Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

So this is what it feels like to read about a hate crime being committed against people like you :smith:

I should be numb to mass shootings at this point, but this one is really getting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

shadowvine118 posted:

That doesn't make any sense, if there's a risk from certain groups donating blood, then it's not like that risk is going to temporarily disappear during a tragedy.

No, you see, gays can be temporarily treated like humans after a bunch of them get murdered.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Great, he's another Elliot Rogers.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really think that lying about one thing makes people lie about other things, otherwise I would presumably have to think that LGBT people are inherently untrustworthy because they have probably not been out to everyone all the time, which is obviously stupid. People may lie for what they believe is a good reason and it doesn't necessarily indicate that they would be dishonest arbitrarily.

And as to the general issue of blood supply in the US, is that a thing unique to the US? All blood services ask for donations all the time because obviously you want people to keep giving blood, but it isn't contradictory to screen people out while also asking for as many donations as possible, if your goal is to get as many ideal donors as possible.

The UK blood service as far as I know is not generally severely understocked, though they are concerned about falling donor numbers, and they also recently relaxed their requirements so again I don't really see screening as the problem when it comes to limited blood stocks.

It's a nice gesture to have changed the requirements, I suppose, but I don't really feel one way or another about it as far as my rights go, and I doubt it will do much good medically.

People will say some really dumb poo poo to defend the status quo, even without a good reason to do so.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

You're just concern trolling at this point.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Marriage is a right, it has always been a right, because marriage as an institution exists to change the legal rules surrounding the life of the person whose right it is, presumably to their betterment, that is its only purpose and it is commensurate with all others rights. Rights are the guarantee by the state of a person's ability to do things and live in conditions which are considered necessary to the conduct of a fulfilling life. And just about every LGBT right that is campaigned for fits this pattern. I can't think of any off the top of my head that don't.

I am assuming that changing the donation policy would require an investment of time, effort, and political capital. Because I'm sure if the blood services changed it you'd get all sorts of new "state public health laws" going up to make it illegal. If we assume you're going to invest time, money, and political capital into making that change for the benefit of improving the blood supply then I would think that there could be far more effective methods of doing that. More donation sessions, more staff so people can be seen faster, that sort of thing.

Investing the effort into getting the policy changed makes sense if you consider donation to be a civil right. But again, I don't, because it doesn't fit the pattern of other rights, it is first and foremost a service to others, not a thing for the benefit of the individual.

You haven't argued a single point anyone in the thread has made, you just keep repeating the same bullshit about rights, and more donors not benefiting anyone and sunk cost fallacy idiocy.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

It sucks that you are reminded that society views you as filth every time you encounter a blood drive, but UGH EFFORT!

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

PT6A posted:

You could say the same about people who've received a tattoo or accepted money for sex. It's not supposed to be a moral judgement. In the case of banning gay men from blood donation, it's nonsense, but I don't think it's a moral judgement.

Exactly, but a moral judgement is all it is when there is not a statistical or scientific reason for it.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

PT6A posted:

The "abundance of caution" argument is a stupid one, but it's not a moral judgement.

It's not a moral judgement yet it can't be rationally justified?

It's even the exact same argument that some people use against same sex adoption.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

There just has to be some reason the status quo is the best thing possible right?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

They have let widespread bigotry turn into a free pass to kill anyone indiscriminately? Seriously?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Hermetic posted:

You know Germans...They're all about laziness, procrastination and inefficiency. :haw:

Actually, and this is without an in-depth understanding of German culture, mind, I could see marriage not being a huge deal in the environment you describe. Civil unions seem to be legitimately on par with het marriage, and you don't have to worry about a pack of batshit crazy fundamentalist politicians making them unequal out of some twisted ambition to turn the country into a theocracy, so there's really no huge rush, unless you're hung up on semantics.

Yeah, wouldn't want to be too uppity, we should appreciate what we are given. It's just words after all.

Is it possible for you to make a post in this thread that isn't backhanded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Hermetic posted:

Nothing about that was backhanded, please shut the gently caress up forever you insufferable, idiotic pissbaby. :3:

Nice meltdown :smug:

• Locked thread