Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I know I'm probably just kneejerking, but... I'm not the only one who wants loving vengeance for this poo poo, right?

e: like, gun laws will put a band-aid on the problem, but they won't cure the societal sickness at the root of things like this. We need Stonewall all over again, times a hundred. We need to make it goddamn clear that we're not going to let ourselves be easy targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

Vote Trump, clearly.

...er, I think Trump would have serious beef with the suggestion I edited in :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

well he's dead so who are you gonna get vengeance on?

quote:

We need Stonewall all over again, times a hundred.

what do you think I was saying with this sentence, because the intended meaning is "next time anything remotely similar to this happens, we start beating the gently caress out of straight cis people, regardless of race or religion." or poo poo, don't even wait for a next time, do it now.

I'm not buying the radical-Islam explanation, this is just straight-up homophobia at work. and as long as we're viewed as weak by these types, this'll keep happening. so we need to get better at their game than they are.

(again, I'm probably kneejerking. I literally just got out of bed and saw this poo poo. but I'm angry as all hell about it.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

Google, which throws up a rainbow flags and pro-LGBT symbols at any possible chance, is happy to invite rabidly anti-LGBT activists to their events who want gays jailed at best.

http://qz.com/793107/google-is-hosting-kenyas-most-notorious-anti-lgbt-official-ezekiel-mutua-at-a-conference-in-california/
https://twitter.com/masaku_/status/780386886825218049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This just goes to show that no matter how pro-gay a corporation appears in most cases they'll throw that aside if they can make a profit.

Er... that's kinda misrepresenting things, isn't it? It's a conference for policymakers in the field of online safety, and he's the arbiter of what media makes it into Kenya, so his job is directly relevant to it. They're not exactly throwing him a party.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

That's grossly overstating things. Tons of Japanese culture is all about the burly dude as the manly man. Just as there's plenty of American culture where super buff men aren't the ideal.

What is true is that American propaganda liked to accuse all Japanese men of being feminine (when they weren't be accused of basically being wild monkeys) during World War II, but that's hardly a reflection of what the Japanese actually were or wanted. That was just about racism.

I would say there's way more Japanese stuff where effeminate men are badasses than American, and the reaction tends to be way different. For example, when Metal Gear Solid 2 replaced stereotypical manly-man Solid Snake with a blonde beanpole, the Japanese audience was more or less okay with it whereas the American audience was loving enraged.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

stone cold posted:

Is nerd culture in Japan a reflection of society at large? This seems culturally condescending and a mite Orientalist?

I think this would kind of depend on how narrowly you define "nerd culture." In recent years, it's kind of become a catchall for "lowbrow" media. Even then, I was making an apples-to-apples comparison between Japanese nerds and American nerds in a conversation specifically about media portrayals, so I'm not sure if it matters.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My apologies, I should have worded my first post a little more clearly but I'm running on very little sleep.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cis autodrag posted:

when you are well-armed, everywhere is your bathroom.

with this addendum, I agree, but man did it look like you were going in a different direction at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cis autodrag posted:

wait, did you think i was implying we should kill trans kids or something? i was making the standard "<x> wouldn't be a problem for <y> if they were armed". im trans my dude, i want to protect all the adorable trans kids.

It looked like you were advocating trans suicide at first, not for trans people to defend themselves

• Locked thread