phallo or meta based off a cursory Google image search, which I assume is what 99% of cis/non-transmasc people do.

Overall, if you're not familiar with a procedure maybe you shouldn't be giving your opinion about it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Being able to use generated skin/nerves/blood supply without having to use skin grafts from your own body would be an awesome advancement for phallo. Not having to do electro/laser, more control over the type of nerve sensation maybe?, maybe even including the urethral tube to cut down on issues with strictures/fistulas. That would be pretty cool. Sure, it still wouldn't have erectile tissue, but that would still go a long way in improving phallo.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Skin is your largest organ and pretty vital. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread