Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Actual foreign fields news for this weirdly American centric thread:
Same sex union (not "marriage") are now legal in Italy. They went for a special "concubinage" status for both hetero&gay couples. It covers hospital and i think "some" heritage rights, allows one member to take the name of the other. If it's anything like the French Pacs in ten years 90% of the people getting one will be heterosexuals.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TinTower posted:

The Catholic Church calls Italy's civil unions law "creeping fascism".

You know, as opposed to the literal fascism that the Catholic Church supported in Italy in the 1930s.
Lol, if you like confusion used as a nonsensical political argument: the anti-gay French Catholics from "la manif pour tous" manifested out of nowhere during some unrelated event for the memorial day of slavery (it's mostly about the triangular trade) against medically assisted procreation of all things because a gay couples could use a surrogate mother to have their children for money, and it's clearly monetizing the female human body (add a "and you call yourself FEMINIST" if you are in favor) and therefore related to slavery ("it's the new modern slavery" and gently caress both lesbian couples and heterosexual sterile couples who both want to use their own bodies to have children).
It has been terrible last few months for the French Catholics, the pedophile priests stories are finally out in force and when the "manif pour tous" leader asked the FN to campaign for the revocation of gay marriage, they were told by the FN's second in command that noone gave a gently caress about removing gay marriage and that it was there to stay. Of course it's because they were too busy campaigning against gay marriage to realize the FN was going after the gay vote (the islamophobic ones, Pim Fortuyn style) and is the only party on the right who didn't campaign against gay marriage and is like the only political party in France with gay people in major political positions in the party (it's pretty pretty sad). So they are down to manifesting during slavery event and complaining that the french far right lost its way and how those 80 years old people telling everyone how priests raped them with the Church protection 70 years ago are just communist who want to destroy Catholicism.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 14, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

There's a reason I can't in good conscience consider myself a Catholic anymore.
At the trial of a homophobic murder, the parents of one of the skinheads/killers using "but he is such a good catholic" as a defence mantra and the total lack of empathy for the victim from the church members dragged to be "character witness" for "the good catholic", that's what did it for me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sharkie posted:

Mass shooting at Orlando gay club Pulse, possible hostage situation feared. Ongoing situation so reports are sketchy.

According to their facebook it was Latin Night. I just hope everyone gets out ok without further loss of life.

https://www.facebook.com/pulseorlando/?ref=br_rs
According to the guardian: "One man who claimed he was inside the club said people were “screaming that people are dead”. “They are just pulling people out in stretchers loading them up,” he said" :smith:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Vote Trump, clearly.

I've seen some of my activist friends talking about how this is a demonstration of the fact that we were not meant to survive and that we don't belong here. I'm not quite sure what the next step is after abetting in your own otherization and exclusion but I'm sure it's really stupid.
Be happy that the conservative movements in the US are mostly too religion obsessed to try to keep a gay friendly face and to get the gay vote (unlike France or Holland) or you would not like the left wing/far right split.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hackbunny posted:

Or, it will just feed into the old narrative that gay men are over-represented among serial and spree killers
Repressing your own sexual tendencies is pretty bad for your mental health and can create monsters.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

And Turkey's gov just declared that the Istanbul Gay Pride March wouldn't happen this year "on security ground". Considering that last year, they broke it up with cops shooting rubber bullets on the crowd, it's hard to deny the security problem.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 17, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

There are certainly posters suggesting that the existence of the 12-month deferral period is a matter of homophobia. How is that anything other than a suggestion that the FDA(and any other medical organizations that don't support lifting the deferral period) are being driven by bigotry? Which is a spurious and dangerous charge. No doubt there are people or groups that oppose allowing MSM to donate with fewer restrictions because of bigotry but does anyone like to offer any evidence whatsoever that the FDA is among them? The fact that there are countries that have no deferral period is also specious argument, unless someone would like to argue that Germany(which has a ban) is more homophobic than Russia(which has none)
Some countries had contaminated blood scandals during the 80s. France gave 4000+ haemophiliac people blood contaminated with HIV and some of this blood ended up in foreign countries (like Iran) contaminating more people. It ended up in a huge trial and the only people involved who managed to get out relatively untouched were the politicians (surprise!) who actually caused the whole thing. So most medical organizations are just terrorized that they will end up as scapegoat if there is some kind of gently caress up again with HIV (may it be related to gays or not).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Wooten posted:

Nice meltdown :smug:
I wish SA had a filter to change that "nice meltdown" election season poo poo catchphrase into "I just shat my pants".

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 22, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

A friend of mine is worried about what brexit means for LGBT protections in the UK. Does anyone have a better idea how much that's tied in with EU regulations vs UK law? As an American, I haven't the faintest idea myself as to whether there's anything to that
Lol if you think the EU itself have LGBT protections, or that the members of the European Court of Human Rights (which England didn't quit, because it's not part of the EU) can't ignore it. Like Russia, which is a member, or Poland who is still ignoring the court demands that they recognize Homosexuals' basic “rights” like inheritance for married gay couples. Since it's a purely advisory court whose goal is to judge if a country break or not any human rights. There is no EU supreme court forcing anyone to follow its judgement. It also mean that all the gay marriage laws were actually passed by the national parliaments and thank to politicians actually acting and fighting for gay rights. Imagine the state of the gay rights in the US today if the democrats needed to pass them through congress.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 24, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

Like I said, I'm not really aware of the details in Europe, hence why I asked
Imagine if the USA had gone all STATE RIGHTS in the 19th century. It's the EU, and it's too much for some.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

She is also the Duke, not Duchess, of Normandy.

This despite the fact that the English relinquished any claims on Normandy in 1259 and haven't actually held any of it since they occupied it on and off in the hundred years war.
Well the English still control some Channel Islands which were part of the old duchy and there is no french duke since the Revolution and England is still a monarchy, so honestly it's kinda fair and who gives a loving poo poo. :france:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

It shouldn't be; the end of his gravy train is in sight and he doesn't have a backup plan yet.
I am sure he got a brilliant future lobbying against trans people rights and/or being a toilet cop. They will just go where the money is (or seen to be going).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is like, comically untrue and I don't think it was true in 2000 either.
2000 is generous, i am pretty a few "cantinieres/vivandieres" (specialized infantry troop cooks, one of the rare job beside nurses allowed to women at that time, normally reserved to the wifes of the unit's officers) in the French army actually took part in combat during the 19th century. I am also pretty sure both side of the US during the civil war had similar "near the front" female units cook. Bitching about women in the army is like bitching about the telegraphs, how behind your time are you?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 8, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Pence otoh...
Yeah it's a classical republican vice-president of a president they didn't want, with both senate and congress. They will do what the democrats were too stupid to do and flip the supreme court in their favor and now it's kinda going to be quite hosed up for 10-20 years. Thank you DNC.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 11, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. Let me tell you about a little man named President-elect Trump.
Let me tell you about the gay people (one of the married to his companion) in the FN leadership and the FN seduction of the gay vote:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/how-marine-le-pen-is-winning-frances-gay-vote/
It's still a party also full of homophobes, sure. It's just not their discourse.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

American democrats never fail to depress me. :suicide:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

This has nothing to do with the democratic party. They are in no way in control right now.
Okay, so that whole vote was just a pointless show of protest against the law. Anything useful they can do against the law instead of organizing public displays of failure?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The new governor is going to certainly stop the state from defending the lawsuits against the law which will speed up it being ruled unconstitutional. Additionally he's likely to declare the law is invalid and not enforceable as it's his job to enforce the laws of the state.

The vote wasn't a protest against the law at all. The vote was republicans trying to do damage control and limit the new governor's power/ability to limit their awfulness. They were trying to get public opinion in their favor by "repealing" the bathroom portion of the law but not the part that kills local anti-discrimination ordinances.

This was not something done by or orchestrated by the NC democratic party in any way.
Well, then it's still a successful political op to make the opponents to their law looks like powerless idiots, all while failing to repeal it themselves.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

How do you propose that the opponents repeal a law when they aren't a majority in either chamber of the legislature
How about they try to make the main message "Republicans fail to repeal their own poo poo bathroom law in lame attempt to save discriminatory anti gay labor laws". Because it was not the message i got reading this thread.

quote:

What do you mean make their opponents look like powerless idiots?
I don't know what's the message going around? "Attempt to repeal bathroom law fail". I wonder who all the rest of the world (even if you don't care about us, like we don't care about the NC politic details) would assume is the source of the failure, especially after the presidential poo poo show.

quote:

This was political theater by republicans for republicans at the continued expense of the north carolina taxpayers.
And their show works.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Pst. Hey buddy? It's okay to admit you were wrong instead of doubling down. Take it from me :buddy:
Yes i was wrong, sorry. I am still angry about the Supreme court's non-replacement nonsense:buddy:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

i guess they figure it'll be harder to boycott half the country then one state
I think the whole conservative zeitgeist is now "if you aren't fitting our social norm you better go to California".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

hetero privilege is having to explain to cis-female partners that no i'm not gonna dump them to suck some dick out the blue
If you think some female partner can get insanely jealous for no reason of any other girl you look a little too long, wait until you tell them you also gently caress men.

• Locked thread