Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
[urk=http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/3/11575976/eurovision-logo-tv-us-streaming]Eurovision coming to US[/url]

quote:

The Eurovision Song Contest, one of the most watched live events in Europe, is coming to American television for the first time ever. The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) announced on Monday that this year's grand final in Stockholm will be broadcast live in the US on Logo, a Viacom-owned cable network known for LGBT-themed programming. The final will be held on May 14th at 3PM ET, and will also be streamed in the US at LogoTV.com and on the LogoTV app. Logo is available in nearly 50 million homes in the US, the EBU said.

The LGBT part makes me chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tunahead posted:

I hated Sweden's song before it had even started, but then the song started, and then I REALLY hated it.
I really hate Sweden's entry a lot, but I have money on it to win Eurovision so I'm gonna be pretty torn during the points.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Swedish snacks! Remember that cinnamon buns are officially a Swedish invention, and pancakes and waffles have been around since an ungodly amount of time (longer than a couple hundred years anyway). Remember that you have to eat those with jam and whipped cream. Then there's semlor! Oh and THEN there's minced fried potatoes, you eat that with straight butter and bacon (this is my explanation of raggmunk).

Just go to IKEA and buy everything.

Fake e: if vodka is to strong for your guests beer is proper Swedish to, but then there is Punch. Getting real Punch is as likely as getting aquavit or OP or Skåne, but it is basically vodka with sugar and arrak. It's fantastic when you're halfway through pancakes i.e. drunk

Btw, what was Sweden's song this year? This is normally the point of the year I start caring 'cause... are we going to win again?? :agesilaus:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Tunahead posted:

I hated Sweden's song before it had even started, but then the song started, and then I REALLY hated it.
Yeah it's poo poo, we can't afford winning another year.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

[urk=http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/3/11575976/eurovision-logo-tv-us-streaming]Eurovision coming to US[/url]

The LGBT part makes me chuckle.

Well, Eurovision is basically the gay olympics.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I really hate Sweden's entry a lot, but I have money on it to win Eurovision so I'm gonna be pretty torn during the points.

I don't normally care how a terrible song does because the sheer magnitude of terrible songs every year guarantees that terrible songs will always place in both the top and bottom five, but with Sweden I always hope it does badly because then there will be an entertainingly salty article about it in Aftonbladet the next day.

Tunahead fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 3, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zombiepop posted:

Yeah it's poo poo, we can't afford winning another year.

If I Were Sorry is such a wet fart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZkPQeOaSg

This was an objectively better choice.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
hi why is the welsh flag banned

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This is Eurovision. You have to imagine dragons.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo I didn't realize Eurovision is this close.. Can't wait! Also trying really hard not to listen to too many entries yet.. But those I've seen were pretty bland.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sion posted:

hi why is the welsh flag banned
Can't have Welsh separatists using the Eurovision as free advertising for their perverted cause.

Real answer, to avoid any sort of controversy they've banned any flag that isn't an EBU member's national flag (as well as a few movement flags thatshould be uncontroversial like the rainbow flag?). If you want to show your Welsh spirit, you need to do it with the Union Jack.

Because the Eurovision is a bureaucratic mire of weirdness, when publishing guidelines on what flags are allowed, instead of showing the limited known set of allowed flags, they got creative and started showing unallowed flags, seemingly equating Wales and the Basque with ISIS.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For people looking for Swedish alcoholic drinks, Rekorderlig is possibly the nicest range fruit ciders around. No idea how truly "Swedish" it is but I really don't care!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can't wait to continue the national tradition of ending dead last!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3k2MOJOkKg

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
free palestine

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and kosovo and wales

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Will there be a sign language stream this year, it's literally the greatest way to enjoy the show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19P91F6_wcM

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I don't get Logo on television, and their website and app are such a shitshow. I hope that doesn't block me out of the official Eurovision stream by geographic IP, or I am going to be so pissed.

Watching it on youtube last year was so great. No weird plugins, it was on HD on my television...

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Will there be a sign language stream this year, it's literally the greatest way to enjoy the show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19P91F6_wcM

The Swedish telly will be doing a stream, I guess you can hook up to it internationally? There was already a little row over if the folks doing the signing are allowed to take their shirts off while live

:allears:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Post your Eurovision party plans plz

This year I'm thinking fancy dress in the country of your choices national dress

I'm usually on my ownsome because Mr Boods in variably falls asleep after our annual pre-show of the Father Ted Eurovision one.

Fortunately, I have his old cat for company, so as my poor former kitty and I did the last time Sweden hosted, I plan to get out all of my blingy hair jewelry and fake hair pieces, and me and the cat will have another hair-styling party thing.

And because it's broadcast in the US this year, a buddy back in the States plans to take the afternoon off work and exchange snarky messages with me for the duration.

Yeah, I'm :corsair: but me and the cat will look faaaaabulous by scoretime.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
My normal Eurovision watching buddies will be out of town that weekend. Worst case scenario, I'll watch the competition on one screen and the IRC chat on another, crying into a thing of potato chips.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ms Boods posted:

Yeah, I'm :corsair: but me and the cat will look faaaaabulous by scoretime.

post pics of the cat on the night and I promise to show them at the party I'm having 😁

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Watching the full line-up of promo videos for the ESC is a bit like being young again, opening birthday or Christmas gifts. Let's see what we got this year!

Albania: The lyrics seem slightly less uplifting when you consider the symbolic significance of motionless clockworks, a stairway leading up into the clouds, and a woman swinging from a tree.
Armenia: Basing your music video on the infamous drug-rush imagery from Requiem For A Dream seems a little grim for Eurovision.
Australia: The most remarkable part of this song is that the second line of verse is an Apple advert.
Austria: A low-key, all-French song with the same four lines repeated ad nauseum? Sounds like an ESC winner all right !!
Azerbaijan: Gonna take a miracle not to be hypnotised by her mouth.
Belarus: Belarus plays it safe and just sticks all of this year’s popular elements together: wolves, flat-shaded polygons, prominent synths, flight-themed lyrics, and, er, couch-potato fashion sense?
Belgium: A not-half-bad disco song cobbled together from probably half a dozen other songs.
Bosnia & Herzegovina: What appears to be a bald woman with a fake beard, dressed in the cheapest polyester suit imaginable, joins a normal singer, another woman with a cello from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and a hilariously misplaced and heavily-bearded ethnic rapper, to bring you an otherwise unremarkable ballad-esque song.
Bulgaria: This song’s passionate message is undermined somewhat by having a lesson in basic, unfeeling logic for a chorus.
Croatia: From what I can tell, a mid-‘90s cyberpunk girl has just woken up from some drug-addled stupor to find herself on an empty road in the middle of the night, has an out-of-body experience where she’s in space, thinks she’s Irish or just generically Celtic, and is promptly arrested for obvious reasons.
Cyprus: I know, I know, I know this is a very catchy mix of rock and electronica, only slightly marred by the fact that the lyrics are slightly too furry-friendly for comfort.
Czech Republic: Picture the opening scene for Lynch’ Dune, but crossed with one of Peter Gabriel’s old stop-motion videos, the video for Somebody I Used To Know, and one of the million modern indie Asteroid derivatives, but instead of interstellar feudalism in the far future, it’s about bombastic daddy worship or something.
Denmark: Army recruitment songs should be banned from the ESC.
Estonia: Yes, let’s send a kid who cannot dance and erroneously believes he has the timbre and volume to pull of a booming, low voice, so that the audience sees a bow-legged boy aching to do a #2 and only barely hears a forced monotone over a decent Amy Winehouse B-track.
F.Y.R. Macedonia: Yes, the bullet-time effect in The Matrix was very impressive at the time, but that was almost 17 years ago and it also loses it effect somewhat when you omit the slow-motion part and film it against a completely unconvincing and unnecessary green-screened opera house.
Finland: In the nightmarish, lawless dystopia that is modern Finland, one plucky lady and her quartet of mute party girls rediscover the fabled, long lost electronic piano and trumpet from 1992.
France: Electric triangles, black Billy Elliot, and the taekwondo equivalent, one presumes, of the girl from Million Dollar Baby, all set to a cheerful pop/dance tune.
Germany: Not even a forest of lasers can save singing this dire.
Greece: Of all the old FYAD things to reference, the word “lond” sure is an odd and obscure one.
Georgia: Part Oasis, part Garbage, all doomed to fail at the ESC.
Hungary: A hipster troll troglodyte struggles to enunciate something vaguely New-Agey, while a ballet monk wails on a giant yet wholly soundless drum, presumably in a vain, metaphorical attempt to inject a heartbeat into this dismal song.
Iceland: The Human Mop is beset by terrifying giant shadow creatures and hands trying to grope her as if she’s trapped in a Japanese subway from hell, while a rejected theme song for the Brazil Olympics plays in the background.
Ireland: You know what would really stand out in the sun? Jedward. Come on Ireland. You know you want to. You know we want to. Stop playing these silly games.
Israel: This run-off-the-mill ballad sung by an escapee from a New Romantics video seems innocuous enough until he starts launching a veritable fleet of drones into the air, positioning themselves across the night sky, pretending to be stars rather than a very sinister network of flying cameras.
Italy: Italian Christina Ricci is trapped in augmented reality.
Latvia: You have to be a real fucker to wear a bad knockoff of the iconic jacket from Beat It while singing to a generic deep house track lacking any discernible melody.
Lithuania: I’ve been waiting for the return of the *finger snap*.
Malta: A very pretty lady is upstaged by a guy who, in the process of performing some kind of ultra-elaborate bird’s mating dance, takes the concept of hover-handing to the next level!
Moldova: I think she’s trying to rope someone into a suicide pact, and she’s real chipper about it, too.
Montenegro: The real thing is apparently something that reminds me of that one song by The Rasmus, and has a superfluous and embarrassingly out-of-fashion dubstep bit in the middle.
The Netherlands: For someone doing as little and looking as disinterested as Douwe is in this video, slowing down further just seems as lazy as his song’s uninspired guitar chords.
Norway: Norway updates the age-old tradition of publicly shaming convicts for the 21st talent-show-ridden century, by making them dance on national television.
Poland: Thankfully, at least one of the former Eastern Bloc countries carries on the proud tradition this year of submitting an unintentionally comical, pseudo-intellectual sensitive song, delivered in strongly accented English.
Russia: Welcome to CyberRussia, where everything looks as grey, barren and inhospitable as the real thing, but at least the beat and synths are very solid.
San Marino: Serhat more like Sir Hat haha geddit?? Anyway it’s a 1970s disco song sung by ESL Leonard Cohen, and not bad at all.
Serbia: I for one think it’s very admirable that Serbia is letting a Parkinson’s patient sing its entry this year.
Slovenia: Blue is blue, red is red, this is a fun pop-country song, it’s a costume change but the audience are dead.
Spain: Best/Biggest Hair In Show. Fun song, too.
Sweden: You should be sorry for inflicting your horrible affected English accent on everyone.
Switzerland: I’m going to go out on a limb and claim that a ballad at the ESC in 2016 hardly qualifies as the last of its kind, but at least it differentiates itself from all the rest by being real heavy on the synths.
Ukraine: Depressing, minimalistic, public intoxication – yes, it’s a former Soviet state.
United Kingdom: The thought of being in this together with these jokers is particularly disheartening.

I'd have to say that Cyprus' entry is my favourite song this year. I also rather enjoy Georgia's, Spain's, and - somewhat shamefully - Switzerland's songs.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

post pics of the cat on the night and I promise to show them at the party I'm having 😁

Noted!

The year I did it with my late kitty The Beans, Mr Boods must have woken up during part of it, because the next morning he asked, 'Were you and the cat dressed as Yeoman Rand while a falsetto vampire sang on the TV?'

The cat and I were trying to emulate the fabulous be-butterfly-jazzled hairdo of the Swedish hostess (Petra Mede), and yes, Cezar was amazing :allears:

If we're posting Eurofaves, my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gigZJYHJwM

:allears: Paul Léger :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
French minister for the Francophonie is mad because the chorus of the French song is in English

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Does anyone have any of the gifs from previous entries? I'm too scared to type 'turkish manboat' into google.

Also Russian Nanna's was Eurovision at its best why aren't there more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOTBIJCAnKE&t=55s

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Tambaloneus posted:

What's some good Swedish snackfood/cakes? I usually try to serve food from the country hosting each party and last year was a glorious feast of cakes, pastries and chocolate but ... wtf am I going to do it was hard enough the first time. These look pretty good though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punsch-roll I will have a go at those for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRvHkZLNtY

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Who was the guy that made a ton of .gifs last year? Also somebody else made a giant, hand drawn collage of all the 2014 acts which was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ920cN2HmA

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

French minister for the Francophonie is mad because the chorus of the French song is in English

I also saw that they're bitching and moaning because the official French team song for Euro 2016 is a KISS cover (which naturally, is entirely in English).

And it ain't even a GOOD song from KISS, it's I Was Made For Loving You.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I unironically like Australia and want to see them win just because somebody forgot to pull them out of the competition for not meeting the win requirement last year.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Australia sent a decent song last year, which automatically makes me like them better than the UK.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Incoherence posted:

Verka Serduchka has to share room in my heart with the Dubstep Astronauts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9rtB2ilZU

Still my favorite ever. Who See was fabulous.

In this year's notes...is Ukraine doing another anti-Russian song again? Risky. Annoyed by Romania not being there, I actually liked the song. Estonia seemed like the worst ballad. I liked Cyprus and San Marino, sadly they're too small to host, much less win.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

One of the best things about Eurovision are all the tragic outsiders who enter their national contests each year but never make the grade. There are so many to choose from, but the most determined has to be Sasha Bognibov who has been contending for Moldova year after year.

He's the Moldavan Christian Grey
Nothing Else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUXZ2VShkXw

He is willing to open his soul to the world
Wounded Swan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArZVuh3MLZM

He knows how Eurovision really operates
Insane (Against Corruption) [2016]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDc0nMoRuLg

He understands the power of an inspirational anthem
Alone [2016]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvmR59vlIo

He was singing about sexual equality and gender fluidity longer before Conchita grew her beard:
My Lesbian Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaIYcfFuw7U

And his seminal work, which I guess is about loving kids
I Love The Girls of 13 Years Old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_02lGxggCc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looks like he'd fit right in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remember that time that Azerbaijan tried to fix Eurovision by the satallite feed conveniently going down during Armenia's entry, and Azeris who voted for Armenia getting arrested? I think super petty poo poo like that is hilarious. The rest of the world thinks Eurovision is pretty campy and dumb but the Azeri government views it as a huge national pride issue.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Remember that time that Azerbaijan tried to fix Eurovision by the satallite feed conveniently going down during Armenia's entry, and Azeris who voted for Armenia getting arrested? I think super petty poo poo like that is hilarious. The rest of the world thinks Eurovision is pretty campy and dumb but the Azeri government views it as a huge national pride issue.

Most countries in the European periphery hold Eurovision in extraordinary regard because of the possibility of gaining recognition for your National Culture and that's reason enough for inane and insane shenanigans. Even god drat Finland only loosened up about the ESC after winning it in 2006, before that it Finland's poor record was considered a cause for national shame and every contestant was burdened with the expectations of Winning Glory for Millions of Bogmen. Too bad that never reflected on the quality of the entries themselves, here's the infamous Zero Points Kojo :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUoKFwc3U8c

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

One of my favorite bad entries, although it did get 7 points in total. I think Mossad uses this song to torture Hamas operatives nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNfhj66GOo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OEd4pLMOI
Obligatory

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Really not looking forward to Stockholm this next couple weeks, working in tourism in the city is going to suck

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Please Finland, send more Reggae songs next time instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31k3YDH7Qvg

E: obligatory Finnish accordion at 2:40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

ZombieJesus posted:

Really not looking forward to Stockholm this next couple weeks, working in tourism in the city is going to suck

gently caress Stockholm for getting it another year! Gothenburg would like a chance to show the world that we are not the gay bashing capital of sweden.

• Locked thread