Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I support the two stroke Detroit with a dual shifter box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

8.1l vortec. With a blower.

Edit: Lemme specify, a blower on each bank of cylinders. :getin:

I like the cut of your jib. This thing is so big there could be turbos attached as well as superchargers.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

djdanno13 posted:

Just saying, if this guy can drive a 90 year old motorcycle across the nation diagonally then a Chevy dump should be no problem!

That's got my FIL beat. His summer driver is a 1947 Knucklehead. Even takes it to Maine (from near Albany NY) every summer too.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

5&4s are heavy, hard to find and a horrendous pain to operate. The novelty would wear off quickly. I like the Eaton Synchro 6 in trucks like these.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
But this truck is in Nebraska, where I'm sure old Massey Fergussons are common and he could probably find a perkins mated to a hydrostatic transmission. Then there'd be 4 pedals and two sticks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

5&4s are heavy, hard to find and a horrendous pain to operate. The novelty would wear off quickly. I like the Eaton Synchro 6 in trucks like these.

Stop ruining my fantasies.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Fermented Tinal posted:

But this truck is in Nebraska, where I'm sure old Massey Fergussons are common and he could probably find a perkins mated to a hydrostatic transmission. Then there'd be 4 pedals and two sticks.

Then lets throw in a 2 speed rear end as well.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A truck like this needs an Allison Super10.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

A truck like this needs an Allison Super10.

:getout:

lazy 10s are for OTR truckers.

No less than 13 holes, non syncrod.

E: but for a DD2T you'd want a trans that likes to rev. 13/15/18 isn't gonna put up with your poo poo. dump truck 9s might though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Veeb0rg posted:

By the time we're done, this truck is going to have so many pedals, sticks, and knobs.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

By the time we're done, this truck is going to have so many pedals, sticks, and knobs.

Well a period-correct 4-wheel-drive setup might have a lever for drive select and another for range select, so we could have 5 levers (assuming one for the parking brake). Ideally it should be so convoluted to operate that you can just leave it running in the bad part of town without worrying about anyone stealing it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fermented Tinal posted:

You can get OX lockers too. Just sayin'.

OX lockers are cable actuated

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Fermented Tinal posted:

You sir have not seen how many knobs levers and pedals are already in there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tommychu posted:

I know where I can get an Eaton Fuller FS5106-A for $250 with what's likely a #3 bellhousing. Not sure how we'd get it closer to the truck though, since it's in the northwest, is going to the southeast, and I'm in the northeast.

Also it sounds like you guys want to make this truck into a pipe organist's wet dream.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You guys aren't thinking outside the box. Not enough fan blades.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lycoming+t53

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This truck shall be my career's swan song

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So 4 pedals and 6 sticks for the driver, full organ keyboard for the passenger driving the nitromethane-powered organ in the bed?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
With 14 chained to the grill wailing on guitar.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Seconded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

Now that's a war rig.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

rndmnmbr posted:

I call shotgun.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Wow. This thread is going places (And not just cornfields in the middle of nowhere!)

Ok so everyone who wants to add sticks and levers and pedals, I should remind you that this is the existing setup:

Veeb0rg posted:

This was a factory option. (At least on the 6400 series. Which it turns out this is not)
Decoding the vin revealed a terrible secret. This is not in fact a 6400 as I was lead to believe, but a 4400. Minor difference, but basically the same truck in the end.

And here's some more pics of the engine cause I don't have any real progress of which to speak so far.

Lookit them linkages!

And djdanno was nice enough to brave the underside of the truck to get some shots of it:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

This truck shall be my career's swan song

You must make it to Orlando, for here, your chariot lies sleeping, awaiting your arrival:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Well it's got a standard driveshaft, so that's nice :shobon:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You have to keep the parking brake setup exactly as it is.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So you wanna look trendy. . . :whatup:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

You have to keep the parking brake setup exactly as it is.

If only to avoid the mesothelioma. I imagine you have to adjust it every time you have to pull the lever, and replace the shoe if you ever make the mistake of pulling it while moving. Looks way more serviceable than the modern ones though.

Standard driveline is a very good sign.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So since I don't have to worry about rent, a couple hundred bucks in side jobs will handle the rest of my storage and bills.

How does AI feel about throwing in on a guzzoline fund for the last of the V6 Interceptors loaded with every last tool I can fit.

Book time says 20 hours to Nebraska.

Bet I can beat it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

14 BAR RIFF posted:

So since I don't have to worry about rent, a couple hundred bucks in side jobs will handle the rest of my storage and bills.

How does AI feel about throwing in on a guzzoline fund for the last of the V6 Interceptors loaded with every last tool I can fit.

Bet I can beat it.

14" Kowalski

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Eh, it's basically a Challenger, close enough

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Bet I can beat it.

In.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Bet I can beat it.

In.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I mean since the plane ticket was already out there, the war rig needs a pursuit special. It's yin and yang, death and taxes, icy terror and raging hard ons, it just feels right.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fukken sold.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Awesome thread, eagerly following. My vote would be for a Caterpillar 3126 and a 9 speed Eaton Fuller :banjo:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I mean since the plane ticket was already out there, the war rig needs a pursuit special. It's yin and yang, death and taxes, icy terror and raging hard ons, it just feels right.
The plane tickets were gonna be purchased by someone's frequent flier miles, but the idea of having a pursuit special is far, far better.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Bet I can beat it.

You have my axe. Or some cash. Either/or.

Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
So what part of Nebraska did this beast end up in? I am in St.Pete, Florida and find myself considering a road trip to act as a chase vehicle... Filming the epic journey on my go pro..
I am riding a 2001 Crown Vic (retired cop special) so it can haul large amounts of tools or people should the need arise..

Either way, I look forward to seeing where this goes!

Canned Ham Radio fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 19, 2016

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Clearly the best choice for a chase vehicle is this. Also bonus Massey Harris action.

Everything is in Valentine NE right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just let me know how to donate

• Locked thread