Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Alright, so progress is being made! Truck officially has a shipper, and will be sent down to djdanno's place in Nebraska.
The move is set to go down this weekend, assuming that the shipper actually has a trailer that's heavy duty enough to pull it down there.

Siochain posted:

ITT I learn that he'll fill the box on his dumptruck with AI Goons wanting to help.

This would be the best.
Why put them in the box? Use GoonPower to haul the truck! :whip:

kastein posted:

Words about fixin'

Yeah, a full replacement of everything rubber is on the agenda. Motor will definitely be replaced, and I'm trying to research which engine bolts in with the least amount of hassle. Once it gets to danno's it'll be easier, since I'll be able to get more accurate information about the engine/trans/whatever. If the old motor's in salvageable I'll hang on to it and sell it later.

I plan on replacing everything on the front brakes, springs, shoes, drums cylinders, and will probably do the same to the rears as well.
And also I'd like to change it over to a dual master cylinder, 'cause this thing ain't a stoppin' easily if anything fails.

Electrical I'm not too concerned about, because 50's car wiring. As long as the lights work I'm happy. It'll just be a 12V conversion, and that shouldn't be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExplodingSims posted:

Alright, so progress is being made! Truck officially has a shipper, and will be sent down to djdanno's place in Nebraska.

Mildly disappointed that I won't get to participate, but I'm still along for the (virtual) ride! Good luck!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sorry dude, but shipping costs to Nebraska are $$$. Compared to $$$$to hauling to Ohio.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, gently caress you and your big dumb truck I completely understand. No biggie. :)

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
Truck of Longinus

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Sorry dude, but shipping costs to Nebraska are $$$. Compared to $$$$to hauling to Ohio.

Just pack 14 away in the truck as it is getting shipped. Now he's a mobile mechanic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Have you played the Mad Max game? I can fully picture 14" climbing around the back, muttering prayers to the Angel of Combustion.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 4, 2016

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
See about vacuum booster installs as well.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Siochain posted:

ITT I learn that he'll fill the box on his dumptruck with AI Goons wanting to help.

This would be the best.

A truck driving across America with a bed full of AI goons drinking and talking poo poo posting to this forum on their phones a la a modern version of that bit from Kerouac's On The Road. :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Astonishing Wang posted:

It looks to me like if they'd placed the dummy about 6" from the cage it wouldn't have been touched by the cage. 6" makes a huge difference in this case. Usually I'm arguing that 4" is decent but today it's 6".

Good username for this post.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
I don't have PMS on this account so anyone wanting to talk details about the truck can text me 408 499 1357

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Have you checked parts availability drums might be a problem.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man this thread got wicked awesome. I so wish I could participate since all I do is mess with old trucks but I just got super busy with work. Seconding the drums availability, they're like the only thing I cant find for my IH but they seriously have like an inch around the rim so if the Chevy ones are similar they should be turnable for a long time.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, no actual work will be happening for a while, so if you want to make plans there's plenty of room for more hands.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I may not be able to fly out and help, but give me any specifics and I'll tear into the catalogs at work for part numbers and such so you can order poo poo in and have it waiting for you when you land.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Well it would be like end of November for me. Might be kinda chilly in Nebraska at that time with a truck where a heater was an option, haha.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I can confirm explodingsims has given money to a complete stranger he met on the Internet. Thread continues to live up to its title lol. Hopefully truck will be here soon and I'll take plenty of pics to send to exploding.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This is crazy and I can't see it ending well, but godspeed. Why the hell didn't you just get it shipped to Florida? Just for the experience?

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

Larrymer posted:

This is crazy and I can't see it ending well, but godspeed. Why the hell didn't you just get it shipped to Florida? Just for the experience?

I don't understand the question being asked

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Larrymer posted:

Do you have any idea how much that would cost? I'm not going to say how much exploding spent on getting it here but let's just say it wasn't 20 bucks.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Larrymer posted:

Die Rose ist ohne warum; sie blühet weil sie blühet.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Yond Cassius posted:

Die Rose ist ohne warum; sie blühet weil sie blühet.

A rare phrase that is beautiful in both English and German.

(and: nice. :golfclap: Well-chosen quote)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

djdanno13 posted:

Do you have any idea how much that would cost? I'm not going to say how much exploding spent on getting it here but let's just say it wasn't 20 bucks.

Oh I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. But buying everything this truck needs to be road worthy up front may be a little more hard to swallow vs. a one time shipping cost. Multiple plane tickets, getting parts that you don't even know you need yet in a town you're not from? Too many unknowns for me.

I'm automotive sanity, don't mind me. :haw:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Go back to bfc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wish I was closer, I'd love to help on that thing.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

Larrymer posted:

Oh I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. But buying everything this truck needs to be road worthy up front may be a little more hard to swallow vs. a one time shipping cost. Multiple plane tickets, getting parts that you don't even know you need yet in a town you're not from? Too many unknowns for me.

I'm automotive sanity, don't mind me. :haw:

You're right, I'll drive the Civic out there instead :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Garbage Dick posted:

You're right, I'll drive the Civic out there instead :v:

Drive the camaro. I bet a rust free one of those is worth more there than in WA, even with a v6 and bad paint.
I'm semi serious.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
Camaro has to get sold to pay for storage and rent and other odds and ends or I would, it'd make it loaded with tools no problem.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

WHEN WE LAST LEFT OUR HERO:

It was rusting away in a field in the middle of nowhere!

But as of today, this is no more! :siren: PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE :siren:

Yes, now it's rusting away in a slightly different field in the middle of nowhere!
Big thanks to Djdanno for hosting the truck. It was shipped out to his place today, and this will be the site of the repairening
Still waiting on some new pics of it, but we get some updates:

Free bottle of oil! Score!
Old engine is there, but according to danno, is pretty trashed, much to no one's surprise.
No brakes on this thing either, again, no shocker there.

Tire are there, and appear to be ok, but I wouldn't trust them on the road.

And a first ever look into the bed!

Free plywood? Today is a loving haul!

Upskirt shot:

Again, there will be more later, but for the most part, the body looks pretty solid. Some rust in the usual places, floorboards, around the edges, but for the most part it looks like it's mostly just surface rust.
A few dents and dings as well, but overall in pretty great shape for a farm truck of it's age.

Cheby

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

hail satan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So much block for so little piston...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where do I mail my jar of change to help fund this?

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Where do I mail my jar of change to help fund this?

The last house on the left. Postman'll make sure it gets where it needs to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I would campervan that poo poo so hard, and probably try to make it look like a hillbilly cabin as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is patina staying or will this be getting a top down overhaul?

Also this was my first thought. Sex dungeon/torture chamber in a truck bed. We have such sights to show you...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

88h88 posted:

Is patina staying or will this be getting a top down overhaul?

Also this was my first thought. Sex dungeon/torture chamber in a truck bed. We have such sights to show you...

Yeah, once it eventually gets back to Florida the plan is to do full resto-mod on it. But that's a while out.

I do plan to save the drivers side door at least, since I've give 14" the go ahead to use it as a canvas for his special flavor of artistic vision.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Be careful with the progression, each decision must be worse than the last... don't wanna blow your wad up front unless you have that kind of staying power.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Be careful with the progression, each decision must be worse than the last... don't wanna blow your wad up front unless you have that kind of staying power.

Hi, nice to meat you.

God drat it I can't wait.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I explained this thread to my wife the other day and she was absolutely blown away at the levels of crazy going on here.

:v:: So this dude that lives in Florida bought a truck sight unseen in Montana.
:j:: Is he going to drive it back?
:v:: No, another guy volunteered some storage space in Nebraska so he's having it shipped there first.
:j:: And then drive it from there?
:v:: Eventually, but it's pretty old so he's gonna swap in a new engine first and then drive it back. Another guy is coming in from Washington to help.
:j:: Wait, he's flying in just to help fix an old truck?
:v:: Well, to fix it and then help drive it down to Florida. But another guy's gonna fly him down with miles, actually.
:j:: Do these guys know each other?
:v:: Not really. Just on the forums.
:j:: :stare:

I love this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This will be 14 Inch Garbage Weiner's "On The Road"

• Locked thread