Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bobo the Red posted:

Arthur Dayne died trying to stop someone from seeing his dying sister.

Also, to prevent anyone from murdering Rhaegar's heir.

I mean, Ned wouldn't have done so regardless, but Dayne didn't know that. Robert clearly would have without question.

Alhazred posted:

And he didn't stab the mad king when he burned Eddard's father and brother because then he would actually risk something by doing the right thing.

I feel like there's a difference between two Northern lords and 500,000 random people. 500,000 people seems like a place where someone might draw a line where previously they hadn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Xealot posted:

Also, to prevent anyone from murdering Rhaegar's heir.

I mean, Ned wouldn't have done so regardless, but Dayne didn't know that. Robert clearly would have without question.

I feel like there's a difference between two Northern lords and 500,000 random people. 500,000 people seems like a place where someone might draw a line where previously they hadn't.

500,000 people and his father's head. I think it was more ordering Tywin's death that forced his hand more than anything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tooterfish posted:

Not technically. If you don't recover from the ceremony, you're not the king.

Probably lots of brain damage though.

skasion posted:

The thing is, in both cases Jaime and the Hound's revolt against social convention is portrayed as insane and destructive to themselves and others. It's self-righteous nihilism fueled by murder. "Haha I killed a whole bunch of people society says I probably shouldn't have, this makes me morally superior to the sheeple who stood by while somebody else killed some people society says they probably shouldn't have". This is not a super hot take on how to behave.

OTOH, I don't think we're supposed to see Jaime's act in that context as a negative one. I always felt that the narrative was asking us to think about how insane it was that most of the characters we though of as good would consider what he did to be *worse* than killing King Hitler before he could kill everyone.

So much so that I imagined that Brienne's arc in the book was leading up to a similar choice that she was going to have to make, thus sort of legitimizing Jaime's choice.

Sadly, Martin died before finishing another book in the year 2032.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
We're not supposed to see Jaime as a wholly negative or positive figure. His act to kill Aerys saves thousands of people from dying, but it's also an act of self-interest. He goes on to gently caress his sister a whole lot and throw an innocent child out a window. His alienation from the morals of his society gives him a great perspective on its hypocrisy, but also blinds him to his own badness and selfishness.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Alhazred posted:

And he didn't stab the mad king when he burned Eddard's father and brother because then he would actually risk something by doing the right thing.

Pretty sure a bunch of people wanted to punish him for what he did. There was certainly risk.

Regardless, he was the youngest Kingsguard. He had seen the least of the Mad King's evil. He acted to stop it, none of the "honorable" ones ever did. They just enabled the rapes and the murders for decades for the sake of their honor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

We're not supposed to see Jaime as a wholly negative or positive figure. His act to kill Aerys saves thousands of people from dying, but it's also an act of self-interest. He goes on to gently caress his sister a whole lot and throw an innocent child out a window. His alienation from the morals of his society gives him a great perspective on its hypocrisy, but also blinds him to his own badness and selfishness.

Probably the best part of Jamie is that he is not blind to his badness and selfishness. He will straight up tell you he's bad and selfish, especially if he knows it will annoy you. Duty in Game of Thrones is about more than what's "just."

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

skasion posted:

The whole concept of the kingsguard as moral exemplars and perfect knights is meant to evoke this kind of moral problem: is it better to unquestioningly serve the guy you swore to serve even if he's a horrible bastard, or better to betray your word and your honor, taking advantage of his trust, to murder the guy you serve because he's a horrible bastard?
Oh no. The way the dilemma is presented in the books, especially in Barristan's case, it is "is it *more moral* to serve the bastard who repeatedly maritally rapes his wife, but to whom I swore an oath, or to kill him?" And we're even supposed to commiserate with Barristan as he mulls on it and is unsure about it.

Except that in reality, as a dilemma, it's actually pretty vacuous, because "but I swore an oath!/ had orders" is simply a variant on the Nuremberg defense. So we have a functioning solution to it already. This makes GRRM's mulling via Barristan pretty pointless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jaime is HBO character incarnate.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Jaime is HBO character incarnate.

Jamie: "What the gently caress did I do?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Pretty sure a bunch of people wanted to punish him for what he did. There was certainly risk.

Jaime knew that his dad, the most powerful man in Westeros, was at the gate. There wasn't any risk of anyone punishing Jaime.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
A reminder that HBO wanted this show to go basically forever. It's D&D who run the show and go 'hey maybe 73 episodes is more than enough for us! :)'

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Good. Networks running poo poo into the ground is the worst.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lycus posted:

Good. Networks running poo poo into the ground is the worst.

You can never run tits and dragons into the ground. I will watch them forever.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, and blowing up half the cast in a single episode is surely the creative direction the show needed.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Blowing up half the cast and killing one by proxy made the Iron Throne relevant to the overall narrative again, which is something I didn't actually see coming.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Apoplexy posted:

half the cast

What will this show be without tremendously important characters like Kevan Lannister, Nervous Noble #4, and Sneering Sparrow #9? Three main characters there alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lycus posted:

What will this show be without tremendously important characters like Kevan Lannister, Nervous Noble #4, and Sneering Sparrow #9? Three main characters there alone.

Everyone in KL of note except Cersei, Jaime, Gregor, and Qyburn is dead.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

In other words, the important characters are still alive and a couple mid-tier characters and a few minor characters are dead. Half the cast.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Jaime knew that his dad, the most powerful man in Westeros, was at the gate. There wasn't any risk of anyone punishing Jaime.
Not even that. By the point the Mad King ordered Jaime to kill his father, he'd already entered the city and was in the process of sacking it AFAIK.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Killing MARGAERY TYRELL, THE HIGH SPARROW, LORAS TYRELL, MACE TYRELL, KEVAN LANNISTER, LANCEL LANNISTER, and GRAND MAESTER PYCELLE all at once was a cute move, but a lovely one when you consider how much each was built up only to be blown up en masse without any real story resolution for most of them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They were all side characters in Cersei's storyline. Murdering them was a part of her and her storyline's development.

Maybe it'll look like half the cast if I use all caps.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 27, 2016

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Apoplexy posted:

Killing MARGAERY TYRELL, THE HIGH SPARROW, LORAS TYRELL, MACE TYRELL, KEVAN LANNISTER, LANCEL LANNISTER, and GRAND MAESTER PYCELLE all at once was a cute move, but a lovely one when you consider how much each was built up only to be blown up en masse without any real story resolution for most of them.

I think the high sparrow literally getting blown up by his own hubris is pretty great, personally.

Margaery seeing through it but still dying though :qq:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Apoplexy posted:

Dying is a resolution too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, and blowing up half the cast in a single episode is surely the creative direction the show needed.
Agreed, completely unironically. The Sept explosion was well foreshadowed too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apoplexy posted:

I have my doubts that Cersei will last to the final season. We're rapidly shifting to the "zombies vs dragons" plot and there's very little she can contribute to in that regard.

Probably she'll be a climactic death interspersed with the Wall falling or something like that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

At this point in the series you can't be surprised that major characters will die randomly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If every major character gets neat closure before they die it wouldn't have had any impact when cersei loving nukes them because their stories would be over. The fact that cersei got to nuke them right in the middle of their scheming and plots and narratives is what makes it so awesome

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zzulu posted:

If every major character gets neat closure before they die it wouldn't have had any impact when cersei loving nukes them because their stories would be over. The fact that cersei got to nuke them right in the middle of their scheming and plots and narratives is what makes it so awesome

Always bet on black.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The destruction of the Sept put hatewatchers in a very difficult position. Their task would've been easier of it had been another "bad pussy" instead, but you go to war with the army you have, not the one you want.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

The destruction of the Sept put hatewatchers in a very difficult position. Their task would've been easier of it had been another "bad pussy" instead, but you go to war with the army you have, not the one you want.

What? It just killed off the best characters to make a Mary Sue more powerful for a while.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cersei is not a Mary Sue.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

steinrokkan posted:

What? It just killed off the best characters to make a Mary Sue more powerful for a while.

It's true, I honestly don't know if the show is worth my time without Kevan Lannister or the 20 minutes of screen time each season that Pycelle brings.

The only real loss in that explosion was Margaery, and I don't know how else her story could've ended except with her killing Cersei or dying at her hand.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Lancel was the best character in the show. This show is going such poo poo without him.

He never found the breastplate stretcher.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 28, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Lancel was the best character in the show. This show is going such poo poo without him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdj7wPf2XI

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

ShakeZula posted:

The only real loss in that explosion was Margaery, and I don't know how else her story could've ended except with her killing Cersei or dying at her hand.
The best part of Margaery was Olenna, anyway, and thanks to the explosion, the granny is now on a 'my House is already dead' nihilistic warpath.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why is every strong female character called a Mary Sue now? Did that start with Force Awakens?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LividLiquid posted:

Why is every strong female character called a Mary Sue now? Did that start with Force Awakens?

It was one of the most-complained about recent ones, at least, but far from the first.

Though that one's also an especially ironic one because Luke Skywalker was an actual Mary Sue and most of the complaints about Rey apply to him just as much if not more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it started as soon as the term became widely known

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Grand Meister Pycelle was completely useless, and for that I love him.

"Treason is treason." Finer words were never spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Haha. Probably.

I've said this before but pretty much all Iron Islanders go through the ceremony at least once, so they're probably not the brightest bunch around.

I think there are hints in the books that some don't survive. Unless I'm mistaken, Euron's baptism was the first we've seen on screen though.

There's a "casual" and "hardcore" mode to the the baptism. Theon goes through the former when he comes home in Season 2. Euron underwent the hardcore version in Season 6.

Also the Drowned God Priesthood all know CPR (no, really), which of course comes across as magical/miraculous in the setting and explains why the ritual is widely survivable.

• Locked thread