Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
e: This contest is now closed! Please check out the voting thread to see the entries and help decide on a winner!

Welcome to the ICSA 66/NICSA 18 cooking competition!

The theme this time is 'Round The World and is designed to push you into cooking a wide variety of new world cuisines while also giving you plenty of creative latitude in choosing what you want to make. Specifically you'll be given a list of continents and challenged to make one dish characteristic of each continent that will (hopefully) all compliment each other as a meal. More on that later...

This is also an attempt to combine the challenging Iron Chef Something Awful (ICSA) contest with a more beginner-friendly Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful (NICSA) so people of all skill levels can participate. Effectively this means that we'll have one kick-off thread (this thread right here) but two sets of rules, two sets of voting threads, and two sets of prizes at the end. Choose the level you'd like to compete at and read on!

ICSA Tier Rules

Take the seven continents of the world (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Antarctica, Asia, and Australia), toss out Antarctica and whichever continent you happen to live on, and make a meal featuring five dishes based on the cuisines of some part of the remaining five continents.

e.g. If you live in North America you'd have to make five dishes with one each representing South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia.

The ICSA contest will get its' own separate voting thread at the end the winner will get an amazing prize - An Anova Precision sous vide circulator donated by the incredibly generous Captain Bravo!

[Ed. note - this Anova is an out-of-the box gently used item that the good Captain assures us is in pristine condition. Considering that circulators don't touch actual food and run long/hot enough to sterilize themselves it shouldn't be a problem, but you've been informed. Also, since it's already been purchased it can't be exchanged for something else so if you already have one and win maybe you could pass it along to the #2 person or something cool like that, k?]

NICSA Tier Rules

Take the seven continents of the world (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Antarctica, Asia, and Australia), exclude Antartica and whichever continent you happen to live on, and make one to three dishes where each one is based on cuisine from the remaining continents. Of course you'll probably impress the judges more if you make three things or if you do multiple dishes all at once, but if you just wanna try one thing and do it up really well or do three things at different times that's cool too.

Oh yeah - this tier is for newbies so no pro chefs or previous NICSA/ICSA winners allowed!

The NICSA contest will get it's own separate voting thread and at the end the winner will get a copy of The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, or some equivalent-ish book or gift certificate if you already have it.

Common Rules

If you want to participate please do so by posting in this thread and stating if you plan to compete in NICSA or ICSA tier. You can start dreaming up what you want to make now but the official contest will run May 1 to May 31. During that time you can go make your food, take pretty pictures of the major steps and the results, and then post your own thread in this forum with NICSA or ICSA in the title and link to it from this thread. Come June 1 I'll round up all the entries and make two voting threads that will stay up for a week. Then the winners get their prizes, everyone else gets to crib their recipes, and we're done!

F.A.Q., Clarifications, and other Errata:

* What about my fusion recipe for Bahn Mi filling in a Cornish pasty shell? Does that count as Asian or European?
If you can argue that some recipe could conceivably hail from two or more different continents then just pick which ever continent slot you want and make something else for the other continent(s). Each dish can only satisfy the requirement for one continent slot.

* Do I have to sign up before the May 1 start date?
Nope, you can sign up whenever you want between now and the end of the contest on May 31, but your entry thread has to be posted and linked here by the time I make the voting threads on June 1.

* What counts as a 'dish' here?
Anything that you'd normally order as a separate item at a restaurant. Appetizers, salads, specialty drinks, main course, sides, deserts... all good. If you're really in doubt just ask in this thread and we'll go with the opinion of the majority of posters.

The world is a big place filled with delicious food, let's go exploring.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do australians eat anything else?

I have it on good authority that they like shrimps on the barbie, Foster's beer, and bushmeat. Hope that helps.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's officially May 1 according to my calendar, so the contest has started!

You can still sign up until things end on May 31 when all entry threads are due. I'll be writing up the voting threads on June 1 and then leave them up for a week for voting.

Bon appétit! / Smakelijk! / بالهناء والشفاء / بالهنا والشفا / 食飯! / Guten Appetit! / कृपया भोजन का आनंद लीजिये! / いただきます / Kia mākona / Приятного аппетита! / Ditampi / Chúc ngon miệng / Sop megh!

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Mid_Ben posted:

Hooo Boy, Haven't done one of these in forever.

I'm in, but can I pick whether or not I do ICSA or NICSA at the point of submission?

Yep, you're free to choose up until the point you submit your entry thread. Just make it clear which one you're shooting for so I know what voting thread to put you in.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

If the country is on some ambiguous border of two continents just pick whichever continent you want it to count as and make a different thing for the other continent.

I prefer to err on the side of keeping things fun and about making nifty food rather than get into pedantic rules lawyering over exactly where the origin of each dish is relative to the nearest tectonic plate boundary. Just chill out and have fun, y'all.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

I just noticed that the GWS Wiki is back online and has a section split out into regional cuisines. Hopefully helpful for those of you still fishing for ideas!

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Admin note: For the next few days I'll be traveling throughout an area that is more known for its vast expanses of unspoiled wilderness than its amazing cell coverage. I will be checking in by phone whenever we're in the vicinity of a municipal center with at least a triple digit population, but just expect a 12 or so hour lag between replies for the coming weekend. Hopefully y'all are capable of running yourself for that long and I'll be back to civilization proper by late on the 31st in time to make voting threads on the 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

And the contest is closed! I'll be writing up the voting thread shortly, but for now I see Hopper, Scientastic, Mid_Ben, and Phil Moscowitz competing in the ICSA category and it appears that all our NICSA folks dropped out (awwww! If you had submitted a bowl of microwaved oatmeal you would have won!)

If I missed anyone lemme know!

e: Voting thread is up!

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 2, 2016

• Locked thread