Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Celluloid Sam posted:

All I known about eurovision is lordi was in it and didn't win so gently caress it

It sucks Lordi didn't win and then cause next year to be full of other amusing acts combined with Finnish quirkiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
You have the Portuguese flag for Poland.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

NEEDS MORE TRACKSHITTAZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFPwrkzdmk

(The guy with hair apparently did his knee while dancing in that semifinal. Serves him right for wearing a Chicago Blackhawks hat. LOSERS!)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Post your Eurovision party plans plz

This year I'm thinking fancy dress in the country of your choices national dress

Amperod
Jun 16, 2006

less than three posted:

It sucks Lordi didn't win and then cause next year to be full of other amusing acts combined with Finnish quirkiness.

What ?
Lordi did win in 2006 with 292 point.
Or is this sarcasm ?

I am looking forward to having a good reason to getting drunk.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh it's that time of the year again uh?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Celluloid Sam posted:

All I known about eurovision is lordi was in it and didn't win so gently caress it

Turns out all you know about Eurovision is nothing, because not only did Lordi win, it was with a record winning score, and the first time Finland had ever won Eurovision in like half a century. There was a massive points gap between #1 and #2 as well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Keru posted:

Välkommen till djungeln
vi har kul och spel
vi har allting ni vill ha
honung, vi vet namnen
vi är de som kan hitta
det du behöver
Om du har pengar, honung
Vi har din sjukdom.

>Bra spelat!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Tunahead posted:

Turns out all you know about Eurovision is nothing, because not only did Lordi win, it was with a record winning score, and the first time Finland had ever won Eurovision in like half a century. There was a massive points gap between #1 and #2 as well.

Its the only time Finlands won ever :fin:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
drat, UK entry sucks as usual. Hopefully they'll be low in the running order so I can be incredibly drunk by then.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Post your Eurovision party plans plz

This year I'm thinking fancy dress in the country of your choices national dress

The theme of the party i'm headed to this year is cultural appropriation. The idea is to dress up and act in the most stereotypical way possible for whatever country you're given and by the time eurovision is on all the people who aren't fun would have left in disgust.

Should be fun, I got given the UK, so I just have to wear my gymwear and talk about bantz all night.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you don't turn up with a 3ltr bottle of tesco cider and a box of nandos then You're a disgrace

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't forget the WKD and lovely lager

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Can any Swedish goon tell me whether Tommy Krångh will be the interpreter for the Eurovision again?

https://youtu.be/MaDob2RQldM

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Lena forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFt3NEXcCY

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

All the young Jorah Mormont's on percussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59E7T0H-Us

Euro-Khaleesi

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Verka Serduchka has to share room in my heart with the Dubstep Astronauts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9rtB2ilZU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
And remember Turkey cancelled a semi-final and the final because Krista Siegfrids kissed a girl. That's the biggest drama we've had in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9-8OlUGHM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Who's gonna get booed this year? Are turkey in it???

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
gently caress yes, time for this again!

I'm going through the songs in the OP, and they are trying way too hard this year. They'd better have some real ridiculous stage shows.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Epic Sax Guy 10 Hours

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

serious norman posted:

Epic Sax Guy 10 Hours

what they used to call me, but with an e

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

mcustic posted:

what they used to call me, but with an e

Epic Sax Gey 10 Hours?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Zladko was robbed

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Disco Infiva posted:

Epic Sax Gey 10 Hours?
:captainpop:

Priestess Cashmere
Oct 9, 2012

Yikesaroo
Yaaasssss, Eurovision time again. Random Eurothoughts:

Wtf Australia. If they're in, why not my glorious frozen land of Canada. Oh wait, we are, standing in for Switzerland (too bad the song has no chance) :canada:

Unironically rooting for Latvia.

Way too many of the performers this year look like Junior Eurovision escapees.

Russia fell off his LED rock-climbing thingy during rehearsals earlier today. IS IT AN OMEN??

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
This year I'm trying not to peek at the acts. I want the eurovisionest

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I was waiting for this thread to pop up again. :allears:

I really hope that last years winner will produce lots of copycats completely missing the point.

We obviously welcome Australia to the EU.

And I'm pretty fond of our entry this year. Douwe Bob - Slow Down

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

In honour of this thread I'm listening to moustache on repeat.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

In honour of this thread I'm listening to moustache on repeat.

Alchohol is free.
You'll need it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

What's some good Swedish snackfood/cakes? I usually try to serve food from the country hosting each party and last year was a glorious feast of cakes, pastries and chocolate but ... wtf am I going to do it was hard enough the first time. These look pretty good though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punsch-roll I will have a go at those for sure.

So what are others serving? (if you bother with 'host country' dishes). What's a good 'swedish' style drink presuming any exist that can be made/bought without importing something expensive?

I'm in Australia so probably will watch the SBS version and be spoilered who wins by the time its on because one of my guests is a walking newsfeed aggregator.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Think I'm gonna have to root for Cyprus this year, they've got the best balance of catchy song and Eurovisiony preview video. Well, Georgia has the Eurovisioniest MV, but something's telling me that "Nika Kocharov and Young Georgian Lolitaz" aren't making it past semis.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Tambaloneus you should serve a smörgåsbord! or a smörgåstårta(smorgas cake) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/26/swedish-sandwich-cake_n_1703416.html
For dessert you can make äggost(eggcheese), http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasbord/smorgasbord/provincial/bohuslan/food/aggost.html or Lussekatter http://miasrecept.blogspot.se/2007/12/lussekatter-p-engelska.html

To drink you should go with brännvin, akvavit or snaps. Or maybe some swedish beer like Falcon.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 3, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tambaloneus posted:

What's some good Swedish snackfood/cakes? I usually try to serve food from the country hosting each party and last year was a glorious feast of cakes, pastries and chocolate but ... wtf am I going to do it was hard enough the first time. These look pretty good though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punsch-roll I will have a go at those for sure.

So what are others serving? (if you bother with 'host country' dishes). What's a good 'swedish' style drink presuming any exist that can be made/bought without importing something expensive?

I'm in Australia so probably will watch the SBS version and be spoilered who wins by the time its on because one of my guests is a walking newsfeed aggregator.

Punsch rolls are good.

For Swedish drinks: flavoured vodka. Schnapps of various kinds are popular, with common flavours being anis, "turkish pepper" licqourice candy, caraway and elderberry flowers. If you can't get real brännvin (such as Hallands Fläder or OP Andersson, just buy any vodka and mix it with some spices.

E: All cakes mentioned here are tasty, and many of them are not that hard to cook yourself if you have some basic cooking chops:

http://www.onfoodietrail.com/most-popular-swedish-fika-pastries/

If you want to go real old school, there's a Swedish tradition called "seven kinds of cookies" (sju sorters kakor), where a good host would serve their guests at least seven kinds of cookies, and preferrably cake or buns on top of that, and of course insane amounts of coffee. Yummy yummy.

http://grannliv.granngarden.se/hus-hem/kafferep/

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 3, 2016

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Cheers for suggestions, Lussekatter looks amazing that's on my "hope I have time to do that" list. The sandwich cake looks like an utter disaster (in a good way) but might be a bit messy. I'm all for interesting schnapps, I think we have some flavours but if I can find elderberry flower flavoured that'd be awesome but they do sell elderberry flower cordial here so I can make some up in any case. Never would have thought of that - thanks!

Edit: gently caress ME SMORGASBORD IS SWEDISH I AM SO DUMB (okay, well, now I have some more ideas for food at least)

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 3, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Predictions for French score ?
I'm gonna say sub 20 points

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tambaloneus posted:

Cheers for suggestions, Lussekatter looks amazing that's on my "hope I have time to do that" list. The sandwich cake looks like an utter disaster (in a good way) but might be a bit messy. I'm all for interesting schnapps, I think we have some flavours but if I can find elderberry flower flavoured that'd be awesome but they do sell elderberry flower cordial here so I can make some up in any case. Never would have thought of that - thanks!

Edit: gently caress ME SMORGASBORD IS SWEDISH I AM SO DUMB (okay, well, now I have some more ideas for food at least)

Smörgåstårta is just madness, and I can only stomach to eat it about once per year. Not because it tastes bad, but it's basically slices of bread with mayonnaise inbetween, and then tons of shrimp, roast beef, eggs, more mayonnaise, caviar, or pretty much anything you can find on top. It's a really good dish if you have lots of friends over though, just make a smörgåstårta and people will be in a food coma within minutes.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Smorgastarta-Sandwich-Layer-Cake

And holy poo poo, if you can find elderberry flavouring, make some. Really iced elderberry snapps (Swedish Spelling) is super tasty, and you should try it at least once. It should be straight out of the freezer, with ice all over the bottle, and then just drink it straight out of small glasses.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 3, 2016

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah smörgåstårta is some heavy poo poo, really nice tho. But yeah make lussekatter! its a christmas thing but who cares, they are the best buns and It only takes about an hour or two.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Predictions for French score ?
I'm gonna say sub 20 points

Nil points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Compared to last year, this year's lineup looks like it has more songs and stage performances that I'm permitted to remember afterwards. Mind you, there's also a lot of long-haired melancholy voiced women all grown in vats in the same facility. But I guess that goes without saying. It's Eurovision.

Netherlands has a country song again this year. I guess that's their shtick now.

San Marino has Ser Hat who, true to his name, is indeed wearing a hat. And with my low Eurovision standards, that's basically enough. He does stand out by also having the only disco song of the year. And there are dancers!

True to their nature, Russia have come to Eurovision this year with a violent purpose: Kill all participants of the Eurovision drinking game. None will remain after witnessing the stage show, which contains all things, and is frankly trying too hard.

Montenegro's song is all over the place. Every time I think I've figured out what kind of song it is, it changes. I think this is the only song with dubstep this year. I guess Eurovision as a whole have gotten over their dubstep phase.

Slovenia's song has a banjo in it. Also, there's a bit where the backup singers tear the lead singer's dress off! Eurovision!

Ukraine go all out this year with their low key tempo and instruments, shrill vocalist, and lyrics of HEY GUYS DO YOU REMEMBER STALINISM to point out that, yes, this is a protest song.

I kind of like Belgium this year. I think it's because the bass track reminds me of Another One Bites The Dust.

I hated Sweden's song before it had even started, but then the song started, and then I REALLY hated it.

Germany has a weird dress.

I remember Spain's footie dance from a previous year's entry. That's not your footie dance, Spain! Get your own!

• Locked thread