Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The form of CPR they know/understand is rudimentary at best. Aeron "Damphair" Greyjoy is the only one known to practice it with a near-total rate of survivability. Which implies there's more to it than simply CPR, but that it's also a talent on the level of Thoros of Myr resurrecting someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One more stupid question for people who know moe about GOT than me. Why would Oberyns girlfriend suddenly be in charge of Dorn after assassinating his brother?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

One more stupid question for people who know moe about GOT than me. Why would Oberyns girlfriend suddenly be in charge of Dorn after assassinating his brother?

bad writing

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

NESguerilla posted:

She's the mother of 3 or 4 of Oberyn's children, so she's in a sort of Queen Reagent position to a number of princesses. The palace guard and presumably other officers wanted short term vengeance more than they could tolerate whatever Doran was planning and plotting.

All normality in the rest of Westeros is breaking down, why should Dorne be spared?

Maarak fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 2, 2016

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Maarak posted:

She's the mother of 3 or 4 of Oberyn's children, so she's in a sort of Queen Reagent position to a number of princesses. The palace guard and presumably other officers wanted short term vengeance more than they could tolerate whatever Doran was planning and plotting.

All normality in the rest of Westeros is breaking down, why should Dorne be spared?

Because Dorne was safe and prosperous while the rest burned

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobo the Red posted:

Because Dorne was safe and prosperous while the rest burned

Doran had no social media game. Tyrion made a deal with the devil, but he at least got competent PR people.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

There is no logical reason to it, at least there wasn't any presented in the show. She is just some whore that Oberyn fell in love with and also the mother of some of his many bastard daughters (the inglorious Send Snaks).

If you want, you can imagine in your head canon that she is some noble woman with a distant claim to the Dornish throne or something and that all the other lords in Dorne died from a sudden heat stroke. It's what I do and I turned out fine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bad pussy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty obvious to me that she seized the throne by force at the start of the season.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

When she kills Doran she tells him he's completely out of touch with his people, maybe she's been going around gathering support behind his back. It's plausible, but you have to read between the lines.

I do find it funny that the way it's presented is she just kills the guy sat in the throne, jumps on and shouts "KEEPSIES!". Whereas poor Sansa, who has a much more legitimate claim, had to trek all over the North demanding fealty and getting told to gently caress off. The Starks just can't catch a loving break in this show.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's pretty much how Hitler came to power too, with the only difference being that Hitler didn't stab Hindenburg and Röhm didn't have a whip and belly top.

e: no wait, that's wrong. Hitler spend decades building the NSDAP and he got the power handed to him voluntarily by the parliament. Sorry, my fault.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 2, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

waitwhatno posted:

It's pretty much how Hitler came to power too, with the only difference being that Hitler didn't stab Hindenburg and Röhm didn't have a whip and belly top.

e: no wait, that's wrong. Hitler spend decades building the NSDAP and he got the power handed to him voluntarily by the parliament. Sorry, my fault.

e: oh, guess you haven't read my fanfiction after all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Whereas poor Sansa, who has a much more legitimate claim, had to trek all over the North demanding fealty and getting told to gently caress off. The Starks just can't catch a loving break in this show.

The difference is that the last time a Stark demanded fealty the Northern houses were massacred.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

tooterfish posted:

I do find it funny that the way it's presented is she just kills the guy sat in the throne, jumps on and shouts "KEEPSIES!". Whereas poor Sansa, who has a much more legitimate claim, had to trek all over the North demanding fealty and getting told to gently caress off. The Starks just can't catch a loving break in this show.
I find Dorne funny from Arya's and Brienne's point of view, show *and* book. As in, their stories at the outset are essentially "am woman, want to fight, but this society sucks". Well, why didn't Brienne go to Dorne at any point? Why didn't Ned tell Arya, "Ok, how about this? You will still need to be a highborn lady, but I'll arrange for you a marriage so you can be a highborn lady in Dorne?"

It just feels like Dorne should have a Foreign Legion of ladies from the rest of Westeros.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can't exactly just pick up and move in feudal society because your status is based on land. Brienne is Brienne of Tarth. Arya is Arya Stark of Winterfell. If they aren't in the context of those families and those places, their social role collapses, which is why Arya has been wandering to the ends of the earth as a beggar and Brienne has had to swear her eternal loyalty to the daughter of some lady she knew for like two weeks. In fact the entire series gets going because some dumb rear end lord leaves his home, his castle, and his powerbase behind and goes south to live in a different culture, and promptly gets ruined. For that matter, the Dornish are pretty xenophobic (this doesn't come across quite as much in the show but the fact that they stay isolationist for the entire story to date is based in this) and don't exactly go soliciting bad pussy to come live there. There is also a 0% chance that Ned would marry his kid to a Dornishman.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dorne is way too liberal for people from the rest of Westeros. Like, imagine Ned trying to grasp things like sexual liberty and fluidity, or women not only not being treated like poo poo but actually being equal. He'd be confused and horrified.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

meristem posted:

I find Dorne funny from Arya's and Brienne's point of view, show *and* book. As in, their stories at the outset are essentially "am woman, want to fight, but this society sucks". Well, why didn't Brienne go to Dorne at any point? Why didn't Ned tell Arya, "Ok, how about this? You will still need to be a highborn lady, but I'll arrange for you a marriage so you can be a highborn lady in Dorne?"

It just feels like Dorne should have a Foreign Legion of ladies from the rest of Westeros.
It feels that way if you take Oberyn's commentary about Dornish respect for life and liberty at face value.

But then Ellaria did murder an innocent girl completely out of spite, so pinch of loving salt and all that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ned Stark was the Hank Hill of Westeros.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The difference is that the last time a Stark demanded fealty the Northern houses were massacred.
Yeah, by the Boltons...

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Dorne was married to the throne's cause in the rebellion Ned was at the heart of, so he would have been reluctant to send her so far away into the hands of people he didn't know or trust. Instead of Myrcella being poisoned, it might have been Arya.

Brienne on the other hand could have risen quite high in Dorne, pity about being bound to serve the Baratheons.

efb.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Oh, I can buy the argument that the Dornish themselves are isolationist enough not to want to mix with the rest of Westeros. It just seems funny to me, this disconnect between the fact that Dorne exists and so woman fighters exist in Westeros, and that yet everyone in Arya's and Brienne's stories seems to completely be unaware of that. For example, Ned/Cat/the Stark septa didn't tell Arya "women fighting is for the Dornish, and we aren't Dornish". They told her "highborn ladies don't fight, the end". And Arya herself, despite naming her wolf after a Dornish person, didn't seem to use the argument, either.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It's completely obvious that they are not Dornish and won't behave like the Dornish, it goes without saying.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also the only woman fighters we see from Dorne are bastard children with nothing else going for them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, by the Boltons...

All the more reason to not fight them again.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Maarak posted:

Instead of Myrcella being poisoned, it might have been Arya.

Possible. But Myrcella was a particular target because she was a Lannister. The Martells and Lannisters have been focused enemies for decades because of Elia and her children. I didn't think Dorne had any particular relationship with the North at all, beyond being on opposite sides of the Rebellion.

And as I recall, Ned publicly called out the Mountain as a war criminal, so that actually might've endeared the Starks to them.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

tooterfish posted:

When she kills Doran she tells him he's completely out of touch with his people, maybe she's been going around gathering support behind his back. It's plausible, but you have to read between the lines.

Except the guards loving stopped them the first time. Which means she not only garnered support secretly, she did it with incredible speed. Which shouldn't be surprising, given how the Sand Snakes somehow got on Jaime's boat.

And again, their chief grievance was the unavenged deaths of their ruling family. Dorne is otherwise prosperous while Westeros burns. So the premise has to be that they all so deeply loved Oberyn that they decided not only Doran, but also his son deserved to die for not immediately dragging them into a war. They were not loyal to the Martells, but to Oberyn himself (but not enough to not betray everything he believed in). It was stupid enough for the Sand Snakes to act that way; having essentially all of Dorne join in is maddeningly nonsensical, and by far the shittiest writing on the show.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobo the Red posted:

Except the guards loving stopped them the first time. Which means she not only garnered support secretly, she did it with incredible speed. Which shouldn't be surprising, given how the Sand Snakes somehow got on Jaime's boat.

Consider from the POV of the guards/soldiers of Dorne how easily Doran and his son let Jaime and Bronn get away with the murder of four of their own in cold blood. Ellaria could much more easily make an argument that Doran is too caught up in playing at larger games to take care of his own people following the pardoning of the two Lannister interlopers.

I guess off-screen conspiracies just don't bug me.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bobo the Red posted:

...having essentially all of Dorne join in is maddeningly nonsensical, and by far the shittiest writing on the show.

I agree. In large part because of how little the show had to do to sell this version of the story.

Jaime's entire Dorne plot is insanity. Because they sold this immense danger to him showing up in Dorne - a Lannister in a region that hates him - and outside of one fight, he faces barely any opposition. They could've shown popular unrest with Doran for Oberyn's death. They could've shown a region tearing itself apart, out for Lannister blood. They showed a couple dudes on a beach, then a fancy garden.

If they staged even one scene of a rioting crowd, of people cursing Doran for choosing inaction, it would've rendered Ellaria's insurrection believable. And they didn't really try to do that...a total failed opportunity.

(Also Alexander Siddig is a solid actor and they didn't utilize him at all.)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The way Dorne is handled makes my arguments that D&D don't know what the gently caress they're doing, are horrible hack frauds, and are just trying to compress everything down as much as they can (as opposed to the faithfully-adapted first 4 seasons) so they can just be done with the show. It's disgusting and disappointing. Leaving the only REAL resolution to the story once again in GRRM's hands, where it'll never reach conclusion because he's fat and old and doesn't write.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dorne was poorly handled but I'm glad of them speeding up because season 5 was boring as poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Apoplexy posted:

The way Dorne is handled makes my arguments that D&D don't know what the gently caress they're doing, are horrible hack frauds, and are just trying to compress everything down as much as they can (as opposed to the faithfully-adapted first 4 seasons) so they can just be done with the show. It's disgusting and disappointing. Leaving the only REAL resolution to the story once again in GRRM's hands, where it'll never reach conclusion because he's fat and old and doesn't write.

Dorne had been mentioned too much too early to just ignore them. So they had to include SOME sort of interactions to personalize the leaders of Dorne. Martin has done an absolutely poo poo job in the books, and D&D made it better simply by giving Pedro Pascal more screentime than the book suggested, and giving the sand snakes less.

Then came the Jamie + Bronn infiltration mission. They planned resolutions first (sand snakes take over, kill myrcella), then tried to shoehorn some way to make it happen. It was inept and implausible.

I don't think Martin can fix Dorne. D&D have been fine, and tend to do better when they break away from Martin's literal writing (see: of Tarth, Brienne)

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Eh, Dorne is a Johnny-come-lately plot, book and show. They were never supposed to be the main heroes, just some support. So it makes sense not to focus on them and delegate "the people hate you" to Ellaria saying "the people hate you", and having the actual coups and plotting largely offscreen.

The one decision that I found absolutely great on the show, though, was killing Doran in favour of Ellaria. Most everyone before Season 6 predicted that it would be the reverse. So it was cool to see that they went the literally less-predicted way in choosing the exchangeable Dorne ruler unit to support Dany.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The exposition required to have other noble families involved in the coup would be so drat boring to most viewers. In retrospect, they should've cut Dorne, but Pedro made them optimistic. Oh well, what's done is done, though the least important and time-consuming storyline sure gets a lot of attention.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Also the only woman fighters we see from Dorne are bastard children with nothing else going for them.

counterpoint: the bad poosay

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ned Stark was the Hank Hill of Westeros.

And Tywin was the Red Forman.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
From what little of Gorm the Olds books I have read... does this entire fantasy world not make much sense and seem way more complex and yet way too simple for it's own good? Like all the interweaving of plot and counter plot and yet it all seems a bit, I dunno. not dull but a bit too convoluted to make that much sense?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

From what little of Gorm the Olds books I have read... does this entire fantasy world not make much sense and seem way more complex and yet way too simple for it's own good? Like all the interweaving of plot and counter plot and yet it all seems a bit, I dunno. not dull but a bit too convoluted to make that much sense?

Things that don't make sense:

- The time scale of everything is ludicrously long and technologically stagnant. Civilization in GoT progresses at about 1/10th the speed that it does in reality.

- Dovetailing with that is that seasons of indeterminate length would make advanced civilization, even such as depicted, impossible. Think about it--a winter that lasts years would set off a mass die-off/migration out of unsustainable lands, and most "societies" would resemble the Dothraki.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Things that don't make sense:

- The time scale of everything is ludicrously long and technologically stagnant. Civilization in GoT progresses at about 1/10th the speed that it does in reality.

- Dovetailing with that is that seasons of indeterminate length would make advanced civilization, even such as depicted, impossible. Think about it--a winter that lasts years would set off a mass die-off/migration out of unsustainable lands, and most "societies" would resemble the Dothraki.

There could be a conspiracy of maesters keeping technological advancement under wraps. They ARE the sole arbiters of the advance of such things, pretty much, as sage-scientist-doctors

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's a huge misunderstanding of how civilisations work. They don't necessarily continue to progress towards technological achievements like ours is currently. We've had civilisations on earth that lasted for thousands of years that progressed at what we would consider a very slow rate. Sometimes they stagnate. Sometimes they even regress technologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

There's a channel on youtube I follow that does video essays, and they did one about this very topic not too long ago. I thought it was a pretty interesting take on why things are "stagnant" in the Game of Thrones universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdKmx0PW7s

• Locked thread