Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BigRed0427 posted:

So basically Gay marriage now means loving nothing because the Texas Supreme Court are a bunch of ducking cowards.

gently caress this country

The Texas Supreme Court is not capable of overruling the supreme Court, not even in Texas, why would you think this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Senju Kannon posted:

i personally can't bring myself to muster up much outrage over not being allowed to serve in america's military

like "oh no i can't take part in a racist imperialist machine designed to promote american corporate interests, how dare." wake me up when he finally manages to repeal the healthcare law

I agree, and on the same line of reasoning, black people should be forbidden from working for Wall Street

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

While technically correct, I would point out that your argument is of little comfort to a homeless person. For better or worse the military represents one of the few paths many transpersons have out of heinously abusive families/communities. Losing that is a big deal.

An even bigger deal though will the the validation of social stigmas that will result from this. We are now officially 2nd class citizens who cannot even serve our country in the armed forces. This will both be held against us (we are now moochers who are supported by the rest of society) as well as justification for violence (trannies are now weaklings who are unfit to serve). This is a very, very big deal.

Thanks, PJ, you've basically articulated my views on this matter and why even if you are the wokest, most Anti-Imperialist person ever to have Anti-Imperialisted, you should be upset about this.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The coast guard is pretty good folks. I spent a summer a couple of years back working for their historian's office in DC and it was very rewarding work. And the attractive dudes in dress pants that really showed off their butts did not hurt.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

In this case, as in so many before, it's going to prove harder to roll back protections and remove rights than I think the administration fully understands. (I'd say "than Trump understands" but he's basically a senile racist grandpa randomly firing lovely neurons at this point.) Once people serve alongside out trans people, they build ties of empathy and understanding that aren't so easy to sever. I think if the administration wants to hurt trans people they're more than capable of doing it, but their regressive fifties status quo has already taken some damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

That sounds loving fantastic, and I wish our lovely government worked in a similar way.

I mean, in a similar manner our government has found itself struggling to pass the most basic legislation, even the stuff their corporate masters demand on pain of death, and anything they do pass they're likely to be severely punished for next year and onward. So you'd be surprised.

• Locked thread