Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

:siren::siren: CLICK HERE TO HELP SEND 14" DICK TO NEBRASKA] :siren::siren:

So, I've posted about this in the chat thread, but I guess the project's officially rolling, so it deserves its own thread.

In short, I bought a truck.

A dump truck.

A dump truck with no engine.

A dump truck with no engine in Montana

Pictured : Scenic Miles City, Montana.

Yes, it's a 1951 Chevy 6400 Dump truck. 15' Wheelbase, 20' total lengh, and weighing in a 3 tons.

It's actually, from what I can tell picturewise, not in bad shape.

Interior might need some dusting though:

Anyways, it's not in any worse shape than Moocow's truck was.
Now, you may be wondering why I said there's bad decisions, well, the truck is in Montana, and I am in Florida.
But true love knows no boundaries, and quite frankly, for a truck of this type, in this shape, for $700~, it was almost impossible to say no. I've turned down several trucks over the years for being in worse shape, too expensive, too far away, etc. But this one, this one is different, and I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on it. Funnily enough, I didn't think I would win it. I bought it off of ebay, and kinda just through some money at it, went to work, and then found out I own a truck 2500 miles away.

That being said, the first challenge is getting it to Florida. I've spoken with the owner, and he has a buddy of his with a farm outside of Minneapolis, and said farm owner has agreed to tow it there, and hold it there, while I work out the other 1500 miles. And that's the fun part.

So figure my options are:
1. Pay someone on Uship or whatever to haul it. Boring, but safe. Also, $$$$$$
2. Drive up there an haul it myself. I have an Explorer and an XJ. Neither one of those is up to the task.
3. Find a buddy, or goon, with a big truck or trailer to drive up there and tow it back down. Goon road trip?
4. Find several goons with trailers willing to relay race it down to Florida.
5. Fly up there, slam a new engine/tranny in, get it roadworthy, and drive it back down.
5a. Find a local goon/goon willing to travel, and do a repair blitz on the existing engine and drive it back.

#5 is possible, as it sounds like the engine still turns over, but the head has been removed. If I did that however, it would be a loooooong loving drive. It's a straight six that produces somewhere south of 120HP. No highways, no high speed roads, no going over 50mph. I'm looking at least 3 solid days of driving on surface street. In a truck that's been sitting in field for a while. With no power steering, or power brakes.

What could go wrong? :shepface:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't do number five if you haven't seen the truck. You don't know what shape the brakes and brake lines are in, or how many animals have died inside that thing.

That is, unless you like to live dangerously.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CornHolio posted:

I wouldn't do number five if you haven't seen the truck. You don't know what shape the brakes and brake lines are in, or how many animals have died inside that thing.

That is, unless you like to live dangerously.

Well, as Kastein mentioned in the chat thread, if it's a regular stovebolt six, then any old SBC will plug right in. I think they even share one of the engine mount locations. And if you think you need brakes, I suggest you repent to the church of V8.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

And if you think you need brakes, I suggest you repent to the church of V8.

Fair enough :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The best answer is #5, but even if the engine is somehow up to it, something tells me the brakes, tires, and hantavirus might be a bit more trouble.

There is a big auction in edmonton, alberta in a few days, and a pile of that stuff heads south into the states through montana, so in the next couple weeks there should be a ton of half loads that might make it cheaper. You could try Uship, or give some of these companies a call directly. https://www.rbauction.com/heavy-equipment-auctions/edmonton-buyer-services

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well I was planning to do an engine swap anyways once I got the restoration underway. I had been entertaining the idea of putting a Dodge V10 in there, assuming there's enough room to fit.
But if a Chevy engine can be dropped in there without loving with engine mounts, that'd make doing a field engine swap a lot easier.

Then I guess I can take both engines and sell them later. If I do end up attempting to drive it home it's not like I'll be hurting for space for spare parts :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think one of the mount locations is the same as the V8, but you'd have to do something about the other one. I am pretty sure that the bellhousing is the same. Doing a cursory google search, it looks like there might be an issue with steering box clearance, so that might cause some problems. Might not be as plug-n-chug as I was hoping.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So doing some cursory research it looks like a 350 should more or less drop in. The only issue seems to be fiddling with the steering box, but it appears that's easily rectified by drilling out the rivets and shimming it over a bit.

So, I'm starting to put together a list of what would need to be done to get it road trip road worthy:
1. Replace the engine. A 350 is looking like the best candidate right now, as it seems to involve the least amount of work, and there seems to be plenty of aftermarket parts for things like engine mount swaps.
Also, based on what I've read, it does seem to mount to the stock transmission, so that will mean no having to fiddle around with a new tranny, crossmember, or having to redo the whole driveshaft as well.

2. Switch over to a 12V power system.

3. Replace the rear wheels. The old one are split rims, and yeah, good luck finding a tire shop for that.

4. Possibly may need to add an electric fan for the radiator, will most certainly need to make some sort of shroud though, as it seems like the V8 block is shorter than the I6

5. Inspect the brakes, replace as necessary. I'm thinking, assuming that the brakes aren't totally locked up, I'll be replacing everything on the fronts (springs, pistons, and new drums) and at least the springs on the back.

In short:

Someone please talk me down from the edge.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

You will find very little of that here.

I'd say that if you found documentation that other people have done that swap in that chassis (I'm sure countless have), ideally with pictures so you know exactly what you're in for, you should be pretty well prepared. Don't forget the dumped cherry bombs so you aren't running open headers :q:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We are the living edge. Welcome to it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What's the name of this subforum?

Exactly. :colbert: :golfclap:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

ExplodingSims posted:

Bad Decisions ITT

Where's the bad decision? :getin:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ExplodingSims posted:

So doing some cursory research it looks like a 350 should more or less drop in. The only issue seems to be fiddling with the steering box, but it appears that's easily rectified by drilling out the rivets and shimming it over a bit.

So, I'm starting to put together a list of what would need to be done to get it road trip road worthy:
1. Replace the engine. A 350 is looking like the best candidate right now, as it seems to involve the least amount of work, and there seems to be plenty of aftermarket parts for things like engine mount swaps.
Also, based on what I've read, it does seem to mount to the stock transmission, so that will mean no having to fiddle around with a new tranny, crossmember, or having to redo the whole driveshaft as well.

2. Switch over to a 12V power system.

3. Replace the rear wheels. The old one are split rims, and yeah, good luck finding a tire shop for that.

4. Possibly may need to add an electric fan for the radiator, will most certainly need to make some sort of shroud though, as it seems like the V8 block is shorter than the I6

5. Inspect the brakes, replace as necessary. I'm thinking, assuming that the brakes aren't totally locked up, I'll be replacing everything on the fronts (springs, pistons, and new drums) and at least the springs on the back.

In short:

Fuel system is essentially guaranteed to be unusable, but it wouldn't be all that difficult to redneck a cheap (and large) plastic fuel cell into it. I'd honestly just temp-mount it in the bed. Also, steering. Kingpins wouldn't be fun to do in a field somewhere if they're really hosed.

e: don't forget a potentially seized clutch or something else super fun like that :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I'm thinking anything with rubber in it that's essential to the engine is going to need to be replaced for the drive.
And yeah, the "fuel system" is more than likely gonna be a tank strapped to the bed with some hose running out of it,

I hadn't thought about steering all that much though. After talking to the PO some more he says it rolls and steers just fine, but I guess I'll just have to find out when I get there.
It doesn't have power steering though, so trying to move a 20' truck around is gonna be fun.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking anything with rubber in it that's essential to the engine is going to need to be replaced for the drive.
And yeah, the "fuel system" is more than likely gonna be a tank strapped to the bed with some hose running out of it,

I hadn't thought about steering all that much though. After talking to the PO some more he says it rolls and steers just fine, but I guess I'll just have to find out when I get there.
It doesn't have power steering though, so trying to move a 20' truck around is gonna be fun.

It was designed to not have power steering, hence the giant steering wheel to give your puny arms a chance.

I would say wheel cylinders leaking like no tomorrow is your biggest death probability. Second would be carbon monoxide, third gas explosion, fourth truck rolls over you while you are trying to fix 1 2 or 3.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Elephanthead posted:

It was designed to not have power steering, hence the giant steering wheel to give your puny arms a chance.

I would say wheel cylinders leaking like no tomorrow is your biggest death probability. Second would be carbon monoxide, third gas explosion, fourth truck rolls over you while you are trying to fix 1 2 or 3.

Fix brakes, they'll be handy because your solution to 2 is to go as far as you can with the windows open. 3 results from 4 when you don't do 1. Simple.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Elephanthead posted:

My concern is that and wheel bearings. 50 year old grease and oil is not a great lubricant anymore. Any contaminated grease will ruin bearings, then leak out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I can't wait to see how this turns out, it's gonna be awesome.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to take 2-3 weeks off of work, buy all the stuff I think I'd need, fly up there, throw it in the truck and try to drive it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Buy a steering wheel knob. They're brotruck bullshit when you have power steering, but without it, it makes steering so much easier.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Slung Blade posted:

I can't wait to see how this turns out, it's gonna be awesome.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to take 2-3 weeks off of work, buy all the stuff I think I'd need, fly up there, throw it in the truck and try to drive it.

That IS the plan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elephanthead posted:

You missed the outside chance of a split rim detonating while trying to get it off the hub it's rusted to.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well poo poo.

Got a phone call from the current owner today. Guy who was supposed to be trailering the truck to Minnesota apparently really underestimated its weight, and ended up bottoming out his trailer trying to move it.
So truck remains in Montana, and I guess I have to figure out some way to get it.....somewhere.

Any farm owning Midwestern goons have some space available? All you have to do is hold it, it'll be shipped there!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExplodingSims posted:

Any farm owning Midwestern goons have some space available? All you have to do is hold it, it'll be shipped there!

What part of the Midwest?

E: A straight line from eastern Montana to Florida misses me by a few hundred miles.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

rndmnmbr posted:

Buy a steering wheel knob. They're brotruck bullshit when you have power steering, but without it, it makes steering so much easier.

They're fantastic on a forklift.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
Serious offer pay my way start to finish and i'll ride shotgun with tools. I need no compensaton otherwise.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I smell a blockbuster in the making!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Dagen H posted:

What part of the Midwest?

E: A straight line from eastern Montana to Florida misses me by a few hundred miles.

I'm open to any part of the midwest. Any thing that doesn't involve shipping costs in the $3000+ range I'd the goal here.

Garbage Dick posted:

Serious offer pay my way start to finish and i'll ride shotgun with tools. I need no compensaton otherwise.

:frogon:

I'm listening.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I have an acre in the part of Ohio where derelict vehicles killing grass is nearly de rigueur.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Garbage Dick posted:

Holy poo poo, take this man's offer immediately, no other mechanic I'd rather have riding shotgun.

[e] where in Florida are you located?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 29, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

leica posted:

Holy poo poo, take this man's offer immediately, no other mechanic I'd rather have riding shotgun.

[e] where in Florida are you located?

I'll take all the help I can get!

I'm in Orlando, College Park area.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm open to any part of the midwest. Any thing that doesn't involve shipping costs in the $3000+ range I'd the goal here.

:frogon:

I'm listening.

IF I'M GONNA DIE, I'M GONNA DO IT ALL HISTORIC IN A FORUMS POST

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'll donate airline miles to get Mr. Dick there - tell me where from and where to and I'll make sure it's doable.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
SEA to BIL, I would guess.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
My only hang up is May 12th I have a critical absolutely can not miss appointment for DSHS, so I'm literally wide open up to and after that day. Basically I'm saying get me there and guarantee me getting home, and work rations of Camels and literally any cheap food you'd feel like kicking my way, and in return you buy literally anything all the way up to spitting raw nitro into superchargers and entry into Valhalla itself.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
I used literally 3 seperate times so you know I'm either serious or insane CHOOSE WISELY PINKY SWEAR I WON'T MAKE YOU INTO A SKIN SUIT

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well then, I guess the plan has changed:
Priority 1: Get truck to Ohio
Priority 2: Get Dick to Ohio
Priority 3: Get my rear end to Mars Ohio

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
SEA to CMH, then?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Garbage Dick posted:

My only hang up is May 12th I have a critical absolutely can not miss appointment for DSHS, so I'm literally wide open up to and after that day. Basically I'm saying get me there and guarantee me getting home, and work rations of Camels and literally any cheap food you'd feel like kicking my way, and in return you buy literally anything all the way up to spitting raw nitro into superchargers and entry into Valhalla itself.

The blackest of thumbs. This is starting to sound like an adventure.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Well this thread just took a turn for the :perfect:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The thread was great anyway because truck but then a wild Garbage Dick entered the arena and things got extra interesting... You need to make sure this adventure is well documented.

• Locked thread