Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Too much signal to noise.

1.) Virtue signaling crowd.

2.) Classic no homo bigotry crowd.

3.) Neo-reactionary bigotry crowd. ("Nuance? Hitler!" - no further civility)

4.) Actual transgendered people who "tow the line" of the current sort of... zeitgeist theory about being trans. Resonates / overlaps with 1 & 3. Approved opinions.

5.) Actual transgendered people who have alternative, or otherwise more nuanced ideas about how we should treat transgendered people; or their nature or origin.

It's a powder keg of diversity, lol. Especially considering the kid % on the webbernet.

In practice it ends up being a lot of people talking for each other and frankly I think the opinions of actual transgendered people get drowned out because they are such an extreme minority.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

This is kinda what I am talking about. Barely.

The reason I used poor grammar is that the topic is so monopolized by one group's politically correct opinions that I have rarely been willing to discuss the topic in any capacity with anyone in written, recorded form.

No. Not based on an internet board.

Based on the anecdotal opinions of mental health professionals who work with dozens of cases at a time struggling to keep up in the crippled US mental healthcare scene; who as a result meet a lot of trans people and also occasionally sit in my living room.

It surprised me to hear it is not unusual to meet a trans person whose anxiety is in part thanks to not being allowed to talk about their own issues. Now they have noooobody left to identify with. Or they feel that way because of the current state of affairs.

I'm not talking lgbt-specific communities, I'm talking wherever a person who is coincidentally trans has to find people talking about issues that effect them on common boards like Reddit. I'm not saying they're posing as trans, just defence-forcing a polarized topic to a degree that silences the minority they're supposedly defending.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 17, 2017

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I don't want to give the impression I am ducking out, I kind of came off on the wrong foot and I'm drat tired.

I'm just some huge gay butthole with objections to reassignment surgery and a strong fear of the scarlet letter associated with not liking the idea generally. I have no objection to the idea of doing it, but the specific tools and methods raise a lot of concerns; and not like weird concerns about due process or anything, just truthfully I think people deserve better, I see them as my peers, and I want to find a way for those people to be comfortable that doesn't involve potentially destructive surgery. Likewise I stand in nobody's way, do whatever with yourself.

I think there's a conversation not being had about public acceptance of people whose behavior doesn't fall directly into a gender-genre.

Maybe we've reached the point where acceptance of gay people is there. But I think we're accepted because being gay or bisexual is pretty boring. Gay people were already blending in to a greater or lesser degree. It's normal. Even in bumfuckia, nobody cares. The spectre of homophobia itself is a fading ghost now. (at least in the US)

I don't think transgender people are accepted, not really, I think in cultured, educated, privileged spaces they are. I think elsewhere someone who obviously may be trans gets the kind of tolerance gay people got N years go: don't say anything and maybe we'll heckle you or not and we -probably- wont punch you. Because we don't understand? I guess.

There is not a way I can attempt to talk about this without wasting a full hour and rewriting it three times so I'm gonna shut up about SRS since I don't plan on it. I need to gently caress off unless I'm at least going to be more open about my own personal experiences. The future is weird and I don't consider this anonymous so I'm not totally into that. People have stalked me and spied on me in the past.

I would have written cisgendered too. It just sounds right with no further implications or question, which is how my words do.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 17, 2017

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

When I said the spectre of homophobia was a fading ghost, I said fading, not gone. A lot of closed-door examples from people who grew up in a different era and are dying. Some pandering from politicos for a demo grab. Call someone "loving human being" at WalMart in an unironic way and look at what the random sample of eyes say about it.

Nobody's saying hate is not still out there, but it's been pushed to the fringes.

If only the rest of the planet could catch up.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

cis autodrag posted:

For trans people the hate is still right out in the open, everywhere.

That was my point. It's so ridiculed I am not comfortable accepting the label.

Thus I usually can't share opinions about something that personally effects me. Largely because assumptions about me and my experiences are made based on sexual orientation, gender, and even race.

It's a huge source of anxiety, not having anywhere you can openly share your beliefs without fielding a torrent of personal attacks.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

I literally can't keep track of what I have and haven't said because I am so afraid of your reaction I spend two hours on every post doing and undoing, afraid of hurting someone's feelings.

I had cosmetic surgery twice before the age of twelve. It physically and emotionally scarred me. But it wasn't destructive, so I can't complain.

I don't know which parts you need to hear.

About the day I was dragged out of my apartment by the police who didn't have or apparently need a warrant?

How about the hundreds if not thousands of hours of forced participation in gender-appropriate activities I never would have taken an interest in alone.

And now someone wants to paint me with a wide brush. Now I come screaming over the mountain spitting dip after all these years, finally half-way able to stand on my own:

And I'm too weird, turns out the "spectrum" has banded into islands and either you're in or you're out.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah what happens is, something kicks me into gear and it tends to be whatever's most contentious. I never learn.

Now we're kind of at a lot of angles because I just sort of poured all the legos out on the floor like an rear end in a top hat.

That's still what I was saying the spectre of homophobia. Generally people are accepting (again less is more) orientations; not so much nonbinary gender roles. I realize the two are conflated.

I am sorta incorporating new ethos. You can't blame an audience for not understanding you, it was your job as the speaker to be understood. If there is no way to be understood, you need history that establishes trust, or credibility. Or you're just that wrong. I was way too forward with poo poo I feel way too strongly about, and I apologize for that.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

It isn't fair to look at worst case scenario outliers and places where people are just monsters to each other like Iran.

Basically I think we're hosed up beyond reconciliation (as a whole) and the concept is one symptom of existing in a hosed up system. I'm not saying there isn't a hard genetic flag there, but how it effects you might be different... In a different environment. Sigh, I will stop harping my pointless hypothetical. It's just a daydream.

I mean we ran right through to the finish line without saying it's okay for gay people to get married because it doesn't hurt anybody... It was "it's okay because they were born that way and didn't have a choice" until the last step. Which irritated me every step of the way.

In hindsight, I was generous with my evaluation of progress on that front, too. If you accept somebody in your society for the wrong reasons it just kicks the can down the road to the next time. I expect fundamental changes in the way people think that will never happen on this largely religious, often uneducated rock.

Edit: I don't have DM's on mobile, sorry.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 18, 2017

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Thalantos posted:

The leader of my country just joked about how his second in command wants to genocide queers.
That's not fringe.

Edit: I got called a human being and threatened with violence on the train just a few weeks ago and ain't NOBODY else on that train did a drat thing.

cis autodrag posted:

I'm so happy for you. For trans people the hate is still right out in the open, everywhere. We get called trannies on the street, people follow us to the bathroom or the car, we get kicked out of changing rooms in department stores, we're murdered at a much higher rate than other groups, our suicide rate is through the roof, and our own government is at the forefront of finding new ways to persecute us.

If you have stuff to say about the gay experience feel free, but Kramering into a conversation about trans people to assert that lifesaving treatments are problematic in your view as a cis gay dude and then telling us about how hate free your life is is real hosed up. Please don't mute other people's challenges and traumas by bragging about how great it is for gays in the year 2017.

I wasn't Kramering, I just wasn't being honest enough and I'm sorry about that. I sort-of came out as trans/non-binary a week ago and got epithets for wearing v-neck shirts in 3 days so I get it. I was wrong. Frankly it was eye-opening and you know, I wasn't about to doubt your anecdotes regardless. gently caress sake people I stopped moderating my gait -entirely- in public and I'm getting stink-eye like I'm wearing a fursuit.

SALT

Shitmas it was nasty. Couldn't tolerate presence of individual who should not own or talk about guns. Somebody told me a childhood friend would have cut his wrists anyway. Lacking confidence the company would do anything I sent in a formal complaint. I tell boss I am going to punch points-guns-at-wife-tells-trans-coworker-who-has-had-guns-pointed-at-them if he shows up and we are alone. I leave rather than assaulting someone, and have an emotional reaction. LOL FIRST EMOTIONAL REACTION IN A YEAR YOU ARE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

I dunno, it got really important to me. Like, how do I feel this way, and how am I okay with that? Are people getting hurt? And it's like, I dunno sis, you do you, people are getting hurt everywhere. poo poo I'm hurting my own self right now. Maybe they do. Maybe the reason it's not a problem for me is that I got hurt in a worse way. My outward identity is a 900-line-long video game script I never STFU about, I wear cotton potato sacks. I pulled the gently caress away from life because I couldn't understand why I just didn't fit anywhere.

Let me get that self-actualization of once-done-right and I'll be doing 2nd-gig wearing bedazzled potato sacks and proud of it. I'll probably never be into stuff that wasn't there for me, but you notice I'm not into any of the stuff I was forced into... either.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Being different for pretty much any reason can be exhausting. I mean, social attention is just tiring for everyone at some point I think.

I could vent some more but maybe not.

thx, btw

• Locked thread