Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

I like the opening song it is distinctive

I like it and the characters and the art way more than I like the premise tho

This seems to be Trigger's thing: amazing art style and direction, less than stellar storytelling. Little Witch Academia notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
drat. I think ep. 5 just sold me on the rest of the series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This show is too pretty. I just adore staring at it while the characters talk and see how the animation complements the concept at hand.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm expecting them to be more like formerly human.

Even worse, they're part-timers.

Maki constantly hearing "Maki, break.." makes me think she might have been bullied (and maybe even physically tortured?) and when she finally resisted, it might have ended in her tormentors death.
She didn't join the others in the bath and she made weird comparisons to her breasts and boils in her face when hitting on Yuta.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It ain't exactly subtle, but i like it.

gifs, assorted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/3ujl.mp4

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wasnt too crazy about the first episode or two, but this series is good af

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Hisomu and Nico are probably going to be our fourth couple (given how everyone else is paired off)? That'll be quite something.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is a really good show

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Stand-out moments from this episode:

-Hisomu comparing Takashiro's pain to the power level of a Saibaman
-Takashiro getting upset over Katsuhira referring to Noriko as Nori-chan
-Katsuhira to Noriko: "I'm disappointed in you. I didn't know I could feel like this, but I am. Welp, bye."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The visual cues on this show are amazing, i'm guessing the focus on the camera lens is a way of forcibly taking Maki's light when a lot of the show is about people "reflecting" the lights of others.

I am super ready for Tenga to actually like Chidori, they're sharing pain now but I'm guessing they'll share some kinds of joy by the last few episodes and that'll show who feels what for whom.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I wonder just how autobiographical that manga was...

All the hints point towards Ruru committing suicide and Maki blaming herself for it. I'm guessing the actual events were similar to the manga, but it seems like Ruru was in love with Maki, who couldn't reciprocate her feelings. Somehow that might have gotten out and Ruru was being bullied for it?

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tarezax posted:

I wonder just how autobiographical that manga was...

That's why I'm not exactly eager to leap on board the train eager to pair Maki with Yuta, considering a key part of that story is a girl forcing herself into a relationship with a boy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's why I'm not exactly eager to leap on board the train eager to pair Maki with Yuta, considering a key part of that story is a girl forcing herself into a relationship with a boy.

As I recall, it was Ruru who was the main driving force of the manga. So it was her dropping the heavy hints about her sexuality.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The last couple of episodes of this have picked up quite considerably.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think the start of this episode is the first time you ever see that bridge lowered. I wonder if that's symbolic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

As I recall, it was Ruru who was the main driving force of the manga. So it was her dropping the heavy hints about her sexuality.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Yuta makes the association between what Maki did in episode 5 and the manga' story himself. He is the "boyfriend" in this equation. That has implications about Maki's sexuality given she's effectively playing the role of the main character in the manga.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

-Katsuhira to Noriko: "I'm disappointed in you. I didn't know I could feel like this, but I am. Welp, bye."

This was super good. I was surprised to see him develop a spine this early into the series.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Do we know for sure how many episodes this is going to be?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Do we know for sure how many episodes this is going to be?

It feels like a one-cour show.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

this really seems like the sort of show that really should only have one season, less they wear out the welcome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Not the best source, but wikipedia has this listed as one season, so I'd assume it's one-cour unless they announce a second one.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I have not been putting as much thought into this as some of you have, but this is a very good show. Thanks for reading.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This show. :allears: Best band of losers ever

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I thought this episode was absolutely gorgeous. So many fantastic shots.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It's not something that normally ever gets mentioned after the first episode of a show, but it really cannot be stated enough just how gorgeous this anime is. There's something about the use of colors and style that just looks so good to me. It might seriously be the best looking animation I've seen.

One cour is 12-13 episodes right? I think the show could afford to be closer in the 20s considering how much is still left open/unexplained about the world and the experiment itself. Its hard to say though without really knowing where the show is heading.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So It Goes posted:

One cour is 12-13 episodes right? I think the show could afford to be closer in the 20s considering how much is still left open/unexplained about the world and the experiment itself. Its hard to say though without really knowing where the show is heading.

It'll probably take a sudden left turn and escalate into inexplicable insanity in the last 4 episodes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I really liked the switching between the manga pages and the real scene with Maki and Ruru. It's a cool way to add tension to a scene with little character movement.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

I love these goobers so much.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat youthank you, mari okada
:arghfist::cry:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 22, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

This show is loving awesome

Can't wait to see Tenga fall into the abyss of love next week though

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol yuta runs like a girl

also, thats totally katsuhira in the old photo with sonozaki. im happy for tenga

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Guess I was wrong about the cause of death.

The feels though...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked this episode. i like this show

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
So I'm enjoying this story, but I can't really see why it needed to be animated. By Trigger of all studios even.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the animation is super nice in this show though, just cause it's a character drama and there's no fight scenes doesn't mean that's not true

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

.Clash posted:

So I'm enjoying this story, but I can't really see why it needed to be animated. By Trigger of all studios even.

because it looks really pretty

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I've been running hot and cold on this show overall but these last two episodes (especially this last one) have been really really good. The show loses me a bit when it dives into goofy stuff like a lot of the training camp, but when it pulls out some sincere character drama it is pretty great. And yeah it is ridiculously pretty and well-directed.

.Clash posted:

What does that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That was a beautiful, beautiful episode. I'm really loving this, the last three episodes stepped it up hard. I also gotta say, while the OP song isn't my favorite of the season, the OP as a total package is one of my all-time favorites. The part at the end with the characters disappearing into Katsuhira's eye left me breathless the first time I saw it with all the Kiznaivers.

These last few episodes have been gorgeously directed with tons of atmosphere and I was super into Ruru and Maki's past and story. Can't wait to learn more about the others.

A little thing I seriously appreciate is that the characters actually own a lot of outfits. I notice it most with Chidori, she always seems to have something different on. I think Hisomu is the only one who wears generally the same clothes all the time. Even Nico has some variation. It's just a nice visual touch that keeps it interesting.

• Locked thread