Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

TinTower posted:

Civil unions are "upgrade to a marriage or separate", as mixed-sex civil partnerships aren't legal.

There's no requirement for surgery for a British gender recognition certificate, but you do need a doctor's letter stating that the change is anticipated to be permanent.

You also need someone "recognised as practicing in the field of gender dysphoria" to sign you off. This can be kinda stressful because you're likely to have to go through the whole psych gatekeeping thing, where you're going to be judged based on whether you're "trans enough". If you went through an informed consent process in another country (or even through a traditional gatekeeper process in another country where the board decides not to recognise it), it can be expensive and pretty humiliating if you've already been living in your correct gender for several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Apparently a Federal Judge ruled that the ACA's anti-discrimination protections for Transgender people is invalid - because "religious freedom".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/federal-judge-blocks-obamacare-protections-for-transgender-people_us_58685a53e4b0eb586489cd49

Hollismason posted:

Ugh just ugh. Gonna be a long 4 years.

That's the Wichita Falls division venue shopping that the Texas government has been pioneering. The only judge there can be relied on to be hostile to LGBT rights. The Texas government contrived a complaint from a school in that jurisdiction to overturn the Title XI bathroom guidance too. Same judge, same reasoning for decisions.

Yes, it's going to be a very crappy 4 years

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Eimi posted:

That's really good I think. What would changing it to a neutral diagnosis even mean though? Like practically. Like how would it effect seeing a therapist and begining hrt and such?

I believe it was kept in the DSM so that it could be treated as medically necessary care, and covered by insurance. I know that my insurance goes on a lot about medical necessity when it talks about covering trans related healthcare items.

I've been puzzling over this for a while.. The "mentally ill" thing is totally used all the time to minimise our experiences and reinforce us being excluded from discussions about ourselves (because obviously the "not mentally ill" person is better capable of talking about poo poo, even poo poo they have no experience of). But, with that aside, the sequelae of untreated gender dysphoria really does constitute the characteristics of mental illness - clinically significant distress that interferes with the activities of normal life. I was clinically depressed and suicidal before I transitioned. I'm not now.

But I guess that's a really subtle argument that doesn't condense into a nice soundbite and leaves a lot of gaps for political exploitation.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

And the same bunch as last year just filed a bathroom initiative in WA. loving hell, every year I've been here it's just been an endless stream of this poo poo.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...ls-in-bathrooms

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Tatum Girlparts posted:

well yea but gently caress those folk

But yeah, expect to see those made up numbers recycled in anti-trans propaganda, particularly if ballot initiatives get up. They're getting much more explicit about painting us as sex offenders.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

cis autodrag posted:

I'm thinking i might just close my account and open a new one but apparently facebook has ip banned people for doing that in the past.

This is what I did. Nobody banned me, and as a plus I ended up only adding back about a third of my friends list.

Would recommend

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Gorilla Salad posted:

So it looks like Australia is getting marriage equality today.

It’s only passed the Senate, so it won’t be until next week sometime since Turnbull cancelled the House of Reps sitting. But yes, things look positive yay!

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 29, 2017

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Speaking as an American, Australia's loving weird.

As an Australian living in America, everywhere's loving weird in unique and weird ways :)

But it works mostly the same way, two houses of Parliament/Congress, law has to be passed in both houses. The difference is that the sitting schedule can be changed by the government, and has been because the government has lost its majority in the house until a by-election (special election)

Best outcome is that this can be law by Dec 8 - which is woo!

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 29, 2017

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now here's where a quirk of the Australian constitution comes into play. If one quarter of senators say parliament will sit, then it sits. No matter what the government says, no matter if they suspend parliament (which they did), no matter if they lock the doors to the chamber (which they did), if one in four senators decides to hold parliament then they can do so wherever the hell they please.

Sadly, this only applies to the lower house, not the upper. This means legislation can be brought forward and voted on, but no passed into law.

I did not know this - thanks for the clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

also isn't the Governor General a generally ceremonial appointment by Queen Elizabeth, May She Reign A Thousand Years?

They're a generally ceremonial appointment by the Queen on advice from the Prime Minister - which is always accepted. They have to sign all legislation in the same way that the President does, except Royal Assent is never withheld in practice.

They do have one major power, in that they decide who can form government. Unlike the US, the executive is appointed from parliamentarians (so in practice, parliamentarians of the party that has control of the lower house). So, the decision as to whether a particular party has control (or confidence) of the lower house is decided by the GG. If they decide that the government party has lost control of the house, they can invite the leader of the other party (or any parliamentarian technically) to demonstrate that they can command confidence (defined by a vote on the floor of the lower house).

If nobody can, it ends up going to a new election. This power does become relevant in hung parliaments where coalitions can't be formed, and where a party loses half a dozen members through silly stuff like not making sure their candidates weren't dual-citizens *cough*

anyway ... enough auspol derail from me :)

• Locked thread