Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I have it.

it's a little heavy-handed on the "HEY REMEMBER STAR FOX 64????" moments but there's a lot of quality there. it does feel like a real star fox game for the first time since 64. the story mode is pretty short but it's meant to be played through multiple times with alternate routes etc.

I've read a lot of criticism about the motion controls but they're not bad at all. if you can aim the bow in wind waker hd, you can shoot a laser. also krystal isn't in it

Anyone else playing it?

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I think its great, it has a lot of replayability

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
whoops i ordered it

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The shoehorning different vehicles and play styles seems a bit much but I'll give it a try. If the arwing feels are good then I could get by on just that and try to ignore the rest.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
the motion controls are only for aiming on the cockpit view screen, and not for flying.

you can toggle from "motion controls are on all the time" to "motion controls only while shooting"

It takes some getting used to for sure, but in the end I think its fine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'll probably check it out sometime, OP.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Was looking forward to it for a while now, but like no one is talking about it so I don't know if I should get it or not.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played it at a friend's and there is zero reason for the tablet poo poo in the game. it could be played with a classic controller but instead i have to look down at the tablet and up at the screen, back and forth constantly.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

i played it at a friend's and there is zero reason for the tablet poo poo in the game. it could be played with a classic controller but instead i have to look down at the tablet and up at the screen, back and forth constantly.

I haven't had trouble aiming with the pad without actually looking down.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Nostradingus posted:

I haven't had trouble aiming with the pad without actually looking down.

Yeah but why. Why have this. WHY

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

Yeah but why. Why have this. WHY

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

l'me: platinum is the last bastion of good gaming
platinum making starfox: well we HAVE to use a tablet gimmick even if it makes the game objectively worse
l'me:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've done all the levels and finished 3 routes so far. The tablet gyro aiming is actually important and makes the game better because you can aim at poo poo you wouldn't be able to even see otherwise. The worst thing by far imo is that voice audio only comes out of the gamepad, but I fixed that by plugging my gamepad audio into my pc and listening to it through my headset.

About arcade mode (the real game imo). You can only carry 1 extra life at a time. Basically if you have 3 gold rings you have an extra life. Die without 3 rings and and its game over, back to the beginning star fox. Good luck.

I'm going for all the routes for sure.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sf64 was the first game I got good at, probably played it 500 times as a kid. so I'm definitely the target market... but... $60 is too much for a poor who just got ds3

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

:eyepop:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Are those all the levels in the game or are there sneaky hidden ones?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Are those all the levels in the game or are there sneaky hidden ones?

there's 12 main levels and 8 secret ones. most of the secret ones are short but there are a couple that are decently long.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i heard it was bad, but i'm very happy to hear that actually its good

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Soral posted:

i heard it was bad, but i'm very happy to hear that actually its good

turns out games reviewers dont know jack poo poo!!!!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

im happy that you like the game op

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sometimes this game is easy, but then sometimes its hard <- an actual complaint i read in a review for this game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

sometimes this game is easy, but then sometimes its hard <- an actual complaint i read in a review for this game

to be fair, sometimes games do difficulty curve really badly and you'll have stuff like the first level being almost unbeatable and then the rest of the game is just watching scenery go by

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Larry Parrish posted:

to be fair, sometimes games do difficulty curve really badly and you'll have stuff like the first level being almost unbeatable and then the rest of the game is just watching scenery go by

kinda like reading threads on here sometimes

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Contra Calculus posted:

ha.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Contra Calculus posted:

You complete loving bastard.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

im happy that you like the game op

thank u, im happy too

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

my thumbs are the pilot, my hands are the gunner, i am both at once and this is transcendental gaming. simply amazing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ive only played the first 4 levels but I like the game even though I'm still not used to everything yet.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

the star wolf parts are insanely fun in this game, especially the last encounter when you have no wingmen to draw their fire.

i suck at the boss fights though, it feels like it takes me forever to actually kill them.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

elf help book posted:

my thumbs are the pilot, my hands are the gunner, i am both at once and this is transcendental gaming. simply amazing.

this. motion controls read my mind. the reviewers are so retarded its embarrassing. did you know pressing select swaps the screens?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Contra Calculus posted:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

There's nothing quite like Star Fox 0

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

when star wolf shows off their transformations, yes!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

was it star fox 64 or snes star fox that had the insane slot machine gimmick level with the distorted nightmare faces?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I really really loving hate the controls in this game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mycophobia posted:

motion controls are cancer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i looked on star fox 64 on the 3ds eshop to complement this and it's still full price even though it's a game from the 3ds launch :I

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mycophobia posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012