Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the episode was good, actually

the hook at the end was a bit awkward, though. i hope they can land the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Empathy is the best thing. Lets see where this goes but I'm digging it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Sandman posted:

In this episode, a bunch of teenagers learn what empathy is and then Nori-chan ruins everything.

Yeah, It kind of pulled me out of the show when they implied that they had no concept of empathy whatsoever. Are they all sociopaths?

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, It kind of pulled me out of the show when they implied that they had no concept of empathy whatsoever. Are they all sociopaths?

I think it's more of the "stop being dumb self-centered teens and remember that other people have feelings, too" than any indication of sociopathy. Chidori's realization that the world doesn't spin around her and her little childhood crush alone came really late in the game but I'm really glad it came at all.

One could say the Kizuna System was a total success in a way: the kids aren't reading each others' minds, but they sure as hell have more capacity to understand each other and what's hurting them. Spreading that worldwide doesn't seem like a totally horrible idea! But I somehow have a nagging feeling Nori-chan's gonna do something really stupid just to make sure the Kizuna System people remain the bad guys of the show instead of "the bad guys who, despite a failure at first, actually had the right idea all along".

This episode got me around to really liking Nico, though. FINALLY, AN ANIME CHARACTER ENCOURAGING THAT PEOPLE TALK WITH ONE ANOTHER INSTEAD OF SITTING IN SILENCE AND PLAYING GUESSING GAMES! :allears: We sure need more of those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I think it's more that the Kizna System caused them to temporarily forget how empathy works, given that they've spent months sharing each other's pain in the most literal sense.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Empathy... the ultimate superpower...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hisomu: literal background noise

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

I almost forgot and now i'm laughing again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he was wavering a bit a couple episodes earlier but he is back to being very cool, i'm glad they didn't end up making him more antagonistic in some way like episode 9 kind of started doing

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Empathy... the ultimate superpower...

Showing those GAINAX roots with that, eh? Congratulations!

I hope this show ends well; it's been one of my favorites this year. Great opening credits, good end credits, stylishly drawn and directed. I like all the characters. Don't let me down Trigger!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

nico's childish email was real good.

i don't think i'm going to enjoy the last episode. we're probably going to be watching nori's coup for most of it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's more that the Kizna System caused them to temporarily forget how empathy works, given that they've spent months sharing each other's pain in the most literal sense.

That makes sense but I can't shake the feeling that it was just a really ham-fisted "people don't care about others feelings anymore" thing

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Eej posted:

That makes sense but I can't shake the feeling that it was just a really ham-fisted "people don't care about others feelings anymore" thing

Japanese media and fiction have explored the subject quite a bit before, for example see most Sion Sono movies.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Eej posted:

agreed. D Walrus' interpretation is more compelling, but i think it is also much too charitable.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

There Bias Two posted:

They're all teenagers.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

point of return posted:

They're all teenagers.

yeah but if we accept that as an argument everything falls apart. it's a slippery self-involved slope.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't wait to see Katsuhira dismantle Sonozaki's entire plan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

with a pin point surgical hand holding, hug or possibly even a kiss

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Hisomu is a surprisingly good friend.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Personally, I can suspend my disbelief that these kids were picked precisely because for whatever reason they have little to no concept of empathy, it is the point of the experiment after all. What would be the point of inflicting the system on characters who already have a healthy or socially positive idea of empathy?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

blankd posted:

Personally, I can suspend my disbelief that these kids were picked precisely because for whatever reason they have little to no concept of empathy, it is the point of the experiment after all. What would be the point of inflicting the system on characters who already have a healthy or socially positive idea of empathy?

It kinda fits too, I mean... we do know that almost every person who was picked is abnormal, disliked by other people, and not known to have many friends.

Katushira is obvious why he would count.

Tenga has to constantly project being tough, and is notable for never letting anyone in close to him before the Kiznaiver project. Even when he starts to like someone else, look at how he acts - he completely ignores how devastated Nico is, because he doesn't care about her in particular.

Yuta literally only sees people as their outward appearances, and judges himself off the same thing, extending this to 'my only two non-Kiznaiver 'friends' are such so I look good'

Honoka is unable to connect to people after being utterly crushed by losing someone she loved, she avoids any sort of attachment and (forces herself to) view others as a waste of time. As soon as things start going bad, she goes right back to that.

Nico is entirely 100% focused on her own self - she changed her image for her own benefit, she acts how she does because she thinks it's good for her, she completely misses what is actually important for friends to have, and never has had a friend. (She probably changes during the show the most, thus far)

Chidori apparently has no friends besides Katushira? Like seriously, she is obsessed with this one person, and is 100% unable to cope with the idea that he might not love her back. Nothing else matters to her up until now.

Hisomu really doesn't need much elaborating on. He was more than willing to subject every single one of the Kiznaivers to pain, for his own enjoyment. He even started enjoying feeling their emotional pain.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 21, 2016

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I think Tenga's actually just not sure how to respond to the idea of someone liking him; he seemed pretty torn up about it when he brought the issue up w/ Chidori

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i would have really liked if the show had given every character as much exploration as it did honoka because i feel like she's the only one who got proper fleshing out as a person, you can sort of infer things about everyone else but they aren't given nearly as much focus so i don't think you can get as strong of a connection with who they are as you could with honks and it's a real shame because her episodes were so loving good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Considering that Maki got 3 episodes to herself, this show could have used a second cour. But I guess that would have required Sonozaki to ruthlessly target each of their weaknesses in turn with Katsuhira becoming increasingly disillusioned with her each time. So, the lack of in-depth development for most of the cast was probably a way to salvage Sonozaki's character.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Watch as the only comeuppance Sonozaki ever gets is an epic hug

Perhaps it will be in slow-motion

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Colonel posted:

tbh i would have really liked if the show had given every character as much exploration as it did honoka because i feel like she's the only one who got proper fleshing out as a person, you can sort of infer things about everyone else but they aren't given nearly as much focus so i don't think you can get as strong of a connection with who they are as you could with honks and it's a real shame because her episodes were so loving good

I dunno, I think it works that some characters' issues just aren't as deep as others. Yuta and Nico didn't need crazy interventions to deal with their problems. They're usually the two who try hardest to smooth everything over with the others. Tenga lacks self-confidence and fakes it, and Chidori was blind to her own selfishness, but as people have said, this is normal teen stuff. Hisomu seems perfectly content with his situation. Katsuhira and Honoka were the two who had the most severe troubles in their pasts, so it makes sense they would get more of a focus than the rest. Like, as lovely as it is to play "My trauma was worse than your trauma!" there's a pretty clear difference between "fat kid who lost weight but is still sensitive about it and kind of vain" and "my best friend died and i rejected her even though it was absolutely mutual because i wanted to protect myself from the pain of losing her."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Watch as the only comeuppance Sonozaki ever gets is an epic hug

Perhaps it will be in slow-motion

That's fine, the best girl should be immune to consequences

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's fine, the best girl should be immune to consequences

I bet Katsuhira is even gonna apologize

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TriffTshngo posted:

I dunno, I think it works that some characters' issues just aren't as deep as others. Yuta and Nico didn't need crazy interventions to deal with their problems. They're usually the two who try hardest to smooth everything over with the others. Tenga lacks self-confidence and fakes it, and Chidori was blind to her own selfishness, but as people have said, this is normal teen stuff. Hisomu seems perfectly content with his situation. Katsuhira and Honoka were the two who had the most severe troubles in their pasts, so it makes sense they would get more of a focus than the rest. Like, as lovely as it is to play "My trauma was worse than your trauma!" there's a pretty clear difference between "fat kid who lost weight but is still sensitive about it and kind of vain" and "my best friend died and i rejected her even though it was absolutely mutual because i wanted to protect myself from the pain of losing her."

I don't really buy that. I'm having trouble really putting it into words, but I feel like just because Honoka and Katsuhira have the biggest trauma doesn't mean that they should be the only ones who have their personalities and insecurities explored. The rest of the cast might have comparatively insignificant reasons for behaving the way they do, for why Nico apparently thinks she's a genius and why she thinks being a genius means she has to act like a crazy girl who believes in pixies, for why Tenga is ridiculously insecure and deathly loving terrified of dogs, for why Chidori is so goddamn fixated on Katsuhira, but I still feel like exploring those reasons would be anything but a waste of time because the characters are the strongest part of the show, and all that seeing those small parts of the characters would do is give you a deeper connection with who they are, and a greater understanding of how it plays into the dynamics they have with other members of the cast.

That, and it's also that the alternative to character building and exploration was the conspiracy plotline, and I actually think the conspiracy plotline is... kind of bad. It's so far disconnected from the main cast, it's not something that really affects them on a personal level when you get down to it. Sure, it does cause the people running the experiment to really try and push them to get results, which creates drama, but I really don't think they needed to spend nearly as much time on it as they did. I've still enjoyed the show, but thinking about everything up to this point I've kind of realized that every part where I felt less interested in what was going on was always a part where they were focusing on everything behind the scenes with the Kiznaiver experiment, instead of the people who are actually being subjected to it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

I don't really buy that. I'm having trouble really putting it into words, but I feel like just because Honoka and Katsuhira have the biggest trauma doesn't mean that they should be the only ones who have their personalities and insecurities explored. The rest of the cast might have comparatively insignificant reasons for behaving the way they do, for why Nico apparently thinks she's a genius and why she thinks being a genius means she has to act like a crazy girl who believes in pixies, for why Tenga is ridiculously insecure and deathly loving terrified of dogs, for why Chidori is so goddamn fixated on Katsuhira, but I still feel like exploring those reasons would be anything but a waste of time because the characters are the strongest part of the show, and all that seeing those small parts of the characters would do is give you a deeper connection with who they are, and a greater understanding of how it plays into the dynamics they have with other members of the cast.

also hisomu (is that even his name lol) has done basically nothing so far.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

also hisomu (is that even his name lol) has done basically nothing so far.

Yeah, Hisomu's frustrating because he plays off the rest of the cast so well in terms of personality, but he's also kind of inconsistent in whether or not he's a cool, if weird friend, or kind of an rear end in a top hat who hates feeling good and enjoys feeling other Kiznaivers' grief. He's kind of flip-flopped between that once or twice as the writing has demanded and it just comes off as really weirdly inconsistent character writing, and I think the show treating his saying "hey, we don't ALL have traumatic pasts" as an excuse to not have to tell you anything about him right up to the second-to-last episode is kind of an irritating cop-out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Better to be like Hisomu in that you're largely inoffensive and can serve the plot regardless than perennially annoying like Chidori or basically non-existent like Yuta or Maki.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Better to be like Hisomu in that you're largely inoffensive and can serve the plot regardless than perennially annoying like Chidori or basically non-existent like Yuta or Maki.

Maki is a better character than Hisomu. She might have less presence in big plot events, but she's actually consistent and fleshed-out. A character who feels inconsistent in ways that aren't intentional is worse.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, Hisomu's frustrating because he plays off the rest of the cast so well in terms of personality, but he's also kind of inconsistent in whether or not he's a cool, if weird friend, or kind of an rear end in a top hat who hates feeling good and enjoys feeling other Kiznaivers' grief. He's kind of flip-flopped between that once or twice as the writing has demanded and it just comes off as really weirdly inconsistent character writing, and I think the show treating his saying "hey, we don't ALL have traumatic pasts" as an excuse to not have to tell you anything about him right up to the second-to-last episode is kind of an irritating cop-out.

It's true. He's... around, and I'm not so sure what the point is besides his hilarious introduction. But he's constantly alluded to, he got a unique way in to the Kiznaiver deal, and every so often he drops weird lines while just consistently being where the main plot is at... I don't trust that guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing the long con, somehow, and do something with the Kiznaiver system. Because otherwise he's just weirdly passive and in the background.

I'm gonna be so pissed if the show ends with him just saying "And now I've learned to connect to people! :haw: " and that's it. That would be a terrible waste, he's fun.

I'm basically watching the show for Tenga, Nico, sleepmask dude and the constant dread of Hisomu being relevant

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The opening single is (finally) out, it's a maxi and beyond the title track it's quite psychedelic. The OP is great as used in the show, but I'm not sure if I'll be listening to the single mix much.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

(Sorry if this has been mentioned before) I'm honestly sure that's a 100% intentional japanese joke.
Hisomu(日染) is his name and the verb 潜む(Hisomu) means to submerge/be concealed, so they probably took that pun and ran with it.

The last line of this episode made me immediately think "So is Nori now the new Kyuubei?"

e: How many episodes is this series supposed to be?

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 23, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

12. so get ready to be thoroughly satisfied on saturday.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 23, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That episode was pretty balls

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, that was a conclusion for sure. Wish things had ramped up quite a bit more, tho. Wasn't bad but on the whole I think the show was an 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least the right girl won the Kachonball even if the worst girl won the Kaminabowl

• Locked thread