Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Film this and put it on Youtube. You'll get enough hits to make some money I'm sure.

Do you have any disposable income? Buy something like a short school bus that has a 454/460 or better, buy a used trailer, go get the truck, bring it all home and resell the bus and trailer for what you paid.You'll have lots of cargo room for tools, you can get both the bus and trailer for dirt cheap, and unless you buy something 8 years old or newer, it shouldn't lose any value while you use it.

Comedy option: Contact Freiburger and Finnigan and see if they want to make an episode out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's actually a pretty good idea.

The only issue I see is getting Dick's tools there and back, unless he just takes whatever he can with him on the plane.

It would be ideal to have his entire set at his disposal but I don't see how that could be feasible.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Buy everything locally at Harbor Freight and leave it here when we're done.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

leica posted:

The only issue I see is getting Dick's tools there and back, unless he just takes whatever he can with him on the plane.

It would be ideal to have his entire set at his disposal but I don't see how that could be feasible.

Upgrade the casters on the box, tow it with the Civic, then put those in the back of Sims' new truck while all being towed by the short bus?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
:munch:

Nomex posted:

Comedy option: Contact Freiburger and Finnigan and see if they want to make an episode out of this.
Might not be a bad idea. Mr. Dick would probably stumble into having his own MToD channel.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Construction? On MY I-94?"
It's more likely than you think!

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 30, 2016

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
If you come through Iowa on the alternate route, I can help. Not much, probably, but it's always helpful to have backup.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

leica posted:

I was considering just a triage bag of essentials, with the basic or oddball poo poo up to the dude who thinks this is a good idea. Like my Snap On ratchets, a select set of sockets, etc.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Garbage Dick posted:

I was considering just a triage bag of essentials, with the basic or oddball poo poo up to the dude who thinks this is a good idea. Like my Snap On ratchets, a select set of sockets, etc.

With a vehicle that old a standard socket set a test light timing light and screw driver set will aide you in reaching Valhalla.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

If you come through Iowa on the alternate route, I can help. Not much, probably, but it's always helpful to have backup.

Same here. I have a bit of tools and a refrigerator with beer in it.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Dagen H posted:

Suggest the southern route to keep as far from Chicago traffic as possible. Wish I were closer, I'd offer beer or something.

Also this was my new favorite project thread even before it took a turn for the fantastic. So excited.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

With a vehicle that old a standard socket set a test light timing light and screw driver set will aide you in reaching Valhalla.

Good point. A cordless 18v impact would probably be invaluable as well and not take up too much space.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheNothingNew posted:

Suggest the southern route to keep as far from Chicago traffic as possible. Wish I were closer, I'd offer beer or something.

Also this was my new favorite project thread even before it took a turn for the fantastic. So excited.

If you do go south, I can recommend a great place to hit up for lunch in Iowa City. Hamburg Inn Number 2 is probably the best diner in the state, and has the Best Thing Ever : The Pie Shake, which is exactly what it sounds like, a milkshake made with a slice of pie.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Nomex posted:

Film this and put it on Youtube. You'll get enough hits to make some money I'm sure.

Do you have any disposable income? Buy something like a short school bus that has a 454/460 or better, buy a used trailer, go get the truck, bring it all home and resell the bus and trailer for what you paid.You'll have lots of cargo room for tools, you can get both the bus and trailer for dirt cheap, and unless you buy something 8 years old or newer, it shouldn't lose any value while you use it.

If we're going to be doing this kinda stuff as a way to get this thing across the country, the best option is obviously to fly Dick out to New England, get kastein's 5 Ton running, drive that out, and tow the dump truck with that. :colbert:
Although doesn't Doccers live in Washington now?

Besides, if I could afford a bus and trailer I'd just pay the like $3500 to have it shipped straight to FL

Anways, I guess right now the main challenge is getting it to Ohio.
Dagen, if you are serious, can you email me some details about your place? Like address, so I can throw something up on Uship ExplodingSims2@gmail.com

And Dick, I will totally take you up on that offer. Consider that plane ticket bought. Feel free to email me for details.
Keep in mind the actual fixing won't be happening for at least another month or so, as I have
A. Get this thing shipped
B. Find a motor
C. Buy all the other parts
D. Still got bills to pay

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

<Ron Paul.gif>

Holy wow did this thread go from great to greatester in like a day.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Dagen H posted:

Your address is still in the URL there m8 :ssh:

Also this thread is going places and I LIKE IT.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

If you do go south, I can recommend a great place to hit up for lunch in Iowa City. Hamburg Inn Number 2 is probably the best diner in the state, and has the Best Thing Ever : The Pie Shake, which is exactly what it sounds like, a milkshake made with a slice of pie.

They also make french toast with flattened cinnamon rolls. God I love that place.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This thread started interesting, but now... :f5h::stare:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Your address is still in the URL there m8 :ssh:

oops Buced myself

E: just to be clear, I can't offer food, shelter or tools. Just storage space and an occasional helping hand.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 30, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
C'mon, need updates!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CommieGIR posted:

C'mon, need updates!

Update: I have spousal permission, and ExplodingSims has my address for shipping quotes. That's all I got.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
hail satan

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, I threw up a page on Uship for shipping to Ohio.
So now we wait. Unless any goons have or know someone with a large truck an trailer who're up for a road trip. I'll pay for gas!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If you truly round up 14 inch garbage dick and do this I will donate at least $50 to the effort

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

everdave posted:

If you truly round up 14 inch garbage dick and do this I will donate at least $50 to the effort

Seriously, start a gofundme and promise personalized post cards* and I'll give money.

This thread went from cool thread to one of the best threads ever. I'm so excited to see everything go down. I wish this was happening out of California so I could be a part of it. If anyone buys an old truck/car/motorcycle/meth lab out of SoCal, I have room for storage and access to a full shop!

*written like love letter from the great war

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 30, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, a bit of progress has been made, I found a carrier who isn't like stupid expensive, so once I get this finalized we should get things rolling!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I hope you Sloppy Mechanics the thing and throw a 6.0 GM truck motor/4L80e in it then feed it 12+ lbs of boost with a big fuckoff turbo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Stubby Bob it.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Just throwing this out there in case poo poo, but if Ohio doesn't work out you can have your truck shipped to my place out in northern Nebraska. I have a few tools but word of warning, it's all dirt, no crete.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

djdanno13 posted:

it's all dirt, no crete.

All grass here

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

djdanno13 posted:

Just throwing this out there in case poo poo, but if Ohio doesn't work out you can have your truck shipped to my place out in northern Nebraska. I have a few tools but word of warning, it's all dirt, no crete.

Shoot me an email, that might be significantly cheaper.
ExplodingSims2@gmail.com

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Also this is a relevant video.

https://youtu.be/ShKnsS9wsW4

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExplodingSims posted:

that might be significantly cheaper.

And it will significantly lengthen the drive home, allowing for more madcap misadventures! :toot:

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
My thoughts are finding out what engine and trans are as close to a bolt in as possible to ensure a working clutch because gently caress all that work if we can't even get it to move after a motor swap.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
Also very very serous those bias plies have to loving go.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
10R22.5s on standard Budd wheels.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh yeah, new tires and rims are high on the agenda. Bias plies and split rims do not make for the good times.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/13137557_234917533532923_488413986_n.mp4
I only have this to add.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be down to GFM some cash to get DICK to Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dagen H posted:

10R22.5s on standard Budd wheels.

I'd go 11R22.5s if they fit, or maybe a 19.5 otherwise. 10R22.5 is a great size if you like waiting on a backorder and only ever running XZEs.

Were it me I'd keep the splits (Kumho even makes a 10.00R20 so you don't have to suffer the bias plies) but I'm one of 3 people I know who I trust 100% to work with them safely.

• Locked thread